“The best family outing EVER!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waitomo Adventures - Lost World 4 Hr Option

Waitomo Adventures - Lost World 4 Hr Option
Waitomo Adventure Centre | 654 Waitomo Caves Road, Waitomo Caves 3943, New Zealand
+64 7-878 7788
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Abseil/Rappel 100m followed by a dry caving adventure as you explore this magnificent cave system. Surprisingly gentle - freehanging in a massive void... Bouncing a bit because of the sheer length of the rope. The roar of the Mangapu river echoes up from caverns far below. Beams of light seek to penetrate the eerie mists. Weird plants cling desperately to the sheer rock walls. It's like being lowered into the bowels of some prehistoric animal. Climb back over slabs of rock and ladders. Excellent glowworms. Min age 10 yrs. No experience required. Operator is Local Family and has over 27 years of safe operation. Operations is Qualmark and Outdoorsmark Endorsed. FREE PHOTOS OF YOUR TRIP SENT BY INTERNET
Melbourne, Australia
“The best family outing EVER!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having a family holiday with teenage kids (13 and 15yrs), can be challenging to find activities that engage everyone equally. This trip certaily met the criteria, adventure, adrenalin, education and most importantly of all, heaps of fun! From the moment we met our awsome guides Flyn and Brad and our two other adventurers who were joining us on our trip, we knew that a memorable day was in store.

During the drive through the sheep paddocks to get to the start of our journey we were all able to get to know eachother a little, have a laugh, and also learn some things about the caves before we even began.

Arrivied at the hut to get fitted out with overalls, harnesses and gumboots, which I must mention were the comfiest footwear out! When I saw pics of people wearing gumboots in the brochure I was admittedly somewhat dubious about how my feet would fair after 4hrs of climbing about in them, but I must say, they were so flexible and gripped really well when you needed them too. Just make sure you wear thick comfy socks.

Safety instructions before we began were clear and easy to understand, and the double checking of all our gear was very reassuring before we made our amazing rappel down to the cavern floor. The nerves were quickly overtaken by awe of the beauty of the place and we enjoyed the time it took to decend so you could really take it all in. It was truely a spectacular and magical experience that will never be forgotten.
The rest of the trip was also challenging and also very interesting learning about the cave formations and its inhabitants. The 30 metre ladder climb certainly got the heart pumping but was a rewarding feeling when you got to the top.

We now have some amazing family photos (taken by our multiskilled guides) to remember our adventure and are a little out of the ordinary from your usual family snaps. The looks on all our faces certaily tell of the exhillaration and fun we all shared together.

We'll be back for the 7hr Epic wet version of this trip when our youngest turns 15 and is old enough to do it. Thanks guys for an amazing experience!

Visited October 2012

whangarei nz
9 attraction reviews
“really loved it - great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

REALLY LOVED THIS and im a kiwi! .... if you love nz nature it is beautiful! its about taking the time to take it all in.... we were lucky we got a good deal half price through a dive mag. so we were happy with price. disappointed not able to take camera - BUT very understandible when you think about others who would drop theirs and blame company or just be a total pain to others in the group, SO still HAPPY to get some photos at the end from our tour guide. we were really lucky there was only us (obviously winter less people in groups), so we had all of the tour guides attention! our tour guide "chris" was really fantasic knew his job well. (thanks chris really enjoyed our time with you!).
i think i would love the 7hr tour with a bit more rough and tumble (WILL be back for this on my own lol) - but my partner is scared of heights and managed this really well. i didnt find it hard but my partner found it reasonably hard - but both really enjoyed it. i would 100% recomend this company - and recommend this tour if you love nature - it really is spectacular to abseil this. really great they have lockers at venue to lock your valuables in to! very professional and safe.

Visited August 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
8 attraction reviews
“Challenging yet Fun!! Great Guides!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I found out about this by the DK book on NZ. Then I researched it on the Internet and decided I HAD to do this during our long awaited trip to NZ. The down side was that I did not fully explain to my wife the challenges involved prior to booking it. She is a real trooper and gave it her best shot but it was more than she was prepared for. We made it out (late) but thankfully had a really, really, super, great, helpful guide by the name of Allan who stayed with my wife the whole time being part time hand rail and part time pack mule to help her out. The abseil down was awesome (try not to take too long or your legs may fall asleep making it hard to walk for a few minutes once you are down) and the hike out is neat. Be warned though - climbing up 30 m on a ladder is a long distance when the rungs are small round steel dowel rods (not like an extension ladder with wide/flat rungs). DO NOT miss this trip but DO be prepared and know what is involved!

Visited March 2012
Greenfield, Indiana
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This trip was the perfect choice for my wife and I. The abseil down into the cave was amazing, and the rest of the cave tour was all we expected. Dean and Adam, our guides were great. I hadn't told my wife about the ladder climb out (good thing!), but she made it with no problem. Thanks for a great time.

Visited June 2012
Toronto, Canada
23 attraction reviews
“Incredibly Amazing Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was one of the coolest/neatest/scariest/most rewarding things I've ever done in my life! Before this, I wasn't really into hiking, mountain/rock climbing, abseiling, etc. but this experience changed my mind!

I'm not usually one to be afraid of heights, but this definitely made me uncomfortable, which was good - got the adrenalin running. You're hooked up to the cables for all the dangerous parts, but there are some sections where you change over from one cable to another. This happened at the top platform when you get hooked onto the downwards cable, preparing to abseil down the 100m. That was unnerving, let me tell you! I was just sitting on this big metal bar during the transfer, and you're really in good hands, but I couldn't help but think what if...lol

The abseil was the most fun and dramatic part of the whole thing. It's so high up, I just tried to take as much as I could in so I'd remember it! I do remember getting sore and pins/needles in some parts of my body on the way down, but nothing too crazy.

The hike through the cave was nice. It's a really neat atmosphere being down there - really hard to describe though. It's kind of eerie but beautiful at the same time.

The glowworms were neat, but honestly they don't stand out that much - they're not what I remember.

The climb up the ladder at the end was the hardest part physically. It's really tall and obviously straight up. The rungs are metal and cold and were often wet and a little slippery from the water/mud of the person's boots above you. There's no rush though, and it's easily done by taking your time and knowing the fact that you have to get up and out of the cave somehow!

Our guide was Gavin and he was just great - very kind and personable. We wanted to see sheep on the road and he actually spooked a couple to make them run across - all in good fun! He took great pictures of us and apparently took more than usual at no extra charge. It was really nice chatting with him throughout the tour. We were also the only ones on our tour, so that was a bonus!!

All-in-all, a great experience!! I had a hard time deciding between this tour and the longer one, but decided against the longer one because of going in the water and getting wet, and I think the possibility of snakes or something creepy in the water lol. This tour was perfect for us and we loved every minute of it :)

Visited May 2012