“Huge church” 3 of 5 stars

Sydney, Australia
42 attraction reviews
“Huge church”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a huge church on very large grounds, built as usual on the base of a previous Mayan pyramid. Famous as the base of the cruel Fray de Landa who persecuted the mayans and burnt their statues and books, then realised his error and tried to write what he remembered.

Visited November 2012

Tucson AZ
15 attraction reviews
“Impressive, but don't expect the sound and light show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My family enjoyed the town and the convent, which is at its center. However, this should be considered a minor attraction, not a major one. There is a lot of history here if you take the time to look it up before you get here (we couldn't find much access to historical information in English or guides, etc). We were subject to bad information when it came to the Izamal light show. My guidebook as well as websites such as Yucatan Today, Wikitravel and Tripadvisor hyped the sound and light show. We showed up at night and were told to wait at the gate. After some time, we pressed for more information and we eventually learned they no longer do the show. If only we had known, we could have better allocated our time. In fact, I probably wouldn't have stayed the night if I didn't' have an activity planned.

Visited October 2012
Boulder, Colorado
25 attraction reviews
“It is one of the few things to see.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We didn't have a guide but it was interesting to wander around and see everything. Of note is that a pyramid was found under the convent but can't be excavated without destroying the convent. The convent's builders destroyed part of the pyramid to build the convent and used stones from the pyramid for the walls of the convent. Not sure if that is progress or not.

Most of the buildings in the center of town are painted egg yolk yellow and that's something different to see. Not much else except for some shops around the town square. The Mayan ruins in the city are very small and not in great shape.

If you don't think Izamal is going to be fantastic, you'll probably enjoy your visit. We had had it built up by some people who used to live there and expected too much.

Visited August 2012
Merida, Mexico
5 attraction reviews
“A lot of information”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Our guide was great. He explained in broken English all of the displays and parts of the Convent. (Tip of $100 pesos appreciated.)

Visited May 2012
lazio
13 attraction reviews
“Enchanting yellow city in the Yucatan: Izamal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

One-day trip from Merida, leaving early in the morning from Merida and arrived there in less than an hour. Instead of going during the weekend I decided to go on monday, which was a good idea since I could enjoy a peaceful day with very few tourists around. From Merida you can take a minivan service "collectivos" which is quite convenient, on the side of the Mercado Lucas de Galvez. As soon as I arrived at Izamal I was amazed at the view of the characteristic yellow and white painted buildings and its impressive Franciscan convent. Outside the main entrance of the convent you'll find the statue of Pope John Paul which visited Izamal in 1993. If you want you can have a horse carriage short tour of the small city. Personally, I decided to walk around. I reached the ruins, an ancient un-restored pyramid and on the way back to the convent I found a very good restaurant, “Kinich el sabor de Izamal”. It’s worth trying! I enjoyed the view of the garden and atmosphere of the restaurant. Before going back to Merida I just had a short visit at the “Centro Cultural and Artesinal” and bought good artisanal crafts and very nice souvenirs.

Visited July 2011