“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Kensington
Cuisines: Dessert, Mexican, Vegetarian, Tea Room
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Kitchen Witch is located in an historic two-room schoolhouse built in 1832.The school building has been lovingly restored to authentic 19th Century decor. It features the original hardwood floors, trim and wainscotting throughout as well as gorgeous double-hung paned windows which admit lots of natural light and a breathtaking view. Beautifully decorated, it features antique wooden tables and pressback chairs, lovely wallcoverings and window treatments and vintage prints.Established in 1980, The Kitchen Witch Tea Room developed a tremendously loyal clientele of repeat customers, comprising both summer visitors and local residents. It has offered a tempting menu of sandwiches served on home-baked breads, freshly-ground coffee and a variety of teas.We have owned and operated The Kitchen Witch since 2006. Early in 2007 we became aware of the local demand for gluten-free products, and our menu was gradually modified to accommodate this need We established a designated area for preparation of gluten free items; including separate utensils and appliances.Our menu is now approximately 70% Celiac friendly, but we quickly outgrew the area established for gluten-free foods. We have recently expanded our operation to include a completely separate and fully equipped gluten-free kitchen.
Lower Sackville, Canada
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was there yesterday. I didn't try any of the food, just had the tea, for the Tea Reading.

Cozy Atmosphere, and friendly people.

• Visited August 2014

Calgary
“Great little tea room! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is great place to visit. Had the tortilla soup and so did my daughter. They were excellent. The service was wonderful and delightful. The bread is absolutely amazing. I had one with olives in it and it was great. Selection of teas is wonderful. I really great experience all in all.

Blackstone, Massachusetts
“Great for gluten free”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

You want gluten free - this is it. Breads, quiche, meatloaf, soups, desserts. Best thing - no cross contamination. Two kitchens. And the main kitchen is the gluten free kitchen.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Franklin, Tennessee
“Little piece of gluten free heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

At first we were nervous about a tea shoppe with "witch" in the name, but we are so delighted that we made time to try Kitchen Witch before we left the island. Deborah, the owner, made us feel like we had come home and explained the charming English legend of the "kitchen witch" who makes everything go right when she is in the kitchen! It is definitely working, because everything that came out of Deborah's kitchen was wonderful, starting with the iced tea. Definitely the best glass, I have ever had and I'm from TN! We are a gluten free family and the menu provided numerous choices for sandwiches, meatloaf with stuffing, and Mexican dishes that are a rare delicacy for a celiac sufferer. All of us devoured our meals and asked for dessert. My husband loved the chocolate cake so much that he took another piece to-go for later. Afterwards we shopped in their little store and took home jams, pickled jalapeños, and lemon curd to remind us of our new friends at Kitchen Witch.

• Visited July 2014
London, Canada
“Second visit as outstanding as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I think everyone is familiar with the 'fluke' experience at a restaurant: first time good, second time... not. We returned to the Kitchen Witch during our holiday on the Island, and had another excellent meal, along with very friendly and welcoming service from Debbie, the owner. This time, we called ahead as one of our party wanted to try the Baked Potato Pizza - we had been told that this takes longer to prepare as it's made completely from scratch when ordered. This item is not currently on the menu, but we'd read about it on the website. Debbie's husband, the chef, assured us when we called that it wasn't a problem - and it wasn't. The pizza was already cooking when we arrived. The pizza, and the rest of our meals - vegequitos with vegan chilli, gluten-free tamales and meatloaf - were absolutely delicious, and Debbie very kindly shared some gluten-free cooking tips for tamale-making with my gluten-intolerant friend.

Desserts were even more delicious - this time I tried the chocolate cream cheese bar and was completely blown away. It's probably the most amazing dessert I've ever had. I'd go back just for that alone. Ten out of ten.

However, the other reason I'm reviewing a second time is to address the one-star review below. I can't comment on the quality of someone else's meal experience, of course. However, I can comment - having eaten Tex-Mex at the K-W twice - that the temperature level of the food has been adjusted to suit PEI tastes, and that hot sauces are provided for those who like their Tex-Mex spicier. I can also point to my reviewer status on TripAdvisor - look at the badges beneath my profile - to indicate that I have been reviewing for a number of years on this site. I can't speak for other reviewers here, but my reviews of this restaurant are certainly not fake. I stand behind my reviews and the opinions stated in them, and anyone who doubts that is welcome to ask me about my experience at the location in question. In the case of the Kitchen Witch, I can honestly say that if this restaurant were local to my home we would be eating there regularly - too regularly for our waistlines, even if our tastebuds would appreciate it!

• Visited June 2014