“A must do!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waitomo Adventures - Lost World 4 Hr Option

Waitomo Adventures - Lost World 4 Hr Option
Waitomo Adventure Centre | 654 Waitomo Caves Road, Waitomo Caves 3943, New Zealand
+64 7-878 7788
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Abseil/Rappel 100m followed by a dry caving adventure as you explore this magnificent cave system. Surprisingly gentle - freehanging in a massive void... Bouncing a bit because of the sheer length of the rope. The roar of the Mangapu river echoes up from caverns far below. Beams of light seek to penetrate the eerie mists. Weird plants cling desperately to the sheer rock walls. It's like being lowered into the bowels of some prehistoric animal. Climb back over slabs of rock and ladders. Excellent glowworms. Min age 10 yrs. No experience required. Operator is Local Family and has over 27 years of safe operation. Operations is Qualmark and Outdoorsmark Endorsed. FREE PHOTOS OF YOUR TRIP SENT BY INTERNET
3 attraction reviews
“A must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was in New Zealand and did this tour with Iain and Ryan on December 30, 2013. The ages of people in our group was 14-62.

It was the most amazing experience. Iain and Ryan make you feel very comfortable by double checking absolutely everything!

The 100m descent is beyond words. It's an awe inspiring view as you lower yourself into the canyon. At the bottom you can still enjoy this view for a little while before heading into the caves.

The caves are great to climb into and if you're claustrophobic, you don't need to worry about any small spaces in this cave. You can climb through a tight space when going to see the glow worms but you can also go around and still get to see the glow worms.

Iain and Ryan were fun and information with of course taking safety as the most important priority! They also take great pictures so I'd advise buying the USB after!

Just a tidbit of advice, when I do this trip again (and someday I will!), I'd bring a pair of biking gloves. There is a climb on a ladder (though safe because you're properly hooked up), gets a bit slippery and it would be an easier climb with gloves (it gets slippery).

You can't go to New Zealand without doing this tour! It was the highlight of the trip for all 7 in our group!

Visited December 2013

Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
11 attraction reviews
“One of the Best Trips in New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had a great time on the lost world tour. The company is very well organized and had already checked us in and charged us when we got there. Our tour guide scott was great and made us feel at ease. I was pretty scared getting setup with all the gear but they have a lot of safety in place. We had a total of 8 on our tour and 2 tour guides. 4 people went down at a time with a guide. The view is amazing going down and climbing in the cave. I will say the long climb out on the ladder was pretty rough even for people that are in shape.

Visited November 2013
Hannover, Germany
“Again please!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've been to the Lost World this week and after my 7 weeks of NZ travels I can definitely say that this was the most impressive experience and adventure for me. The cave scenery is breathtaking and so is the 100m abseiling. A big thank you to the two guides Ryan and Allan who were real experts and explained and showed many underground details to the group. I felt safe the whole time and would like to repeat the tour immediately... :)

Visited January 2014
“EPIC!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

A must see if you visit the north island. Would easily do this yearly if I lived in Auckland. Experience of a lifetime.

Visited December 2013
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This one of the few adventures that you will remember for the rest of your life. The guides Iain and Ryan were very knowledgeable and patient.
Words and pictures can never illustrate or describe the thrill enough. It is truely the LOST WORD.