We enjoyed our stay at Los Machpeches. We had fresh towels every day. It was clean. It has a beautiful courtyard and is close to an inviting beach.
But this is Mexico, so set your expectations right:
- we stayed in the Dolphin, which is a screened in palapa. It keeps most of the bugs out, but not all of them. This is Mexico, so remember that and go with the unique experience.
- the pathways are all sand, which feels great on bare feet. But you will track sand into your palapa (which they dutifully clean out each day), and maybe into bed if you're not careful.
- the ceiling fan works well, but you will still get hot in bed. Like I said, it's Mexico, and you'll appreciate your A/C back at home more.
- Los Mapeches is towards the end of town. For me, this was a bonus because it was quiet and is not a long walk to the town square.
I would go back again and have only fond memories from Holbox and Los Mapeches.
Now some Holbox Travel Tips:
1) If you rent a car, use Cancun Rental Car. They were cheap, efficient, and rates include full coverage.
2) parking in Chiquila can be had for about $4 per day,, if you pay in pesos. It seemed sketchy at first, but our car was safe when we returned and parking is right by the ferry dock.
3) There are two ferries: 9 Hermanos and Holbox Express. We took the Express - it was a bit faster, and their boats looked like they were better maintained. 9 Hermanos has more departure times though.
4) We went to Holbox to swim with the whale sharks. We walked right down the pier (on the North Beach) the night before and struck a deal of 900 pesos each. It included the whale shark swimming, a side snorkeling trip and on-the-boat-made ceviche. It was an amazing experience, but lasted 8 hours and we should have brought good hats. And don't forget your Spanish either.
5) The best dinner, by far, in town can be had at The Grasshopper (El Chapulim). It was delicious and reasonable.
6) The best cappuccino on the island can be found at Cafecito, 3-4 blocks from Los Mapeches. If you don't go there, be prepared for Nescafe at many places.
7) Rent a bike and ride the North beach all the way east - you will find beautiful and empty beaches, and can see the nesting pelicans.
8) there is an ATM in a smoothie shop directly behind the north beach wharf. This is the only one I saw.
Please let me know if this review was helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Zomay is a small and peacefull resort of 6 wooden bungalows and 3 apartments on the seashore in the wonderful Island of Holbox, decorated in a Caribean style, in the middle of our beautiful and big tropical garden, you will find privacy and personal attention are what make this place unique: you can relax watching the wildlife from your hammock, grill the fish you have just caught, or walk barefoot on white sands.a place to feel safe from the noise and the rush of a big city. Here, you can finally leave the hurry and anguish behind and rediscover that old-fashioned rhythm of life long forgotten, in the summer you can meet the amazing and beautiful whale shark and spend what will be the vacation of a lifetime. More than 40 km of virgin beaches, clean air, abundant wildlife, Holbox is still one of the few places left where life continues at a slow pace with no worries. Our beach is equipped with lounge chairs and hammocks that our customers can enjoy and each bungalow at this hotel features kitchenette facilities and safe box. Exclusive guest services: Free WiFi at the main lobbyFree Kayaks and bicycles for rent to our guestsTours and transfer services from Cancún or MéridaWe can rent our place for weddings or any other special events ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, HotelsClick and Despegar.com so you can book your Zomay Hotel Holbox reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Los Mapaches
- Los Mapaches Hotel