“The most perfect spot to create memories” 5 of 5 stars

You added Rumboat Retreat to your Saves list
Rumboat Retreat
Mount Nesbit, Grenada (Formerly Bluebay Lodge)   |
Montclair, NJ
“The most perfect spot to create memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Bluebay Lodge is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the true experience of Grenada. The service is exceptional. You truly feel that the whole world revolves around you, if only for the length of your stay! Lisette and her crew did everything to provide us with an experience that was custom made just for us! A very special, very unique experience! A true treasure!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Bluebay Lodge is a perfect place to get to know Grenada! It's owned by a hip, young British woman and staffed by a sloo of knowledgeable, fun, local family and friends. She gives great referrals for local services and can arrange the top-of-the-line day trips and activities. She organizes trips and provides transportation to events you won't be able to find out about from large-scale hotels. When we were there, she arranged scuba diving, a rainforest hike, beach trips, spice plantation / processing, and trips to 3 local food festivals for us. The in-house food is outstanding and reasonably priced, and there's a bar with fantastic cocktails by Jimmy! :) Try the Rum Punch with fresh-grated nutmeg, or request a made-to-order local dish like tattoo or oil-down. I demanded the recipe for the coconut rolls we got for breakfast daily with local jams! The rooms are bright, clean, and romantic, overlooking the pool or the ocean and fruit trees. The crazy thing its it's way cheaper than most other places! The only sort-of-bad-thing is the fact it's a 40-minute drive to St. George / Grand Anse, but it's easy, cheap and fun to take buses between 7 AM and 10 PM. I couldn't imagine going to Grenada without staying at Bluebay!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
TravelingSong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed at Bluebay Lodge for six nights in January. If you're looking for an off the beaten track but comfortable Caribbean getaway, then Bluebay is the place for you. What I really liked about Bluebay is that it is beautiful, with all of the amenities you would find at a hotel (air conditioning, tv, pool, bar, chef, comfortable and attractive rooms, lounge, internet) but without the touristy, impersonal feel or hefty price tag. Actually, I think that Bluebay is seriously underpriced, so you should hurry up and go before Lisette wises up and charges a fortune ;)

Lisette, the owner, and Jimmy (who does everything else) made us feel like we were old friends. They set us up with locals who took us on an amazing hike to three beautiful waterfalls, as well as an island tour that took us to a rum distillery, old plantation and secluded beach and a snorkeling trip on a catamaran. Even though we were the only ones there for a couple of nights, Lisette still took the time to take us to a restaurant 30 minutes away to hear live music. I can't really compare it to anywhere else that I've ever stayed because no one has ever gone so out of their way to make sure we got the best possible experience quite like this. Jimmy was always at the ready to make us a drink or bring us our breakfast or just chat, and even invited my boyfriend to go fishing with him. They basically welcome you into their way of life when you arrive, but are also willing to give you space when you desire it.

Bluebay is 20-30 minutes from the main town of St. George but puts you smack dab in the middle of the island and everything else that there is to see. I don't think that we would have gotten nearly the feel for the island had we stayed on the Grand Anse in St. George. The thing that we quickly learned about Grenada is that, unlike Barbados or other more touristy islands, you're sort of stuck at your resort. You can't just go and rent chairs or water sports equipment elsewhere on the beach, and if you do anything through your hotel, they charge you a fortune. Because the infrastructure isn't totally there, you have to know some local people to get the best rates and the best experience. We hardly ever saw a tourist outside of St. George, probably because they didn't know where to go or how to get there! This is why staying at Bluebay was so great.

If you want to lie on the beach all of the time, you should probably stay in the southern part of the island. But I wouldn't recommend Grenada for beach lounging, that's not really the charm of the island or its strong point. BBC was the best beach we found. Just ask one of the minibus drivers to take you there and he'll charge you a small extra fee. I'd also recommend snorkeling the underwater sculpture park, as it was a really unique experience.

My only complaint about Bluebay would be the pace of food service. The food was really excellent (including tons of fresh fruit and juices) but would sometimes take over an hour to come out, which for breakfast is too long, especially when you want to get going with your day. Oh well, we quickly learned that Grenada time is a bit off in general--10 minutes usually means 40 :) I'm sure that things might be a bit quicker or more structured when there are more people staying at the lodge. As it was, they were often only catering to us.

I would highly recommend Bluebay, and think that it is a real gem hidden away in the Caribbean. We have some amazing memories now thanks to Lisette and Jimmy.

• Liked — Rooms, hospitality, food, bar, pool, uniqueness
  • Disliked — Pace of food service, slow internet
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bluebay Lodge for 3 nights at the end of December 2008 and we had a wonderful time! We had been traveling for 2 weeks around the Grenadines and we truly felt like we'd come home when we got to Bluebay.

Lisette and the rest of the staff are wonderful. She took us on a short tour of the city and the spice plantation on our first morning, telling us all about the local culture and plants. She was so helpful and accomodating, helping us set up a waterfall hike and other local happenings, such as the annual christmas tree lighting.

The room itself was very nice and clean, comfortable, ceiling fans, cable, air con is available. Lisette does a great job in decorating the rooms, great pillows, plush towels and the like. It is a fantastic deal for the price!! The area is very quiet and relaxing. There is an outside area with a pool and some lounging chairs. The guesthouse has a common area with a very comfy couch, large tv with cable and connected to the small dining area and bar. The bartender made us some killer pina coladas and the food was excellent as well. We went for the all-inclusive option which included breakfast and dinner. We thought it was a great deal.

Overall we had a fantastic stay. We were looking to getaway from the busy and sometimes loud caribbean towns and the bluebay lodge was perfect! We hope to go back again some time.

• Liked — friendly staff and comfortable room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Bluebay on our way home from visiting family in Carriacou. I ran in Bluebay via a travel expo in Barbados and it instanly appeal to me but I didn't expect such a stay.
From the very first welcome by LIsette to the time we left we experienced the wonderful hospitality of this special place.We felt spoilt, nothing was too much trouble, the staff and other team members gave the personal treatment that is missing in so many holiday trips.
The hike must not be missed, be prepared for the terrain that is typical Grenada, and wear good walking gear for a rainy day.
Great fun crossing the rivers to the waterfall.
The Fish Fry is low-key compared to other developed islands, but at least its an opportunity to mingle and enjoy some island flavors. We've heard the lobster is not to be missed.
If you're looking for peace and quiet without the fanfare you will find it at Bluebay .
Without a doubt we found it and will return soon

Tony and Kathy from Barbados

• Liked — the staff very hospitable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Allen Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed at the Bluebay in mid June of 2008 and LOVED IT! This place is 5 star on all counts!
Lisette and her staff were amazing- willing do do whatever they could to make you feel welcome, comfortable, entertained and safe. The meals and drinks were wonderful, my huge room was extremely comfortable and EVERYBODY went out of their way to make my stay extra enjoyable. If I wanted to hang out with the other guests, trips were arranged. If I wanted to explore on my own, at the end of the day I was warmly welcomed back with a smile, a cold drink and a friendly " how was your day?". Never intrusive, always welcoming. Local flavor, excellent accomadations, the best hostess ever.. I could go on and on.
You MUST stay here!

• Liked — The Staff!
  • Disliked — I loved EVERYTHING!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

During May of 2008 I stayed at three different hotels while on an extended trip to Grenada. Bluebay Lodge, Lisette and staff, offered my wife and I the most lovely stay we have had among many good visits on several different islands. The lodge is clean and well run. Lisette is a most remarkable proprietor and hostess, very well connected in the Gouyave area, and with a great sense of how to connect visitors with people and place. The food was absolutely superb, coming fresh from farms, fishermen, and vendors in the area. The chef at Bluebay offered us what was by far the the best food we ate on Grenada, which is rightly known for its cuisine as the "spice island." Gouyave Friday was a lovely event featuring seafood booths, drumming, and general Friday night street spectacle. Gouyave itself is a charming small town with a French architectural feel similar--in much smaller scale--to New Orleans, which was founded at about the same time. A guided hike and swim at Concord Falls and a nearby plantation visit were both great experiences, organized and/or led by Lisette. I can not say enough about the value, quality, and spiritedness of our stay at Bluebay Lodge except to say that we aim to return as often as possible. This is the best place from which to explore and see Grenada. It is a very special labor of love for those who keep it running and is now without doubt my favorite place to stay in the eastern Caribbean.

• Liked — how the owner can help you to see the area so powerfully/graciously. And the FOOD!
  • Disliked — no problems at all
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rumboat Retreat? Share your experiences!