“Gave it the benefit of doubt, but was a mistake - Stay at KiwiPacker instead” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Waitomo Caves Hotel

You added Waitomo Caves Hotel to your Saves list
Waitomo Caves Hotel
Lemon Point Road | RD7, Waitomo Caves 9999, New Zealand   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Waitomo Caves
Swanley, United Kingdom
“Gave it the benefit of doubt, but was a mistake - Stay at KiwiPacker instead”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

This hotel has mixed reviews, but we wanted to believe that a standard room at NZD 150 per night, had to be at least OK.

The hotel, as mainly other reviewers have advised, is lovely and has HUGE potential. The downsides are that the property is very tired, the decor looks as if it has not been touched since the building was built and unfortunately the service of the staff was poor.

The bed was comfortable and afforded an OK nights sleep to be fair, but the rooms were awfully hot, with no air conditioning and no way of getting extra air through the bedroom.

This was only ever going to be a stop gap to the glowworm caves, but if I did ever have to stay again, I would try the Abseil Inn or more likely the Kiwi Paker (NZD 75 for a chalet), which did a fantastic pizza and had A1 service.

My concearn is that the throughput and niche market of the local caves means that the owners of this propery will continue to fill the rooms with no need, and subsequently, desire to improve the quality in line with the prices charged.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We asked for a king size bed room and it turns out to be a " 2 joined bed" and it's very uncomfortable where we can feel the hard edge in the center of the bed.
Very awful toilet, with insects crawling all over the bathtub and toilet bowl
VERY HOT during the summer, as there's no air conditional and we don't want to keep the balcony door open as it has a shared balcony with the next room.
Overall awful stay, we woke up tired and unhappy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

My new wife and I visited this hotel as part of our honeymoon trip. We stayed in the turret room. The first thing you notice when heading to the room is how dirty and rundown the hallway is. Eventually, after making our way up a dirty staircase or two, we ended up at the room. The upper part of the windows were decorated with spiderwebs and flies and wasps trapped within. The shower was oddly positioned and dirty. The room was hot, with no air conditioning. Of course, I opened windows to cool it off, but they have no screens on the windows, so bugs just fly in at will. The mini fridge in the room is loud and close enough to the bed to affect one's ability to sleep. Avoid this place if possible. There must be some better place to stay in the town.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

This was a last minute decision for us and I would like to say that I am a big luxury gal so this hotel would not have been a first choice for me. I was willing to suck it up for a night and stay here since it was so close to the caves. I have to say I actually had a nice time. If you are looking for luxury it is not quite there yet. Although the manager Anna was wonderful and had just come on to renovate the hotel and restore it to its former glory. I hope that happens because it could be an amazing experience. It has good “bones” and is a beautiful historic structure. But when we stayed it was a bit old and in need of some repair. I hate to even say anything bad about it but I know that when I plan my trips I rely heavily on tripadvisor so I want to be honest so no one is surprised. The bathroom was in need of renovation and the shower was not a great experience. I would also love to see better towels. It is very basic accommodations. This whole hotel is very OLD and with that comes the decay of time. But you need to look at this hotel for its pluses and if you can overlook the “dated” status and appreciate the “charming” qualities you might enjoy yourself. The staff was all very kind especially Anna the manager. Very helpful and kind and she really made the stay sweet. Everyone in that area was very friendly. In fact it was my birthday and my husband mentioned it to some folks that were hanging out downstairs and they came up and sang happy birthday to me outside my door! We even got invited to a Maori blessing ceremony at sunrise at the caves!! The cool part of the hotel for me was that it is said to be haunted. I am a huge fan of the ghosts and so my husband and I spent a good part of the evening exploring the hotel…both inside and out....even the basement!! Anna let us roam freely through the corridors and we even saw another couple out late doing the same thing…hoping to catch a ghost! We were able to even go into areas not being used currently so that was pretty spooky. The hotel is atop the caves on a hill and so it’s very convenient and there aren’t many other options for lodging. I say if you are up for an adventure give the Waitomo Caves Hotel a try! Oh and no I didn’t see any ghosts but it was sure fun looking!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

What a grand building looking over the Waitomo village, It feels great to drive up to.
The building itself could do with a revamp but the location is great.
We stayed in the art deco wing. I was really looking forward to this as I own an art deco home and love all the detail these places have. Sadly there was not a great deal of it in the rooms but the hall way had nice detail and you do feel like you have stepped back in time.
The rooms were clean and had a small fridge, tea and coffee facilities. Our group stayed in rooms 14, 16 which had an adjoining balcony, and also room 20. all our rooms had a lovely rual view. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
We didn't eat at the resturant, opting for pizza down the road as we were traveling with small children, but the smell from there was very tempting.
Breakfast was the normal cereal and toast and the coffee was actually quite good.
Our rooms were $140 NZD per night

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I must say, this hotel has a bit of a creepy aura about it - reminded my husband of the hotel in the movie, "The Shining". Overall though, our stay was pleasant enough. The location is great, within walking distance to the visitors centre, a few restaurants/cafes and the glowworm caves. The staff was also very friendly and the continental breakfast was just fine. Our room was spacious with a king bed and a twin bed, but unfortunately the bathroom left something to be desired. It was very, very small and was the only hotel we stayed at during our 3.5 week honeymoon that didn't provide any shampoo, conditioner, or soap. Luckily we had our own. There was another hotel that was close by which I think might have offered a more comfortable stay but it also lacked the historical nature that this particular place had to offer. With some upgrades, I think this hotel has the potential to be top notch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I could write a 1000 word review detailing the awfulness of this place, or just tell you plainly, do not stay here. Ever. Even if it's 3 in the morning, you're tired, desperate, cold, and hungry. Keep driving - it's worth the risk.
To get an idea, check out the reviews of their partner hotel in Rotorua, the Four Canoes Hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Waitomo Caves Hotel? Share your experiences!