“This place made vacation horrible” 1 of 5 stars

You added Bel Air Plantation Resort to your Saves list
Bel Air Plantation Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   St. David's Point, LB 125, Grenada   |
Silver Spring, Maryland
“This place made vacation horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

I came across this site after our horrible experience. I hope people can heed my advice.

After spending months researching places to stay for the family vacation, we came across Grenada. A couple people at my office had been talking it up so I decided to find places to stay. That's when I came across the Bel Air Plantation. Out of all the places to stay, Bel Air was rated heads and shoulders above the rest. This is when the trouble started. When I went to setup reservations, they stated that there were no children. Fine I figured, we could see if our friends wanted to take a couple's vacation with us. So we figured out dates and booked the trip.

Finally a few months later we made our way down to Grenada. Bel Air arranged for a shuttle which was disaster since the guy showed up an hour late and nearly left half our luggage on the sidewalk. We arrived at the resort where we greeted by the staff and shown around. The resort seemed to be in nice condition with everyone busily working away. My friends and I split off to our separate rooms. Upon entering the room and looking around there was an undeniable musty smell. My wife and I are not usually one to complain but it was a very strong smell. So I went over to the desk to ask to either clean the room or for another one. After being asked ten times about the smell they said they would see what they could do. Walking back to the room I realized I had left my key by accident. Right before returning to the desk, I heard the lady I had just spoken to talking about "typical Americans and their complaining." I went over picked up my key and headed back. I told my wife who was furious and I told her to calm down since it was only one person. I called my friends and asked how their room was. They told me upon entering the room they found an unmade bed and towels on the bathroom floor. I then told them our story. Since we agreed that maybe the people were just behind schedule, why not just explore and let them fix everything up for us. So we began to explore around the grounds a bit. Again everything seemed in nice neat order. When walking down towards the beach we heard (loudly), two men arguing. One was arguing about how he hadn't been paid in 3 weeks. The other said the money would be there soon. My friend thought maybe they were just trying to make us feel pity for tips. Either way I thought to myself, great this place gets better and better. Once we walked what seemed like 5 miles to the "beach", we found it, which happened to be a bay. Lovely.

Going back to the room a few hours later, it still had the same smell. So I called up the front desk and they said we could move to a new room. We moved our stuff to the new room and went to eat. We went to the onsite restaurant. Based on the reviews I was expecting great things. The drinks were watered down and the food was tasteless. I figured maybe it was a bad night. Right before we went to the beach, one of our friends was attached to her toilet to say it nicely. We hoped it was just her adjusting, but either way it just kept piling on. So my friends stayed behind, and my wife and I went to the "beach." Note a beach usually has some form of water movement and some form of sand in the water to walk on. Upon returning to the room, the toilet was leaking and managed to soak the floor. I went over to the front desk and explained to them about the toilet. They said they would send someone over. Our ill friend stayed behind, while, her husband ventured with us back to the restaurant, hoping the food would be better. We still received watered down drinks and rather tasteless Yellowfin Tuna. We went back to the room and found the toilet merely shutoff but not fixed. I called the desk to ask and they said they couldn't fix it tonight, we had to wait till tomorrow. They said that they would add it to our bill. I said add what? They said we caused the damaged. I said thats impossible, it was from the back of the toilet. They insisted, so I went down to the desk. She said it was in their policy and any damage by guests was their responsibility. I asked to speak to the manager, she said she was it. I asked who else I could speak to and she said the owner Suzanne. About 15 minutes later Suzanne came over and asked what was going on. I explained and she explained in a slurred voice that was the policy. I kept explaining and after a few minutes she became very agitated and told me if I didn't like that policy, I shouldn't have stayed here. I said I agreed with the policy just that it was not our fault. She came closer, yelling at me and said sorry nothing I can do. She said she caters to important clientele and can't be bothered by cheaters such as myself. I went over to our friends room and told them the story. I went back to the room, packed our stuff, and we all took a taxi into town. I called my credit card company and told them that I was defrauded and to cancel the transaction.

We decided to stay at the Grenadian which was better but not great. Needless to say it was a vacation from hell, something I figured that would happen to Chevy Chase, not us. It provides a good laugh for my friends and I but was not fun to live it.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
BelAirMgmt, Owner at Bel Air Plantation Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2008
This “review” is complete fiction, including the claim that these people were actually guests at Bel Air Plantation Villa Resort. It is so absurd that no further comments are necessary.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

We arrived at Bel Air Plantation following a dreadful experience at Villa Caribella.
What a difference!
The Villas are beautifully located, well maintained and spotlessly clean.
The grounds are lush and also beautifully maintained.
Eleven Villas in total, all are very private and ours (a 2 bedroom) had lovely views of the Marina.
There is a superb restaurant open all day and a small shop for essentials however a car is highly recommended.
The nearest and, in our opinion best beach La Sagesse is a five minute drive away.
Security was not an issue, but the grounds were patrolled each evening.
The swimming pool, whilst great for us, is not suitable for small children being 4 foot and 10 foot deep.
Fellow travellers should also be aware that the Villas are on a hill and there are some steep walks from the villas to the bottom of the Development.
A truly lovely experience. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Before coming to Bel Air Plantation, my husband and I stayed at one of the most romantic resorts in Grenada and in the Caribbean for three days before moving to this hotel. Even though we were celebrating our anniversary and were looking for a bit of romance, we actually fell in love with Bel Air over the other place. (To follow guidelines, I will not disclose the name of the other hotel).

Our cottage in Bel Air Plantation, was our little home away from home. I know that is cliche, but it really did not feel like we were staying in a resort / hotel, it felt as though it was our own little house up on the hill. To tell a little more about the cottage and Bel Air, I have provided a list of +'s and -'s:

+ The cottages came with a mini-kitchen equipped with a kettle, stove, sink, microwave and all the utensils / plates. We didn't think we would want to cook much on vacation, but the supermarkets were quite reasonably priced (especially compared to the expensive restaurant foods all around Grenada).

+ The cottages were very clean and decorated in a cool, simple, and refreshing caribbean style and The bathroom was huge! Very spacious, and the hotel website is not kidding when they say shower large enough for two. Heck you could probably fit three or four in there. But I suppose that is your business to decide... :)

+ Air conditioner was strong enough to cool the entire cottage, but you also had plenty of windows if you prefer to enjoy the night breeze.

+ The verandas are relatively private (except for when security comes to turn on the outside lights) and they have a great ocean view from the veranda! (Great sunsets!)

+ The bed was comfortably and had the best sheets of all the places we stayed at in Grenada. I also was impressed with the size and softness of the towels.

+ My favorite thing about Bel Air was the pool. It was just the right temperature and sparkling clean. The infinity edge was nothing exciting. I don't think it enhanced my pool experience at all, and for some reason a lot of flies hung around that edge. The pool is very deep very quickly (watch that last step - it's about a 3 ft drop!) and if you are bringing children, make sure you watch them. As an adult, I thought the depth and size of the pool were just right. The pool also had an "honor bar" which allowed you to grab a Carib or make yourself a mix drink and charge it to your room. The changing rooms (right next to the pool) were quite roomy and towels and sunscreen were offered outside of the rooms.

- A small sum of money was removed from a hiding spot in our room while we were out one morning. When we came back to our cottage, the maid scurried out and left a few of her cleaning supplies in our kitchen. We alerted management and asked for our room not to be cleaned for the remainder of our trip. We experienced no further problems.

Other things to note about Bel Air:

Beach - don't be fooled this is not a beach you would want to swim near. The hotel is located right on a marina and there are boats moored in the bay. Also, the beach disappears as the tide changes. When the beach is "out" it is littered with garbage (common in Grenada) and with debris from the sea and does not make an adequate sunbathing spot. (but the pool does!) If you are looking for a hotel with a great beach to hangout on all day, this is definitely not your place.

Hike - If you are brave enough, walk up the dirt path that says not to go beyond the sign. There is a footpath that takes you out to a magnificent point with many breathtaking views of the ocean, mountains, and hillside. I have added some pictures of the views.

Restaurant - The restaurant does not offer a wide selection, but it is reasonable enough for the size. I did not find the food amazing and thought it a bit pricey, but it is hard to be choosy in Grenada. (Side note: If you are looking for inexpensive American food, drive to the Dingy Dock attached to the True Blue Bay Resort.)

Why we loved Bel Air - all the luxuries of a resort, coupled with great ocean views, convenience to a great beach (La Sagesse), and the feeling of being at home.

• Liked — The pool!
  • Disliked — The maid!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

We actually found this hotel by reading other peoples experiences and our first comment is that there is not a shortage of anything (apart from a cheeseburger one day!). The gratious and friendly owner runs a small private place in paradize, obviously a labor of love. It's beautifully kept with little cottages on a nutmeg plantation, service is personal and top notch. The manager was quite happy to organise our whole stay and even gave us a cell phone so she could check in on us, we felt very well looked after. It's very private and quiet with terrific views of the gorgeous bay. If you are the adventurous type hire a car and explore the island. You will need a car to get to the beaches, although the hotel does offer a complimentary car to the nearest beach, 15 mins away which has a cute beach bar and restaurant. None of the beaches are walking distance. If you are elderly ask for one of the cottages at the bottom of the hill, its quite steep to climb up.
Service was top rate, great cocktails and large a la carte menu. The pool is prestine and a great place to come with the family or a romantic trip. Fully recommended if you want a rest and some zen.
Don't go to The Rex in Grenada the biggest all inclusive hotel on the island. The staff are very rude and the food is TERRIBLE. The Aquariam restaurant is right next door on a prestine beach, one of the best on the island, this place comes highly recommended as does The Bel Air Plantation. Dream vacation....a little piece of paradise.

Stayed December 2007
bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversairy at Bel Air and felt we had the whole estate to ourselves.
Our villa was spacious with seperate living accom and fabulous bathroom with much enjoyed jacuzzici bath!
Did notice lack of trad carib beach but enjoyed secluded infinity pool and took daily walk thru rain forest to La Sagesse to the most amazing beach.(walk is steep and hilly but we got lift back most days)((excellent rum punches)).
Enjoyed taking kayak out to local bars and chatting with yachtmens.
Catered for ourselves most nights as husband is keen cook and fisherman. we had great fun sourcing fresh food in town.
Restraunt at Bel Air is wonderful. Great for a treat or everyday depending on what you wish from your holiday.We loved the veg curry and the rum chicken.
Quiet, pretty, relaxing if you like. Kayak across the water to a lively bar if you want company.During our stay there was a wedding party from Nebraska US who were ace.
We had an amazing time,you can make Bel Air your personal paradise.

• Liked — accommodaion
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

August 6, 2007
Trip Advisor Reviewer Florida
Bel Air was nice enough, but I am an older man and the trek up and down the nutmeg shell paths were hard for me. I'm sure for others it would be fine, but I guess I don't have the stamina I used to have. I should have researched my vacation better, so it wasn't such a surprise. I guess I thought it would be a quiet lazy vacation, but it was hard on these old bones. I'm sure it would be different for others that like that sort of thing. The room was clean and neat. The food was acceptable. This isn't the resort for fellow travelers like me though. Herb

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — up and down The hilly paths. It threw me off balance the nutmeg shells that make up the paths. I was always afraid i was going to fall.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grenada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I treated my wife to two days at Bel Air for her birthday, we had a one room villa, colourfully painted in peach and blue. The experience was simply heavenly. We savoured the natural beauty of this place, untouched yet irresistible. From our bed, we had a wonderful view of the habour and the rolling hills as they engaged the coastline. Imagine we woke up to that every morning, just refreshing!

Then the villa itself, could not have been more professionally and thoughtfully decorated. Class emanated from the pieces used. We particularly fell for the furniture and the paintings.

I made a promise to make Bel Air a tradition. I recommend it any day!

KC

• Liked — Serenity and natural beauty
  • Disliked — Security
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bel Air Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!