“Excellent B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Otorohanga B&B and Inns
Helmond, The Netherlands
“Excellent B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Redwood Lodge is an excellent B&B, quite near Waitomo. The rooms are spacious. The breakfast is very good. Service is fine. Evening meals are availabble on request and are very good as well.
The surroundings are beautiful. There are animals on the farm. You can sit on the deck are near the swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This wonderful B & B is in a country setting with plenty of peace and quiet. When we arrived we were greeted by Julie with a plate of warm freshly baked very large chocolate cookies (although she called them biscuits). Probably the best chocolate biscuit/cookie I will ever have. Our room was beautiful and clean and the bed and linens were like sleeping on a cloud. There was a very large deck, pool, hot tub area surrounded by trees that we did not use--only because we didn't have enough time. Julie also has a pet boarding business (horses, dogs and cats). We got to visit all of them after eating a delicious breakfast made by Julie who we discovered is also a fantastic chef. My husband and I both had eggs Benedict--one of many alternatives we had to choose from--and homemade, freshly baked croissants. The location is very close to the Waitomo Caves. This was our first of several B & B's in New Zealand. Redwood Lodge set the bar pretty high, especially on the breakfast part! Thanks Julie.

Rotorua, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here at Redwood Lodge on a personal tour of NZ. We stayed there night before last. Julie, the host, was super. The accommodations were excellent. Nice hot tub outdoors, sauna, entertainment room, pool, great eggs in the morning from her chickens, just an all around nice experience. We would stay there again. They have four units and several nice areas outside to sit and relax. A group of 2,3 or 4 couples would have a very nice time here. Thank you Julie for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All rooms looked very nice. They are all ground floor with outside entrances and connecting to the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Savigny, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

First we thought : what a drive. But then we were very happy to be here because there was everything we needed. There was no need to go out anymore after : they have thought of so may details, that you literally feel at home. Your car is parked in front of the room which can be appreciated if you have some suitcases to carry.
Then there is a fridge filled with soft drinks, wine. So you can help yourself and sit outside on the patio relaxing. Your room has a coffee making facility.
There is sauna with extra shower, jacuzzi, pool : I cannot review these because I did not use them.
You can book dinner or evening antipasti platters.
All this makes it a real homecoming and you can stop thinking and planning.
Julie is a young mother with drive, motivation. She is a good cook and a hard worker.
We really think this young family deserves the greatest success.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have given Redwood Lodge an excellent rating because although I accept it may not meet everybody's expectations of a deluxe B & B, hubby and I found it perfectly met our accommodation needs in Waitomo. I agree with previous reviews that the Lodge is a work in progress but I can also see the potential that Julie and her husband saw when they purchased it. Not to say that it isn't already a lovely place to stay, because it is. Julies care for her guests comfort and her commitment to improving all areas of the B & B can not be faulted. Our room was of good size with a large en suite and looked out on to the front garden with it's beautiful well -shaded lawn area. We could walk straight out of our room onto a beautiful new deck area complete with handcrafted seating and tables ( made by Julie's hubby ). During our stay, we did not have time to use the pool, spa or rec room so I can't comment on those. Julie is a great cook, the breakfast menu highlighting organic locally sourced products. Brekky in the large dining room overlooking the garden, chatting with other guests about our Waitomo adventures is a highlight. Julie's information leaflets she has compiled about places to visit and dine at was very useful. I also like the system of taking soft drink and alcoholic beverages from the communal fridge as you need them and then paying when you leave. Everything we asked for, was provided. Fresh towels to go black water rafting and a clothes rack to dry our wet things after just outside our room. This is a very relaxing place for couples to stay but I can also see potential for catering more for families. It has sort of a farm stay vibe about it, so maybe go with that and build a small cottage in addition to current rooms or add to the lovely little playground they have for their daughter out the front. Maybe even allow patting or feeding of some of the animals. Our room's decor was clean, neutral and modern. I liked the chesterfield style comfy couch along the wall too. Touches like this definitely make a room more inviting. Hubby thought the curtains in our room let in a little too much light but that didn't bother me. The rest of the lodge is decorated with in an eclectic retro style which I find quite appealing. Souvenirs from travels abroad sit along side family heirlooms. The style of the decor throughout the house will become more cohesive I imagine as time and money allow. For me, I like to see the history in a house and feel that it has been lived in so I found it charming. Anyway, the whole place is very functional for Julie and guests as a B & B. I would definitely see this place at the upper end of Waitomo B & B accomodation and I would like to stay there again. If I came back in a year or two, I would expect to see more improvements to the facilities because I can see that Redwood Lodge are aiming to give the best B & B experience ever. Thank you Redwood Lodge for making Waitomo a great place to visit.

Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Redwood Lodge and really enjoyed our time here.
We believe we got great service, a tasty breakfast and luxury facilities at a very reasonable price.
Though some facilities are still to be updated, you would have be a real fuss pot not to see that this country B&B is a work in progress for this family. Julie works really hard to make everyone's stay comfortable.
There is the Pet Lodge next door and we were not disturbed by the animals at all, the only time we even noticed any barking was feeding and walking times. Though we are animal lovers and would rather hear the odd dog barking than horrible traffic noise.
Thank you to Julie and Donovan for being gracious hosts.

Room Tip: Choose the Tui room, it is off the pool and spa.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our room was spacious and very clean and sitting on the adjacent sun deck, in the sunshine, relaxing over a drink made the journey to this rural retreat worthwhile. With a lodge, family, livestock and pets to juggle Julie did remarkably well but some of the extra facilities (eg. hot tub, pool table) could have been better maintained. With its rural location we choose to pre-book our evening meal, which worked really well, as the conversation flowed over dinner with our hostess and other guests, food was fine.

Room Tip: We had the corner room, which was fine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!