“Very friendly and fun hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Penang

Save Saved
You added Hard Rock Hotel Penang to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Relax & Feast Package
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“Very friendly and fun hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there with hubby and my two sons in the lil rock suite. Room is very clean and spacious, though I find the bathroom a bit small. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast selection was good. The first morning we were being ushered to the pizzeria to have our breakfast. The second morning we had it at the restaurant. Both location were good. Definitely going to return if we were to visit Penang again.

• Stayed June 2013

1,299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Is a fun place to stay, we paid the extra for lagoon room away from main entrance and glad we did for a little peace and quiet. There is a lot of families which adds a nice buzz but nice to get a quiet part of the pool.

First Hard Rock experience rooms are large and clean. Shower is awesome bed is super comfy. In room dining was tasty for lazy lunches and 15 minute walk from centre of restaurants and night markets.

Stayed 4 nights and felt plenty to explore the area. If you can get a good deal and skip school holidays think the winner along this strip.

• Stayed May 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our family of four stayed in a Lil Rock Suite for three nights. Early June was a hectic period and it got a while before we were able to get into the room. Having said that, we were early and they managed to have it ready before the stipulated 3pm. Still we appreciated the effort by the reception to arrange for us to have refreshment at Starz Diner while waiting.

Room : Room was nice and clean. My two kids loved the part of "their" room which housed their beds where they could also find Playstation, books and stuff toys. Our minibar fridge was not working, and they quickly got it replaced with another.

Breakfast : I read from earlier reviews about the breakfast, Though it did not have a heavy spread and there were few changes everyday, I would say that it was good and it has a good mix of local and western choices.

Accessibility : The only drawback I would say of the hotel is that it is less accessible to the main buzz of Batu Ferringhi which is the stretch between Golden Sand and Holiday Inn hotels, where you would find the night market and various F&B choices. To get there, one could either walk, take a bus (101 or 102 - which bus-stop is in front of HRH) or take the Hard Rock Cafe shuttle van which runs every half hour from 6.30pm.

Travelling to/fro the airport : We boarded a "white taxi" which we paid RM74 at a counter at the airport. The taxi fare from the hotel to the airport was agreed at RM70.

Taxi : Drivers do not use the meter. All were agreed before the trip. Examples - Gurney to HRH @ RM30; Komtar to HRH @ RM35; Penang Hill to HRH @ RM50.
If you do not use taxis, you could take bus 101 to Georgetown. Adult fare would be RM2,70 and there is concession for children.

Overall, it is a good stay and we hope to be back next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Checked into the property on the 8 June, 3 night stays hill view room. Excellent place for family with children age 12 and below, teens can visit the teens room with foos ball and pool table that are chargeable. X box was down on the second and third night of our stay till we check out, guys at the teens room are the only plus point of this 4 or 5 stars property. Thanks to Anthony and Amir for their warm hospitality, always there with a smile!

Do not expect or try your luck to check in earlier than 3pm, was there at 12:30, waited for 45mins till the front office staff inform me that there will be a room ready for me in 10 mins time. 10 mins later was told there was a mistake in the system updated by the housekeeping, I have to wait for awhile, they will check, this was repeated to me 3 times. Total waiting time to check into the room was 1hr and 35mins. The heat in the lobby with limited ceiling fan and guests that allow to smoke in the lobby where all guests are waiting to check in, makes the wait unbearable.
Room allocated (#240)with hill view was no view at all, only view was the building of another hotel and 1/8 of the hill.

Room service ordered for a chicken burger was good, maybe because we were hungry after the long wait for our room. Breakfast at the Starz was an eye opening, was not being informed that the outdoor is a smoking area (my mistake tat I take it for granted) please tell them if you prefer non smoking area. The underliner for serving gear at the prata station was like a scoop in a bowl of curry water, yes, you have to use that scoop to scoop your curry. I almost mistaken that is the curry for my prata. Service staff clear the plates like the coffee shop way, stack up sky high and fingers in the mugs to clear tables. Fried noodles was soggy, nuggets over fried, sausages taste funny, only 1 flavour yoghurt. Overall feeling is you are not having an American buffet breakfast, should call it Malaysian buffet breakfast, where I can lower down my expectation for an international branding property. Pizzeria will be an option for decent meal if you are like me trap in the hotel because of the heavy downpour, service was good, food yummy, reasonable price. You can forget about going to hard rock café, almost same menu as the room service. Ordered a promotion 10oz legendary burger, come with a drink and desert. Was told that the drink is free flow (thinking good deal) when asked for a refill, the other service staff said cannot. Okay, try my luck to ask another service staff, SURE! I top up for you, now you see these 2 staffs exchanging amongst themselves, whether can or cannot. Final verdict, sorry CANNOT. 5 minus later, came back and ask if I want a refill. Excuse me, we Singaporean can be "kiasu" at times but not cheapo. Doesn't means free, we will take. The burger was a disappointment, beef patties was not juicy, even if asked for medium done, turn out to be well done and accompanied with over fried fries.

Room was not make up after I return in the afternoon at 4pm the next day, that where I questioned about their priority from housekeeping department. Duty manager Farzil, came up and apologize, service recovery was to have breakfast in the club lounge the following morning. Very kind of him, but the breakfast selection was identical at the starz. Only difference is the service and the view. My intention of providing negative comments, is not to get something out of it but to send them a reminder that there is a branding guideline for them to live up to their standard. Didn't go back for evening cocktail at the club lounge, because I don't want to be disappointed again.
To summarize, a BIG time disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Fabulous! We were tempted to just stay in the resort for the whole trip! It rained the following day so we went to Georgetown. Not much to see (maybe because it was a Sunday when we went and it was raining) It was better to just stay at Hard Rock and enjoy the pool or hang out at the cafe.
The pool was the highlight of the trip. There was also a foam party when we went but we just watched from the hotel room.
We also took advantage of the free shuttle service to long beach night market at 6:30pm. We had dinner there. It was great! So may food options! I also had fresh fruit shakes. Good thing we went early since tons of people came after we ate. We bought some souvenirs too at the night market. The first night we took the cab home (there was also a shuttle bus from the hotel but we didn't want to wait), the next night we walked from the night market to hard rock - I don't recommend this if you are not in a group since some portions are a bit dark and there's no sidewalk so you have to walk along the street where cars go by. It's about a 10 minute walk from where the night market ends (there's a big thai seafood restaurant along the way which was buzzing with people - it seemed like a popular restaurant)
My friend tried the spa and it was just so so. He said the masseuse seemed like he was in a hurry to finish. (yes since the female masseuse were all booked out)
The breakfast was nothing spectacular. I'd give it a 3/5. We had snacks at the pizzeria everything they served was delicious. We liked the spaghetti with tomato sauce the best. (I forgot the name) I requested a quiet room so they gave us the room towards the end of the hallway which was 306/308 and I liked it. (I think this is the seaview room - overlooking the pool and the beach.) Otherwise I'd assume it would be noisy at night especially since this is the "hard rock". We went on a weekend so it was really crowded. Apart from that, I enjoyed it even with the number of people. The place was huge enough anyway. Stay at hard rock and you won't regret it. I highly recommend this place and I'm sure when I visit Penang, I definitely would book hard rock again. I'd pick the Lagoon room next time so we could have instant access to the pool.

Room Tip: stay longer in hrh! If you plan to go to georgetown it's better to hire a taxi for a few hours...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent place for all ages. Kids love the pool. The parents love the environment and ambience. The room and facilities were lovely. The only drawback for us was when we asked for the menu from the restaurant crew because we wanted to have something to eat by the pool side but the menu did not came. We are coming again. Stay rockin' yo.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Had a short weekend vacation here. The kids love the water park, can't seem to get enough of it. We had the lil rock suites which the kids love because they have their own room and a play station to keep them occupied when we decide to get out of the afternoon heat. The pools here are great and despite the hotel's popularity you can find quiet spots to soak in the pool.

We spent most of the time in the hotel, venturing out only to get some of Penang's street food. It's a great place for families if all you want is a place to chill out, have the kids entertained with the water park. In fact this experience has started us looking at other hotels with small water parks in it for the boys.

Staff here are really friendly. Breakfast is served in two restaurants which is great so it isn't too busy. The food is what you'd expect of any good quality hotel in Asia. We also dined at at the Hard Rock Cafe which the kids liked.

Only thing on the wish list was more time and perhaps if they could start the water park earlier, for early risers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!