“in need of repair” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley

You added Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley to your Saves list
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vintage Drive | Hunter Valley, Rothbury, Cessnock, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rothbury
Newcastle, Australia
“in need of repair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Ive stayed at this place 3 times now and all were perfect except for this last one. The bed was that soft you sunk in it , the bathroom had blood splatters in bathroom on door frame leading into toilet , amenities were not accessible nearby because of a conference staying, barbeques were removed because of ohand s so we had to use a communal area instead of our room area. From previous stays we new we had tennis court facilitates and barbeques on verandas so we prepared for this but none were available. very disappointing that the changes made to this accommodation were not passed onto future and past guests staying.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ian M, General Manager at Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Ms Waters,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the trouble with your recent stay at the Grand Mercure The Vintage. We have a very high standard here at the Grand Mercure that you have experienced in the past and I am sorry to hear that in this instance this has not been met.

Understandably, I am very concerned of your experience and please rest assured that this instance has not fallen on deaf ears. Upon hearing of your trouble with the bed, I have since ordered a replacement which should be here within the week. If I had been made aware of this during your stay then of course we could have replaced your mattress or offered a room move at least.

As for the cleanliness of the room, I have had the Housekeeping Manager address this matter personally and she assures me that it is certainly not blood and more like nail polish. I certainly understand that this does not change the impression you first had, but I hope that it can help to alleviate any health concerns you may have had.

Please understand that as the BBQ's were removed from the rooms 12 months ago, it would be nearly impossible for us to contact every guest who has stayed with us in the past to inform them of this fact. The communal BBQ Area that has been installed though is a suitable substitute for these though which many of our guests enjoy making use of.

I thank you for your understanding in this matter and I look forward to welcoming you and your guests back to the Grand Mercure The Vintage soon.

Kind regards,

Ian Muller
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Lovely one bedroom apartment design and great location in the Hunter Valley, but a bit on the pricey side. The quality of the apartment and fittings was generally high with fully equipped kitchen, lock-up garage and ducted A/C. But there were a few niggles: the bed was advertised as a king bed but was two singles joined together and not comfortable; several items were in need of repair; the supplied instant coffee (not great).

Avoca Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Ive always tried a lot of different accomodation options when we stay in the Hunter and seem to stay in a different place every time, however the last 3 visits we have returned here....and I think Ive finally settled down! If you get a good deal on the room the value is excellent particularly if you are two couples or a family requiring a two-room option. Having 2 bathrooms (including two bathtubs) is also a great advantage as everyone seems to spread out and has their own space and privacy within the villa. The full kitchen, full laundry features are always appreciated if not always put to use! The heated pool in Winter means that those that will swim any weather (the kids) can sill have a quick jump in - looking forward to returning in Summer where I might be brave enough to join them. Some might prefer the real thing but I also love their gas fireplace. I love that you flick a switch and its instantly on and as I get a bit of asthma, there is no wood smoke to bother me, so the fireplaces are a plus with us as well. The parking is great, individual lockable garages are a real bonus, espec as working in a hotel myself I have seen how often the mass 'secured' car parks often are robbed. So all in all another pleasant stay albeit only one night but enough to think my days of sleeping around the Hunter are over (:

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Really good accommodation in the Hunter Valley. Lady in reception not very welcoming on arrival, in fact not interested at all. Everything else about the place could not be faulted.

Room Tip: All rooms/ units identical. If possible get upstairs apartment, I would imagine quite dark downstair...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at the newly built Chateau Elan at The Vintage Hunter Valley. The rooms were very comfortable with a king bed, spa, indoor and outdoor dining area and kitchen, laundry and fireplace. There was a problem with the electricity spontaneously turning off which we reported, but wasn't a huge issue. I suggest if you wish to use the day spa, that you book prior to arrival as this books out quickly. The food at the restaurant is fantastic.The staff at the vintage, particularly the bar and restaurant concierge (fantastic guys) provided the best service I had ever experienced. They couldn't do enough to please and made our stay one of the most memorable and relaxed that I have experienced (and I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star resorts in the world). They were personally attentive to both my husband and I and made sure that we were very comfortable going beyond the call of duty.
I have stayed in the Grand Mercure apartments and now this stay, the Chateau Elan at the Vintage Resort, but think that the apartments are larger, better appointed and make for a more pleasant stay. Both are good though but I will stay at the apartments next time. No hesitation in recommending this resort. thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

As Memebrs of the Accor Vacation Club we booked 2 nights and wished we'd booked an extra night. There was so much to do and see around the beautiful Hunter Valley, both for the adults and the children. We traveled with my parents as a 'catch up' due to living in different states, and was the perfect little break for them with us and the grandkids. The room set up was ideal, with total privacy for both couples with their own bedroom and ensuite each.
The children slept on a sofa bed, which for their age was okay.
The kitchen allowed for self catering, so we cooked awesome breakfasts each morning.
Grounds well maintained, apartment clean. If you bring your own food perhaps make sure you bring it in Tupperware as there was an ant problem in our kitchen.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear JP3775,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at the Grand Mercure The Vintage.

We work very hard to keep up the great expectations our guests have and to deserve the reputation we have earned. Comments like yours go a long way to confirm that our efforts are appreciated and are acheiving the desired result.

Thank as well for your comment regarding ants in your apartment. We have only very recently treated the property again for ants, but with the weather we have had recently it is an unfortunate reality of a rural property that these pests exist. I'm sure with your next visit you will find the problem taken care of.

Again, I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and on behalf of the whole team here we look forward to welcoming you and your guests back to The Vintage soon.

Kind Regards,

Ian Muller
Hotel Manager
Grand Mercure The Vintage
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is our 3 rd visit here and we enjoyed our stay. As a member of Accor Vacation Club & having stayed at other clubs around Australia, this is definitely one of the better one. Quite luxuriously appointed, the finishing and accessories supplied are good. The bed is however way too soft and we developed a backache after severl nights. Perhaps time for managment to think about putting in new mattreses.The kitchen is well stocked with pots, pans, crockery & cutlery. Enough to rustle up a decent meal. The swimming pool is nice and the layout of the entire complex is well done. Each unit used to have individual gas BBQ units but this has since been removed.

Located within a golf club and nice upmarket villas, the surrounding areas are nice and very pleasant for walks. Overall, an excellent base to explore the Hunter Valley and the wineries.

Room Tip: Stock up groceries and foodstuff at the Smelly Cheese Shop, located 10 min drive away at Tempus Two...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!