“Quiet and clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa

You added Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   13011 Lakeshore Dr. S, Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z1, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary
“Quiet and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at the resort in early June. Stayed in a lovely one bedroom suite overlooking the pool and marsh area and lake. The sound of the birds was very peaceful. Bed was very comfortable, bathroom is spacious and suites are clean. Free internet. Having the kitchen was great. Beach area isn't big but adequate. Pool land hot tub are well maintained. Resort is away from the main hwy so very quiet. Would stay there again:)

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the road (bluff side) and are cheaper but no view of the lake:(
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Canmore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel a few days ago. The hotel is in an excellent location and we were given a very nice room on the third floor overlooking the lake. The hotel is starting to show its age in places, but overall the rooms were clean and well equipped with fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave. The internet worked well.

The only complaint I have is the charges on our bill. When my wife checked in, she was told that the room would cost $199 plus taxes. When she checked out the next morning, she was handed a receipt for $240.79 that had been charged to our credit card at 03:45 AM. She noticed that the taxes were GST 5% + PST 8% + Room Tax 8% - i.e. total taxes 21%. In BC, there should only be room tax and GST - i.e. total taxes of 13%

Upon querying why the taxes were so high, she was told that the hotel's computer system had been giving them problems for a couple of days, and they gave her a credit of $21.67.

But, I really do question whether this was a simple computer error that had occurred for the past few days, or a systematic attempt to extract extra money from the guests. If it was an ongoing computer error, why didn't the hotel staff check the statement for accuracy before putting through the charge of $240.79 at 03:45 AM. And how many other guests paid the extra charges simply because they didn't query the hotel bill when they checked out. Does the hotel have a policy to overcharge their out-of-province guests or is this simply the result of a lazy hotel employee who failed to check the bill - even though he knew there was a problem with the computer system?

I realize that the tax system in BC changed on April 1, but seriously, that was over two months ago - surely the hotel's computer systems should be working now. There is no excuse for this, and I doubt that we will stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SummerlandResort, Manager at Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review it seems that your stay was good except for the billing error upon your departure. You are right in regards to the taxes being incorrect on your bill. All people know that programing errors and computer glitches do happen from time to time; In this case it was a computer error where you got charge a Room Tax of 8% and the PST of 8% at the same time along with the 5% GST you should have been only charged the 8% Room Tax and 5% GST. Over the course of 3 days we had our Property Management system programmer’s working on this problem and we tried to make sure that we had all guest bills correct prior to departure, I sincerely apologize for that. I do think that it is very important that you have all your facts straight before you respond to such a situation, I can certainly understand your frustration. I do see that the Guest Service Agent did try to help the situation out for you by offering the credit. I do not think that is was a simple lazy employee because I was informed that very morning when I arrived about this issue, obviously a siltation for management to handle and not something that could be dealt with at 3:45am.
We are in the Hospitality business where we want each and every guest to have the most memorable experience possible no matter what country, city or province they are from when they leave our doors.
I do look forward to hearing from you to discuss your concerns in further detail at your convenience. I can be reached at 1.877.494.8180 or agm@summerlandresorthotel.com

Kind Regards,

Jason Brown
Assistant General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at the Summerland WR&S in late April, 2013. The rooms are all apartments/condo style - so full kitchen, private bedroom (although I think they have studios as well), and a nice balcony. I had a lake view and enjoyed sleeping with the balcony door open.

The resort is arts & crafts style - it reminds me of many resorts in Whistler.

Right on a little beach on the lake, and about 9 KM north of downtown Penticton (on the way up to Kelowna).

The pool and hot tub are fantastic, there's a nice little gym, and the staff were friendly.

I didn't eat at the restaurant but it looked busy (which I take as a good sign!).

I booked through Expedia and the check in process was smooth and accurate.

Room Tip: I thought it was worth the extra money for a lake view room..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our family stayed here for my daughter,s destination wedding, and we could not have been more pleased. Our two bedroom two bathroom suite was spacious, comfortable, lovely, with a large deck looking out over an expanse of green lawn and view of the water. Suite 525, I recommend it.
The super clean hot tub and pool look out onto a lovely marsh and walkway. The landscaping has been done beautifully...all feels quiet and private. I loved the roses, everything. Terrific food in the lounge, good little bistro for breakfast things. A dream destination.

Room Tip: Though not on the water, we had a view of the water from our deck which was lovely. I think this is...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed there and attended a wedding reception at the hotel. Rooms were above average but very overpriced. A group Harley motorcycle guys decided to roast a pig (with the hide and hair still on) in the parking lot and it stunk up the whole place just as the wedding reception was starting. Had a hell of a time getting them to move it ; they said the manager had told them it was OK. Meal was excellent but extremely overpriced. Key to room didn;t work had to go back to the office twice, key to the underground parking didn't work either. Had to back onto the road while 2 cars behind me also trying to get in honked their horns and yelled at me. Don't bother with this place. You can do much better just about anywhere.

Room Tip: Highly overpriced. Not worth the money
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Faulconbridge, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

WE had the best 3 days here ,rooms were lovely ,staff were lovely and the location was perfect , 5star all the way.I really liked the quality of the resort our room had every appliance we needed e bed was very comfortable .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SummerlandResort, Manager at Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, we do appreciate you kind comments. I was delighted to see that we have been able to reach out to such an international audience and we do hope you spread the word about your experience at our resort.

Kind Regards,

Jason
Assistant General Manager
Calgary, AB, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend several New Year's ago, and thought I should share our experience.I believe it was Jan 2010. It was quiet, beautiful, clean and VERY comfortable. Highly recommend it to anyone! The restaurant next door "The Local" is amazing! Great food and service. It is a bit pricey, but the location, the view, the food, wine and service is well worth the cost!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!