“Great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Holbox Island
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

You get more of what you pay in comparison of a hotel in Tulum, of course that the sea in Tulum has beautiful color blue. It is close to the small downtown. Very friendly people and service. The food is not great but you know what you can get for that price. We had a great time at Mawimbi

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We recently stayed at Mawimbi on Holbox and the hospitality and our stay far exceeded our expectations. Onni is a wealth of knowledge and every staff member is extraordinarily helpful and friendly, relaxed and accommodating. The food is prepared fresh and very well, every meal was delicious. It's clean and very well designed. They are respectful of their environs, which is of great importance to us. The beach swings are a wonderful way to relax. After walking the entire beach and evaluating each resort, I would choose Mawimbi again, it has the best location to town, best beach and location to the pier, with magical sunsets from the property.

Room Tip: the tortuga room has a huge wonderful balcony that we enjoyed at sunrise and sunset...
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

What a precious hotel with a great location, friendly staff, delicious food, extremely clean facilities and more...

Prior to our stay Jeevyl and Claudia were very attentive with our reservations and questions we had regarding our stay, tour activities, transportation arrangements etc... Once we arrived their attentiveness remained the same helping us with restaurant suggestions, hand line fishing trips, etc... We were also impressed by Ornella suggestions on the best use of our money and time for the different activities we were researching.

We stayed in one of the Oceanfront rooms on the bottom floor and highly recommend it. Though we had people next door, above us and the restaurant right out our room we never had an issue with noise. The room was clean and spacious enough for two people and they provide you shampoo, conditioner and even a hair dryer. The AC in the room was wonderful and refreshing when returning to your room after a day out. Each day the room was stock with fresh bottles of water, the bar also provided water upon request. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The food at the restaurant is delicious and the presentation is done well. The blended drinks were always tasty and made mostly from fresh fruit. The beer was also nice and cold. I personally fell in love with the Chelado's! Nice and refreshing without all of the sweetness. Try one...

The grounds are kept well and most likely the cleanest on Holbox island. The staff really works hard to ensure your stay is clean and comfortable all day long and it shows. It was obvious that this behavior is being driven down from the owners who take pride in what they offer their guests.

We arranged transportation through Mawimbi and they didn't miss a beat. Once we arrived in Cancun and walked out of the airport there was a gentleman holding a sign with our name. The 2 hr drive doesn't seem long as there is plenty to see on the way. We arrived at the Ferry and made our way to Holbox where again we were met and taken to the Hotel. On the return to Cancun we encountered the same experience. What a nice refreshing way to start/end your vacation virtually stress free.

The Whale Shark Tour is a lifetime experience. We actually booked 2 trips just to ensure we actually saw whale sharks during our stay. However during our first trip out there were so many of them we didn't need to return for the second trip. Plus us canceling opened up a reservation for others that had to be bumped due to bad weather the previous 2 days.

We also went hand line fishing with one of the local fisherman and his son, what an awesome experience. We caught alot of fish in just a short 3 hours. We brought back a large Sea Trout where the Chef cook us some filets and made us Ceviche with the remaining fish. Both were excellent.

The Hotel itself is in the best location on Holbox and in a relatively quiet location compared to others. Since there are only 10 rooms this allows for the Staff to get to know everyone on a somewhat personal basis (calling us by our name within the first day).

All in all we had a really great time. This was our first trip to Mexico and the staff at Mawimbi has set our expectations high for returning. If we make it back, we will stay here again hopefully as a family vacation with our adult children.

Room Tip: Go for the Oceanfront. It's in a quiet location with direct access to the beach and bar.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a great hotel. The best beach. Breakfast is yummy and the staff is great. We happen to be dog lovers so we took a bag of Pup-Peroni (after we received permission from our host) and now have 4 new furry friends. We loved Holbox. We used Cancun Transfers (ask for Leo) for the trip from the airport to the ferry approx 2 hours (licorice at the ferry was a big hit with the boys on the dock "helping us" with our luggage). Short golf card ride and you'll be at your hotel. The downtown is a little rustic...we are used to staying on Isla Mujeres and I'm guessing Holbox is what Isla Mujeres was about 20 years ago but after the first night it was great. The food on the island was wonderful. Fresh pasta, sushi...great Mexican and seafood. We will definately go back and stay at Hotel Mawimbi. If you are looking for a place to unwind and love the beach. Book this island and hotel. By far the best hotel...there are some that are more "Americanized" but this was the best place for relaxation and besides you can visit the other hotel for happy hour if you need to feel like and American.

Room Tip: Only a couple of the rooms are actually ocean front but all the rooms were very nice. They all had...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for 8 days and were NOT disappointed! The set-up and planning of this little hotel is top notch.The owner and staff-5 star!! Loved hanging out and relaxing.The rooms were lovely and unquie.The grounds were so well kept.From booking to leaving we were cared for in so many details.If you are needing a week of r and r here is the place for you.We also booked our whale shark tour with Mawambi and WOW! When they say fastest boat on the island- they mean it,other boats left before us yet we caught up and passed them like they were standing still.The 2 guides were excellent.I was very motion sick,but they made sure I was not missing any of the whale shark or manta ray action.I would not book any other tour as we had the best boat and guides.thank you to all,our special trip with our grandson will hold dear to our hearts because of all their added attention and care.Hats off all around to this hotel!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mawimbi for 10 days. It was a fantastic experience. We paid for Holbox Transfers and they were great. Picked us up holding a name sign at the airport, made the 2 hour drive (complete with a pit stop for food, and another for viewing some huge, sacred trees in a village) They got us on the ferry and met us on the other end with the golf cart to escort us to Mawimbi.
The owners of Mawimbi, Ornella and Carmelo and their entire staff, were a pleasure to deal with and be around. So helpful and kind, they were always ready with information and/or clear instructions on Holbox and where to go, what to do.
The hotel itself is only 10 rooms, with 2 of those having self contained kitchenettes. We had the pleasure of having the smaller bungalow and it was perfect for 2 people. It contained everything we needed to have a fantastic holiday. At first, the proximity to the office was a little off putting, although I had done my research and knew this going in. As it turned out, the only thing about this was that it was super handy to walk over and break down money or get information. The AC was top notch mini split and kept our room an ice box, which was so refreshing to walk into after time spent outside. The bathroom was far from spacious, but certainly adequate for our needs. The bed was comfortable and made up everyday. The attention to detail in the room, from the use of all the lovely seashells to the beautiful tree trunk table was amazing. The love that went into the craftsmanship of the building is evident. There was a very large bottle of water with a pump provided that lasted us right to the end. It was very handy. As for noise, it simply wasn't an issue. You feel very secluded, and far way from everything. when in reality, it's just a few minutes walk to town. We heard golf carts going by on the road often, but it wasn't an issue. It's just golf carts, and not all the time. We did have the AC going at all times, so you can't hear much anyway.
The property itself was kept immaculate by staff. The sand was raked daily, an ongoing job throughout the day. You needn't wear any foot wear from the time you arrive until the time you leave, if you prefer! The outdoor, palapa covered restaurant/bar is so sweet and inviting. Again, the tables are mostly made with polished tree trunks and some of the chairs are made out of polished smaller logs. It literally oozes charm and is a great place to sit and watch the ocean and the people going by. The food is fantastic. Seriously, we didn't have a bad meal there. It's all fresh and delicious, and yes, as with most places on the Island, it takes a little while. Fortunately, the rushing in our lives stops the moment we get off the ferry, and we take the time to enjoy every moment. The drinks (especially the delicious frozen mango daq) are whipped up and taste wonderful, using only fresh, real fruit. The beer is icy cold as well. The owner's have several small dogs that def have the run of the place and provide entertainment and also for those of us that leave our pets behind when we vacation, those much needed pats and licks that we miss so much! They will sit and stare at you while you eat, which makes me feel right at home! Ornella obviously loves and cares for these dogs very much and it's evident in their behaviour. I liked having them around very much.
At night the resort is a gem. It has the softest glow coming from beautiful seashell lights on pathways, steps, buildings...so beautiful and quaint all at once. When the sun comes down, the mossies come out. A good dose of Deet everywhere on your body protects you for the most part. We each got a few bites anyway (maybe 15+) , but nothing serious. I would not go out unprotected, however! It's pretty much the same here at home so we are used to the little buggers.
The beach out front of the property is the best on the Island, hands down. We walked the entire beach several times and can honestly tell you it is lovely. Beautiful sand and a wonderful beach water entry. The water is amazing. It is clear and a beautiful shade of sparkling, marine green. Really very nice, and different then the blue that I have often seen during past trips to the RM.
Mawimbi also boasts the very nicest, most comfortable beach chairs on the beach (that we could see) with both doubles and singles, and of course, the lovely swinging beach beds. I have also never seen before the available tables that were at several chairs which were made from tree trunks, or others that were very low, just the perfect height to reach from your beach chair. We really liked that we could set our drinks/sunscreens/bags down on tables, instead of in the sand. Nice touch, well done! There are lots of birds like pelicans and others to watch and enjoy and the water was like bathwater. So warm and inviting, not like freezing your butt off here at home!
The hotel is a simple 3 minute walk down the beach to the main pier or to Holbox proper. The town itself is fun and safe and an eating experience not to be missed, but that's for another review...The local guys in the hammocks down the beach (Hamaca Tours) were fantastic to deal with and we went fishing several times with them and then they cooked up the catch...and could they cook! They also made a killer ceviche'. We caught baby barracuda, baby tuna (?) and lots of sea trout.
We of course, did the whale shark tour tour with Mawimbi and it was evident after seeing twin 300hp outboards on the boat we made the right choice. That little boat should be more appropriately named (after the words of the great John Candy) "Suck My Wake" because that's exactly what everybody else not on our boat had to do! We blew by a whole bunch of boats, both coming and going and I was happy it took us 1.5 hours to get to the whale sharks instead of the awful 3-4 hours some other people told us about. It's certainly worth a few extra bucks to leave and get back that much faster. Our guide was great. He made it a point to take each one of us and guide us out to the best viewing. Wetsuits or life jackets are available. My husband had his GoPro on and got some amazing videos. There were also multiple manta rays which were as thrilling as the whale sharks. Both were everywhere and close enough to touch, although you are not to touch them) I get sea sick and made sure to take my Dramamine. I was fine the entire trip out (and it was rough, believe me) but the second he shut the boat off I was very sick. 4 out of 7 guests were seasick and on every boat there seemed to be someone hanging off it being sick. So that sucked. But you just gotta go in the water anyway since you are there for that, right?. I was also sick in the water but it wasn't so bad underneath the waves. After about an hour or so everyone had been in 2-3 times and the guide passed out bag lunches (2 ham and cheese sandwiches, an apple and a bag of chips) I simply could not have even imagined eating at that point. I was so happy to be out of there and as soon as we started moving I started to feel better again. By the time we crossed back into the Gulf and they stopped to snorkel a reef, I was well enough that I was starving and ate my entire lunch. It was the worst few hours of my life and the best 15 minutes all the same time! It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. You couldn't pay me to get back on that boat. My husband, who did not get sick (of course, right?) would go again in a heartbeat. The whole trip probably took 6 hours tops from pier to pier.
So all in all, Mawimbi was everything and more than we had hoped. I wouldn't consider staying elsewhere. There is no pool, which we would not have used anyway.
I know I'm going to get yelled at here, but there was no tv, which we would have used. THERE, I SAID IT! Again, we knew this going in and it wasn't a deal breaker obviously, but contrary to popular belief, the world does not stop just because we are on vacation and I would have liked to watch the news and sports updates in bed at night. So I read instead, and that was fine. Just sayin'...and there WAS internet available in the restaurant/bar area so you could lug an ipad or phone there and catch up. It's just not quite so convenient as in your room. I get it though...retreat from the World sort of thing.
I would stay here a million times over. Thank you, Mawimbi, for a wonderful, relaxing vacation and memories to last a lifetime. We will see you again, down the road.

Room Tip: loved our little bungalow, but would try the beach front next time. They looked really nice and spac...
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Holbox is a paradise, streets are of sand, cars are golf carts, at the nightbyou can see the sky full of stars. We stayed 3 nights at Mawimbi and it was a great experience:

Rooms: have air conditioned, are spacious and bathrooms ok with shampoo and soap everyday.

Staff: are very friendly and helpful, they recommend you activities to do at the island and places to eat (you should try lobster pizza at downtown).

Location: the hotel has a perfect location, 5 minutes walk to downtown and port. We went to see the whale shark (an amazing experience, you should do so) and the port was soooo close, while other visitors needed transportation by car to their hotels after the excursion, we easily came back walking.

Food: delicious, breakfast is included (fruit, bread, juice) if you want something else you can ask from the menu, prices are fair. Meal, specially fish is soooo fresh and no expensive!

Facilities: there were hammocks for every one stayed at the hotel, free wifi at the restaurant. The bar is the restaurant but it is never full.

We had amazing vacations there, we could rest and forget about everything! Holbox is the perfect place if your plan is to rest. We stayed three nights and felt that we were missing days to rest because we made the three island and the whale shark tours. Just beware of the mosquitoes, use repellent at night. Definetely we are coming back to the hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are the best! It's a dream to stay on those rooms and to have that incredi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holbox Hotel Mawimbi? Share your experiences!