“Tongariro Crossing took our breath away” 5 of 5 stars

0800 386 925
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun & Unique Adventure Guided Tours - Tongariro National ParkHiking / Biking / Paddling - Eating / Laughing / RelaxingNZ Adventure At its best!
Melbourne, Australia
“Tongariro Crossing took our breath away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Thanks to Sarah Cate and Lyell for an awesome experience hiking the Tongariro Crossing. Sarah Cate made the call to postpone the hike by one day due to weather and we ended up with the perfect day. Our guide Lyell was great and we were well equipped for the trek with crampons and ice axes. I found both extremely useful as there was slippery ice and thick snow once up in between the mountains. Noticed other groups left to their own devices and most without axes - some without crampons. Some looked lost. So glad we went with the best company around - it was obvious. We were guided the whole way, felt safe and learnt heaps about the volcanic area which was great. This is a freedom walk in the summer months but in winter a guide is necessary for safety purposes. Highly recommend using such a professional tour guide and making the most out of this experience. Crossing itself rated 10/10 - the snow was the icing on the cake - every step was magical. You have to do this hike!

3 attraction reviews
“Brilliant experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Thank you to Sarah Cate, Megan and Kena(?) for making our Tongariro Crossing such a special experience. The weather was perfect with unlimited visibility but probably a bit more snow than we had anticipated! Sarah Cate and the guides were well prepared and kitted us out with ice axes and crampons which proved invaluable.They were full of knowledge and encouragement which I needed to keep up with my athletic younger family members. The scenery is magnificent and our family group of 5 would rate this as one of our best days! The sight of the van, Sarah Cate and a beer were a delight at the end of a long, fab day P.S One of our sons found the gorgeous fleece pants in his bag when we returned home so I will post them back!

Visited May 2014
AOT616351, Owner at Adventure Outdoors - Private Day Tours, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Aww Michelle Thankyou so much What a wonderful review ! You are very kind, I love that you enjoyed your day And great that you appreciated the bus and the beer at the end of the day, 19.4km up and over a mountain isn't the easiest of things to do, Especially with that young & fit family of yours. Well done! I'm sure it was awesome seeing your photos on the big screen later. Great that you had snow on the track, makes for an extra beautiful day I reckon. Thankyou for appreciating the gear we gave you. As for the fleece pants That'd be great if you could send those back, c/ o Adventure Lodge & Motel National Park 3948 I can send you a postage paid if you like? You can email through your address if that helps. Well Michelle All the best to you, Thanks again for your kind review Maybe we will see you back for the kayaking trip next time. Kindest Regards Sarah Cate
Auckland Region, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
“An experiance not to missed if you appreciate the beauty of the river and environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

What an fantastic experience to spend with a group of friends, away from the normallities of life with a fabulous guide in Sarah who allows you to enjoy all the trills of the event without compromising your safety, a balance that we all admired. 11.5km down the river in about 3 hours on a beatiful day of fun an fravolity ending with a BBQ in the river side with just the souds of the babbiling river and laughter of the adventure being retold. Would leap at the opportunity to repeat with family, grandkids or friends.

Visited February 2014
AOT616351, Owner at Adventure Outdoors - Private Day Tours, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Wonderful review Thankyou ! I appreciate your time you took for this. We also had a fantastic day ! Lots of laughs with an outrageous bunch of blokes, I didn't worry one little bit :) , What an awesome day out! I'm glad you enjoyed the bbq at the end also. I hope you will continue your Annual Good Blokes Golfing trip ! Thankyou for the day and we hope to see you again sometime. Kindest Regards Sarah Cate
National Park Village, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
“Everyone should do this if staying in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I did the Kayaking trip with Sara the tour operator. The scenery is just stunning. The Kayaking trip was lots of fun with out being scary. I got some great photos, enjoyed the scenery and saw NZs rare blue duck, Tui and native wood pigeon. Sara gives lots of encouragement and makes the tour fun. I can't image anyone leaving feeling disappointed.

Visited January 2014
Hey !! Thankyou so much for your kind and wonderful review, Thankyou for taking the time We appreciate your efforts! We are glad you loved the trip and awesome that you noticed the beauty of the river and the native birds and surroundings. That was a lovely day. It was a joy taking you on our Adventure! Hope to see you back in the National Park sometime soon. Take care Kindest thoughts & Regards Sarah Cate
Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
“Tongariro Crossing - the best thing to do in NZ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

When my sister told me we were going to hike an active volcano during our trip to NZ, I was reluctant and to be frank it was the one part of our trip I was dreading the most. Well my attitude quickly changed as soon as we meet Sarah and Sarah from Adventure Outdoors at 6am to start the hike. They were both so delightful and full of energy, even at 6am in the morning! This helped set the tone for the long day ahead. We were a little underprepared, but the girls got us sorted with gloves and rain jackets which proved to be essential during the hike. Sarah Daniels was our personal guide for the day and her experience was invaluable. She knew precisely when to add another layer of clothing and how to shelter from inclement weather. She also educated us about the landscape which added enormously to the experience. Without her, our experience of the Crossing would have been less rewarding. When we stopped at Emerald Lakes, she offered us coffee. At first I thought she was joking, but before I knew it she pulled out a thermos and poured us all a warm cuppa. Other hikers around us were extremely envious. Also, the packed lunch they provided was delicious. At the end of the hike, we were greeted by Thomas who was waiting for us in the shuttle bus with cold refreshing brewskies! It was the perfect way to end the hike and celebrate the New Year! The Tongoriro Crossing is hands-down the best hike I have ever done. If you only do one thing in New Zealand, make sure it's Tongariro Crossing with Adventure Outdoors!

Visited December 2013
We love your review !!!! Thankyou so much! I passed this onto your Personal Guide and she was very happy to hear everything you had to say. I have read your review a few times now and it is so inspiring that you have brought out our every little detail. The small things that mean so much to us you have noticed ! This is very valuable feed back for us at Adventure Outdoors. I love how it all came to life at 6AM ! Well done to all of you for Hiking 19.4km up and over that mountain Awesome Effort! Thankyou for enjoying the hot coffee on the top and we are happy you loved our lunch. Thankyou again so much for you review, I hope you continue doing Adventures and challenging yourself as much as what you did on this day. All the best to you! We hope to see you again sometime, Kindest thoughts & Regards Sarah Cate & Sarah Daniel :)