Arrived in this 5 star establishment after a 3 hour drive from cape town, really looking forward to this place considering the amount of money we paid per night however we where left with a pretty miserable experience.
1. Whole place just feels neglected, the love has been lost and there is no internal controls.
2. Food is very basic 1 star a cross between prison food ( or what i imagine prison food to be like) and school food. 3 courses with 2 choices including chicken and chips, spinach ravioli which turned out to be buttenut ravioli, beurre blanc spelt ber blanc etc etc etc. 2 other couples where at the place when we arrived and both told us not to expect much from the food as it is "shocking"
3. First night when we arrived in the restaurant we had to go into the kitchen to tell the waiting staff that we where here for dinner, the next morning we arrived for breakfast at 8.30 am and there was no breakfast, the staff told me that they thought we where out at a game drive and they didnt expect us till 9am, we then had to wait (with a 4 year old) for an hour for breakfast
4. I used to work in the food industry and its pretty obvious that this chef is either incompetent or has a very tight food budget, the general consensus from all the guests where the same.
5. The inclusive wine list had a selection of the cheapest wine you can buy, La Motte 44 rand a bottle, diermesdal 50 rand a bottle etc etc
6. The room while very comfortable was tatty, balcony has bird crap all over it, on the outdoor furniture crap everywhere, a birds nest was actually on the doorway and the birds where crapping everywhere. Window ledges had dead flies and insects all over it etc etc.
7.Kids club wasnt looked after, paints not replenished, games not fixed, no game walks, or nature walks with the kids, no instructions for the tv etc
so overall very dissapointed i complained to the assistant manager and simply no recognition of the issues, very sad and would def not recommend to anyone else.
consider that the full price for this place is 7,000 rand per night per couple
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Despegar.com so you can book your Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - Tilney Manor, Dwyka Tented Lodge, Gondwana Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - Tilney Manor, Dwyka Tented Lodge, Gondwana Hotel