“Very nice hotel and location but staff need to improved” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Qiandao Lake Resort

You added Sheraton Qiandao Lake Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Qiandao Lake Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Xin'an North Road, Qiandao Lake Town, Chun'an County 311700, China   |
Ranked #4 of 134 Hotels in Chun'an County
4.5 of 5 stars 152 Reviews
Kunshan, China
“Very nice hotel and location but staff need to improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed one night in the hotel during a road trip through China. First of all I have to say, the facility and the location is very nice. I got a lake view room and it is just beautiful to look outside your room. Check-In could be improved. There were 5 staff members at the check in desk, 2 were on the phone and 3 others were taking care of one other customer, which was the only one besides me at the desk. I waited around 5 minutes without anyone was even recognizing me. At least a short, please wait a moment from one of the members would made the check a little better. The room was very nice and clean and with a balcony with 2 chairs and a table. But I had the feeling, that the air-condition was not powerful enough. I had never the feeling that the room was cooling down good, but it worked on a level of acceptance. The air-con problem I discovered more or less in the whole hotel, especially in the lobby, where it was very hot. I was a little surprised that there was no dinner buffet during the week, only from Friday-Sunday. For me this is actually a bit surprising, because this Hotel is a kind of resort, so for my opinion it should offer full service in all areas. Especially for this price level, it is already at the higher level for Sheraton China hotels. Breakfast was ok, but even there I would expect a higher level of quality and choices for such a facility, but it was not bad. But what I have to mentioned and to highlight is the overall staff experience. Most of them do not recognized guests and a bit more passion during their job would make the guest experience much more valuable. At breakfast entry, the lady just check your room number and then waved her hands towards the room, which gives me the impression, ok, got you, now take care of yourself. We have to find a table by ourselves and nobody was coming to offer us coffee or tea. Proactivity of the staff is really an issue in this hotel, for everything you have to ask. English knowledge of the staff is also at the minimum level or sometimes it seems not existent at all. I am really not sure what the purpose of the hotel should be, with this really nice facility with a nice environment with the lake, but with a poor service for a high price point. I want to try this hotel again, because it is very nice located, I liked the room quality and the outside area, but I do hope they are working on the service and passion of the staff to meet the price point, the facility and the Sheraton brand experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Management T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Qiandao Lake Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear guest, first of all, on the behalf of hotel management, I have to thank you for your valuable comments to the hotel. Sheraton Qiandao Lake Resort is the 1000th hotel within Starwood worldwide, and it is also the first international 5-star hotel in Qiandao Lake town, we are aiming to be the best in town in all aspects. Service is the key to all, few staffs are junior, we need to give them more training, and this is an on-going task for us, but we are keeping doing it. Besides dinner buffet on weekend, our Fishing and Yue Chinese Restaurant opens daily, this gives other choices for in-house dinning guests. If you would like to come back again, please join us as a SPG member, and please believe us will do better every day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed in Sheraton before the Chinese Holidays (1st of October).
The good: very big hotel, new and clean. If you take the lake view rooms, you wont be disappointed. One of the best sunsets I saw in China. The rooms are comfortable and with a very nice balcony.

The bad: the food (western dishes) are quite a rip off. We ordered chicken and a milanese style veal cutlet. The chicken was extremely small. I complained about it but they say that the portions are like that. The other dish was OK in size (3 times bigger than the chicken) but tasted like old oil. Overpriced and not good. I would recommend to stick to Asian dishes.
The breakfast was good, many options both for Asian or Western choices.

The ugly: they charge for everything. You want to ride one of the only 2 bikes available (one is a single bike and the other is a double bike) you need to pay, a little less than 10 usd per hour. Still should be complimentary for the guests (or at least have more than 1 single bike and 1 double one).
We wanted to play ping pong in the gym area, again you have to pay. In this case about 12 usd per hour. It didnt make me feel like a guest of the hotel and I dont think is appropiate that many of the facilities (simple ones as the mentioned) should be charged extra. We walked around for a while and there is some kind of showroom for the nearby properties were they give us 2 bikes for free to use as long as we wanted. From Sheraton, I dont expect this.

The city is small, not too much to do, but is a calm and relaxing getaway from the always busy cities in China, with great views and clean air.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

located in a busy residential area surrounded by mud and high rises. Only has a slight connection to the lake, is in the middle of nowhere. Birdlife in the restaurant flying around the open buffet. Italian restaurant a complete joke. Pool table locked up and far too much trouble to find the key. Best part is checkout.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Suining
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed Monday through Friday during Mid July with my wife. Expecting the hotel to be frightfully busy we were pleasantly surprised that it was not, that the pools were operational and that all facilities were available.

Our room faced the lake on the non-smoking floor and had an inspiring view over the pools, lake and mountains beyond. The hotel arranged perfect weather for our stay as well! We made full use of the facilities and are happy to report the the gym, pool, table tennis room, bicycles and steam room were up to a standard expected. We ate at Feast restaurant and were generally happy with the food. Drinks by the pool, ice delivered to the room the level of service was at a level we would expect of a hotel of Sheraton standards.

Minuses - unfortunately these tend to be remembered more than positives. These included: some staff at Feast being unfamiliar with menu items. Time taken to deliver drinks. Items on the menu being served minus items listed. Warmth of food served. However it is worthy to note that if you go to the effort of bringing problems to the attention of management, that they are only too happy to rectify the situation.

Finally a mention of the lake and surrounds. We went to the effort to cycle along the lake. There weren't many if any places that we found to swim as entry to the lake was via sheer banks. The water in the lake was clear although I doubt that you would drink the water from it as claimed.

Overall it is well worth a trip to Qiandaohu and we would definitely return to stay at the Sheraton.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The rooms:
I booked two rooms in this hotel, one ocean view and one garden view. Both rooms were extremely clean. The garden view is a joke. There are massive constructions going on when I stayed but even if there aren't any constructions , all the skyscrapers will completely block your sight. On the other hand, the ocean view room does have an excellent view of the lake. There was also fireworks over on the lake side at night when I stayed there. It was probably a celebration of labor day in China. However, the garden view room was way more spacious than the ocean view room. So if you prefer more comfort than the view, garden view rooms would be a better choice.

The Service:
I think the services are topnotch. All the servers that I talked to tried their best to help me and I was really impressed.

The Grounds:
This is where I felt the hotel fell short on. Even though the grounds are beautiful, nothing outdoor was open at all. It was 30 degrees the day I stayed there and I was expecting to hang out by the pool or play some water. Of course I was let down big time on this.

Over all, i feel this Sheraton property is excellent. If their outdoor facilities were to open I would have gave them a 5 stars.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are bigger and more comfortable whereas ocean views have excellent views. Choose a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Suzhou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Qiandao hu resort because it was the only pet-friendly resort we could find in China. When we arrived with our German shepherd they wanted to send us straight out the revolving door. However, after checking with management that everything was in order they let us proceed and we had no more problems. Our room was very nice, but the best part was the view - absolutly priceless. The Sheraton is located in the best spot, if you're after the view, better than the Hilton. The food was really good and the staff competent and friendly. Also, the indoor pool, sauna and gym are great. We'll return in summer.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Large hotel, good beds (sweet sleeper standard). good breakfast. service - well, you are
large 25 m indoor pool and a couple outdoor pools. not busy, so not all outdoor pools were open.
way out of shanghai, so english can be a bit tricky. but they try hard.
the area requires good planning so you really can see the nice things.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Qiandao Lake Resort? Share your experiences!