“5th anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   St. David's Point, LB 125, Grenada   |
bath
“5th anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversairy at Bel Air and felt we had the whole estate to ourselves.
Our villa was spacious with seperate living accom and fabulous bathroom with much enjoyed jacuzzici bath!
Did notice lack of trad carib beach but enjoyed secluded infinity pool and took daily walk thru rain forest to La Sagesse to the most amazing beach.(walk is steep and hilly but we got lift back most days)((excellent rum punches)).
Enjoyed taking kayak out to local bars and chatting with yachtmens.
Catered for ourselves most nights as husband is keen cook and fisherman. we had great fun sourcing fresh food in town.
Restraunt at Bel Air is wonderful. Great for a treat or everyday depending on what you wish from your holiday.We loved the veg curry and the rum chicken.
Quiet, pretty, relaxing if you like. Kayak across the water to a lively bar if you want company.During our stay there was a wedding party from Nebraska US who were ace.
We had an amazing time,you can make Bel Air your personal paradise.

• Liked — accommodaion
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

August 6, 2007
Trip Advisor Reviewer Florida
Bel Air was nice enough, but I am an older man and the trek up and down the nutmeg shell paths were hard for me. I'm sure for others it would be fine, but I guess I don't have the stamina I used to have. I should have researched my vacation better, so it wasn't such a surprise. I guess I thought it would be a quiet lazy vacation, but it was hard on these old bones. I'm sure it would be different for others that like that sort of thing. The room was clean and neat. The food was acceptable. This isn't the resort for fellow travelers like me though. Herb

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — up and down The hilly paths. It threw me off balance the nutmeg shells that make up the paths. I was always afraid i was going to fall.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grenada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I treated my wife to two days at Bel Air for her birthday, we had a one room villa, colourfully painted in peach and blue. The experience was simply heavenly. We savoured the natural beauty of this place, untouched yet irresistible. From our bed, we had a wonderful view of the habour and the rolling hills as they engaged the coastline. Imagine we woke up to that every morning, just refreshing!

Then the villa itself, could not have been more professionally and thoughtfully decorated. Class emanated from the pieces used. We particularly fell for the furniture and the paintings.

I made a promise to make Bel Air a tradition. I recommend it any day!

KC

• Liked — Serenity and natural beauty
  • Disliked — Security
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

Having seen the review by nannny it was with some trepidation we set of for Bel Air, however our experience there was one of the best of our lives. The location and views are stupendous, and Susan has designed her accomodation and gardens to blent in with the surrounding area to perfection. For us the terraced nature of the resort was one of its beauties, but this would not be the case for anyone with mobility problems, as there are steep rises up to the pool and many of the villas.
All of the staff were friendly and courteous and performed their tasks in a professional and efficient manner, the food was excellent, but persons on stays of longer than a week would probably need some variety with trips to other restaurants. There are two other good ones within close proximity.
If you are looking for solitude and relaxation the need for a car does not arise, but for us it enabled us to have the flexibility to explore this wonderful island at our own leisure.
The whole experience was unforgettable and we will definetely be back.

• Liked — Location and views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

I could not beleive what i was reading in a previous report, this is an upscale, quiet property, the location and gardens are second to none, the restaurant is quiet and apart from no lobster when it is out of season i have never seen any of the shortages previously reported, we are returning in June 07 for our 4th stay, if you are looking for an all singing and dancing, in your face, all inclusive then Bel Air is not for you, it is very quiet and will never be any different, the views are spectacular from all of the villas and i can honestly say i have never had a sub standard meal.
It is not suitable for anyone who cannot climb steps etc as it is set into a steep hillside, you will need a car to get about as you are 25 minutes from the main touristy locations, yes the main reception is not manned all night but this is primarily a villa resort and you have the choice of catering in your villa and eating away from the resort or staying put and eating in the restaurant, that is the beauty of the place, you can do what you like.
we have been to the West Indies in excess of 40 times and have stayed at many wonderful resorts but we keep coming back to Bel Air, it is exactly what we want from a vacation and one mans meat is another mans poison, hope this is helpful to anyone not quite sure, we love it and hope you will to.

• Liked — Upscale accomodation, quietness of resort
  • Disliked — no beach
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

My husband and I have been visiting Grenada for 20 yers and have stayed at several properties on the Island. I must say that we discovered a little piece of heaven in St. Davids.
Several years ago we met a couble from the UK at a Grenada resort and became fast friends. We decided to meet same time same place each year. In December 2004 we were to meet once again and that resort was badly damaged by Hurricane Ivan. After a few weeks of confused searching we booked at Bel Air Plantation. Pictures of the plantation were beautiful but we did not know what to expect. Built to Florida Hurricane Standards we were pleasantly surprised that the only damage was to the vegetation. While most of the island was still having electricity blackouts, Bel Air has it's own generator so there was no interuption of service. Since then we have repeated our stay and look forward to our 2007 stay.
The accomodations both the villas and the cottages are very comfortable and elegently appointed. The owner, Susan, has a flair with decorating and has made sure that the furniture and bed is are very comfortable , the bed is dressed in the finest linens and the matress is superb. Each house is equipped with everything you need (or might need) for a fretless stay. I was pleasantly surprised to find a sicssor in the kitchen drawer. How many times had I wished I had one while on vacation. I cannot say enough about the rooms and my only complaint is that the TV programming is not up to American Standards (or mine actually). The DVD player is good but the satellite TV does not reflect my American taste. Truly this is only noticable on rainy days - which there are few.
The houskeeping staff is excellent and their tasks performed descretely and with great efficiency. The grounds are magnificent and manicured daily. The pool is always clean and
the views are to be awed There is no beach which is missed by me, but LaSagess is just a short car ride away so my fetish for sand is easily satisfied.
We have been All-Inclusive guests and I will say that we always enjoyed the food and drink. From Choice Steak to Lobster to Ceasur Salad, the menu is deverse and the food is fresh. There
is usually a nightly special to give another option to the more than pleantyful choices. The service is sometimes slow but all main dishes are made to order and when in Grenada you must remember we all live by "Caribbean" time which always runs slower than we are used to. We have to remind ourselves that we are on holiday. Our friends are wine drinkers and praise the house wines. All liquor is top shelf and the bartending staff is friendly and helpful. Almost daily at dinner time we would be joined at the bar by the owner and she would stay for a chat. This touch makes you feel that you are her guest rather than a "paying customer".
I must say that I am not much on reviews, although this does seem quite lengthly. I was prompted by a prior negative review which led me to believe that they were not staying at the same Bel Air Plantation.
If you are looking for a relaxing, stress free vacation that is not dictated by "fashion statements" ; don't pack your evening wear and join us at Bel Air Plantation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hills
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

Where do i begin? I paid a lot of money for a very unpleasant "vacation." I did a lot of research before booking this hotel. I read many glowing reviews about the beauty of this resort, the helpfulness of the staff, the fine food, the well equipped villas. I just didn't see it. The villa my boyfriend and I stayed in had many problems. The air conditioning frequently didn't work well or at all. Much of the supplies, including linen, etc. were badly in need of replacement and/or updating. The whole resort is spread out so often it's not an easy trek from one area to another. The food at the restraurant is mundane at best. I can't even begin to list all the items that were not available from much of the wine list to soft drinks. This didn't seem to be an issue for the staff. It would have been nice if there was even a hint of apology for this. Especially again as we had spent a lot of money to go a long way to be treated as poorly as we were. Several of the staff were rude and treated us as though they were doing us a favor, instead of as guests. It was frequently difficult to get a ride to La Sagess(sp?). When we booked we were assured we wouldn't need to rent a car. The staff initially upon checking in told us to just let them know when we wanted a ride. It wasn't exactly like that, it often took an inordinate amount of time. At times we came into contact with what we were told was the owner, who seemed to imbibe a large amount of alcohol starting early in the day. She gave us a ride fairly early one morning, after that we avoided her driving us again. We preferred not risking our lives again with her. It's not that we don't think people should enjoy themselves. It seemed very unprofessional to me, aside from reckless. During our stay, we encountered her other times and it was not a pleasant experiance, she was frequently loud, mean, and obnoxious to us. For all of you considering this resort for your vacation, reconsider. I was so upset by this experiance it took me several months to write this review, for others to be forewarned. If I had known what I do now I would have gone some place else that knows how to treat people with respect and attempt to make sure their guests enjoy their stay.

• Liked — That it only lasted 7 days
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bel Air Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!