“Blasting good break we had! Thank you, Hard Rock.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Penang

Save Saved
You added Hard Rock Hotel Penang to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Singapore
“Blasting good break we had! Thank you, Hard Rock.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have four young children traveling with me (age 9 and below) and wanted to be sure before our trip happened, that we had the right rooms for my family and my in-laws who preferred quieter rooms. The great service started from the moment I enquired with the hotel on my reservations and put in my requests of having connecting rooms in a quieter area so that my kids could take their naps and Patrice Chan never failed to reply my emails with great advice (connecting Lagoon rooms are closer to the center of the building but he gave me an option if I'd like to have the rooms nearer to the kids pool or Hard Rock Cafe). So, I'd just have to pass on this useful tip - rooms in the right wing are closer to the kids pool, i.e. you have to walk less to the pool and the kids club (which is complimentary!).

If you plan to chill just at the hotel, like us, the Lagoon rooms are great because the pool is just right outside your doorstep. Although a little noisy during the day, it's nice to lounge at the balcony and see the world go by/ monitor your kids from the patio. Bring your own floaties (rental starts at RM10 per day) like us, and you will have a great time floating or transporting dry towels/ toys/ camera like us, in our inflatable boat, across the lagoon to other parts of the pool. Our rooms were near the lounge but luckily they offer great music that ends no later than 11pm each night. Anyway, I found out we were all too tired with the activities during the day that we slept soundly even with the music.

The hotel was running on full house during the weekend we were there, but the quality of the food, service in the restaurants and staff were top notch. Pizza, pasta from Pizzeria were tasty and the trick is to put in your order and gather up everyone else for showers/ drying up whilst the staff set the tables. Breakfast offered a wide range of local and international dishes and they were topped up quickly once the serving was running low.

Everyone were friendly, helpful and comes with a 'can-do' attitude. Hotel was smart to provide pool bands and beach towels in the room, upon check-in which was great as we don't need to get our bearings right and pick up those towels before jumping right into the pool!

The beach was clean, but we were told there were jellyfish in the sea. Despite that - we have the sand pool in the hotel anyway - we had a good time jet-skiing, para-sailing, horse-riding along the beach.

I tried the Rock Spa and therapist Mary did a good job. I told her to focus on my neck which she did but did an equally good job everywhere else. She forewarned me that my muscles might ache a little the next day and asked for my preference if I'd like my neck to be cracked. I appreciated that, than having caught off guard with a sudden twist even though I enjoy that experience. My only complaint was the RM50 surcharge to use an air-conditioned room (versus the outdoor cabana).

Lastly, the 3 slides in the hotel provided a lot of fun for ages from 2 - 64. Manageable with no age/ weight limit, no ban of swimming rings (the kids used them to speed up the descend) and life guards always on duty, it was the best entertainment.

We look forward to returning in the near future. Thanks Hard Rock for a rocking good time!

Room Tip: Right wing rooms are closer to the kids pool/ Pizzeria. Rooms on the left wing faces a bigger lagoon...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at HRH Penang from 13-17 Jun 2013 with my parents, our friends with 2 children (9 and 12mths) and our 3 young children (9,5 and 4).

The staff was friendly and definitely helpful. We would like to thank the Concierge team who managed to get us a van to go shopping during a Saturday when they were running full and everything was too.

We had booked a King's Double room but was pleasantly surprised when upgraded to a suite where our room was located near the lift, considering we had young children. But of course, the view from our room was breathtaking.

The pool was the highlight for our children and they did not have time to get bored. There were activities for both the boys and girls everyday at the hotel.

We could have simply chilled and lazed around at the hotel if we wanted to. Hard Rock Hotel Penang will definitely be our choice if we ever revisit Penang.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the pool linked to it if you do not have younger children.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Came to this hotel for a 2-night resort stay. The service is generally very good with their staff going out their way to make the stay comfortable. Service as they may provide, it did seem at times that they are a bit exhausted for their effort. Didn't have that "Hard Rock" service feel, more of a typical unexceptional service feel.

The rooms were of a decent-size with comfortable beds and tea-and-coffee facilities. Despite earlier reviews that it can get a bit boisterous at night when the band get going, the double-glazed (I think) balcony doors did a good job insulating the music outside. I suspect the previous reviewer had left the balcony doors opened to hear the waves, thus the music became an issue.

I have a minor gripe over the shower facilities. It can get quite irritating when it is difficult to fix the shower at a certain temperature. It came to a point where it was either too hot or too cold. Clearly the plumbing's a bit aged to have this issue.

The swimming pools have three water slides and a water playground. It kept my girl engaged for a few hours.

Security-wise, the hotel had enough alert staff around and a restricted lift access system to give the guests a peace-of-mind during their stay there.

Another gripe about the hotel is that it is a bit far from the night markets, despite the hotel guide stating that its a 5-min walk. Realistically it was about 10-12 min walk, more hazardous when done at night. Not recommended for families. Didn't try to take the public bus as I wasn't sure how regular it would be.

Overall, it was a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Helpful check-in staff who went out of his way to find us a room that we wanted (sea-facing with bath-tub, king bed, non smoking) Haha sorry we were going to be spending lots of time in the room so we wanted a room that we reallyreally like. Most staff were helpful and friendly, it felt like they were all friends!

We arrived around 12pm, and were immediately given a room, even though check-in was supposed to be around 3 i think.

The room was great, quite big which was a surprise because I really expected their rooms to be smaller, lol. Room was clean and the toiletries were all yummy smelling.

Lil Rock was quite fun (although I have to add, I think their staff here should wear more proper clothes... as in maybe longer shorts?? I could see the buttcheeks of one of the staff ... major eeeew! I took my kids out once I saw that!)

We ordered room service on our last day .... the ribs were SO good!

Pool was fun, my kids loved it. The sand made our legs feel really itchy though, I don't know why ... but overall it was fun.

My only complaint is that it's a bit far from the airport and city centre.

I will so return to HRH if we visit Penang again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Really love this hotel.!!. Love the smell of the place, staffs are so friendly and helpful.
The poolside rooms were best thing of ths hotel.
Kids enjoyed the stay as well as adults. Will always recommend this hotel to anyone..
My special hearfelt thanx to the bar manager Mr. Nathan and kenny, for their hospitality.
You guys really rocked our stay in HR hotel! Will definately come back here..

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are the best!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Very nice stay in the hotel, from the reception to the spa... All the places we were treated very professionally by all... Only one disappointment thar when i sent my kids to the kids club called lil'rock, i was not much satisfied with their staff appearance because even their job is to look at kids, i feel they should be wearing more decent clothes. The moment i noticed that they were with their hanky panky shorts which makes some of them not professional, my impression towards their professionalism changed. All over the hotel, were very decent n rocking but in the name of rock, those lil'rock staffs are being very unpleasant with that attire. Overall, hotel was good.

• Stayed June 2013
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had booked to stay at this hotel for a week but stayed only 3 nights, transferring with the help of both the Hard Rock's reception team and our booking agents Hotels.com to the simply lovely, no perfect for the relaxing we desire Westin Hotel & Resort, LangKawi. Let me explain, if you like music blasting out all day whilst huddled around a relatively small set of pools then this hotel will be good for you! Internally the hotel and rooms are clean, trendy and of a good quality, staff are young and energetic and food is simple but tasty. In summary, we would say this is a good weekend away, let your hair down hotel (for couples under 35). One last point, there's not a lot to do in Penang, I would even go so far as to say it's a bit grubby!

Room Tip: To not hear the loud both daytime and until late night music 3rd or 4th floors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!