We stayed in a Superior King room that had a separate bedroom with king bed, a nice bathroom with towel heater and a living area with small kitchenette, dining table, couch, and single bed in the back. It felt like coming home after a long day of hiking in the cold - we were able to snuggle on the couch with a nice cuppa and watch a movie (borrowed from the office) before going off to bed. The bed was comfortable, and the whole unit heats up quickly - there are separate heaters for the living area and bedroom. Parking is included, just outside your room.
The best part of staying here though is the hospitality. Lorraine is wonderfully helpful, and seems genuinely happy to have you stay with her. It has the feel of a bed and breakfast, rather than a motel or lodge. She can help you pick out a movie, find a place for dinner, pick out a scenic drive, or point you to anything else you need. When we wanted to use the laundry facilities and hot tub, Lorraine was happy to set us up quickly. She even called our guide for us to check on the weather and what time she wanted us to meet her in the morning, before we could ask.
The breakfast was lovely (full cooked breakfast, porridge with fruit, or cereals/yogurts, etc. - lots of choices). For an extra $15, Lorraine set us up with lunches for the day we went hiking - there aren't a lot of places to grab a sandwich for your backpack in town. Our lunches included sandwiches, multiple snack bars, multiple pieces of fruit and a bit of chocolate. She even included a thermos of hot tea that stayed hot until we stopped for lunch. SO worth it.
Location is great - right off the main road, very near the turnoff to the Ruapehu ski areas, and a short trip to several other major hiking routes (including the Tongariro Crossing trail head). We walked to dinner both nights (less than 10 minutes).
This really is an excellent option in National Park - you'll be so happy you stayed here, and you'll leave feeling like you have friends in the area now.
- Also Known As:
- Adventure Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Adventure Hotel
- Adventure Lodge And Motel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hi and Welcome to Adventure National Park. Ron & Lorraine welcome you to their lodge and motel in National Park Village. We cater for families, groups, and the independent traveler. Your choice of deluxe one bedroom units with King size beds, standard studio motel units with Queen Size Beds and private facilities. Our budget lodge rooms with double beds or Twin share, shared bathrooms, lounge and kitchen. Bed and Breakfast options available. Comfortable warm beds, electric blankets, Sky TV in lodge and all units, drying room, Internet and wireless access available, large open fire, Dinner, Breakfast and a packed lunch available. Department of Conservation authorized shuttle to and from the Tongariro Crossing departing daily weather dependent, let us take care of you with our Tongariro Freedom Package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Venere, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your Adventure Lodge & Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.