“Spectacular sight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thousand Island Lake (Qiandao Hu)

Thousand Island Lake (Qiandao Hu)
Qiandaohu Town, Chun'an County 311700, China
Singapore, Singapore
51 attraction reviews
“Spectacular sight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Thousand-Island Lake, south west of Zhejiang province is indeed a shining pearl on the Hangzhou-Huangshan Mountain tourist route. Comprising 1,079 large islands and a long zig-zag lakeshore line with green mountains, fresh air and clean water, it is spectacular, breathtaking and scenic and worthwhile visit. We cruised around the lake and savoured the famous, delicious and wonderful fish head soup for lunch on board. Only it was a wee bit too salty! We also had land visits as part of the boating experience, cable rides up and down to the highest peak for a bird's eye view of the lake. Indeed, it was a trip to remember!

Visited March 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hangzhou, China
7 attraction reviews
“Bad trip for us because ill-organized. Nice area though, maybe you'll be luckier than us!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I've been there in a bus from Hangzhou. I loved the trip because there was aircon, and it was my first trip since I arrived in Hangzhou.
But then it's been a nightmare because we couldn't speak Chinese well enough. In the hotel, a customer had to call a friend who could speak English so we could understand. And we couldn't find a nice and cheap boat to go through the lake, so we just enjoyed the view and went home early.
This is a nice place for tourism, but I've seen only chinese people, it's a shame it's not made for "laowai".
Any advice before you go there? Learn Chinese first, and you have to enjoy Chinese way of tourism (big boats, noisy guides, crowded in the most touristic places...)

Visited July 2011
Brisbane, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Go privately and out of season - or not at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was part of our company office outing. We left our Hangzhou hotel early - around 7.00 and climbed on a dilapidated bus. foregt aircon at the back and any seats that became available were quickly filled by what appeared to be just general passengers. Lord knows where they came from but they got on and off at the most weird place, like at the side of a motorway! Many hours later, after the ubiquitous pearl shop/silk shop stop we were herded (no better word) on to mass transit boat for a ferry ride to three of the islands connected to each other by floating walkways. The walk through these was nothing short of horrific and I spent the whole time wondering why I was there at all. my advice - do not take a Chinese tour to this place. I used to think ICT meant information and communication technology but I realise it stands for 'insane Chinese tourism' - and that's what this was. I cannot believe that anyone on ANY of the mass tours who overran the islands enjoyed their day. I'm equally sure that the organisers were deighted with the day. If you must have a look a perfectly ordinary man-made lake with the tops of former mountains showing, then go out of season (if there is such a time in tourist-mad China), and book everything privately - car, small boat, private restaurant. This was probably the worst trip I've had in China. I exaggerate not!

Visited July 2011
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Thousand-Islets Lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2005

One word for the Thousand-Islets Lake: BEAUTIFUL. My trip was fantastic... There were animals on the islands too! I took a picture with an ostrich and my mom took one of two ostriches making love (aww). Monkey Island was pretty cool. If you have the chance, visit Thousand-Islets Lake!!! You get a driver to drive a speedboat around to awesome islands in the lake. My cousin caught a couple small fish too; of course, he let them back into the water. :]