“Fantasatic Cuban hospitality and great food !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa La Cabana Obel & Yoly

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vinales
Casa La Cabana Obel & Yoly
You added Casa La Cabana Obel & Yoly to your Saves list
Calle C # 3 | La Carbonera, Vinales 22400, Cuba   |
Ranked #54 of 153 Vinales B&B and Inns
London
“Fantasatic Cuban hospitality and great food !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days bed, breakfast and evening meals in the house, which was soon like a second home to us. The casa is off the main high road and down a back road. In the entrance to the left, is a small pool with turles in it, then the main dining area, the kitchen behind that and then the rooms. Ours had a double and 2 singles plus toilet and shower and was fine. There is a rocking chair out to the back and a rooftop, too. The prices were good value - important when on a budget!
My partner is Cuban, so had asked friends for a reccommendation . We were met from the bus and taken to La Cabana. I laughed when I realised this was the place I visited back in Dec 11 on my first trip to Cuba . A group of 14 of us had spent a great evening here - we could not believe the fantastic quality and variety of the food and had christened it " the Malibu house".
The food was great - with plentiful breakfasts- anda choice of evening meals - pork, lobster, beef, paella- nothing was too much trouble and Emilia's cooking was fabulous! This part of Cuba grows lots of the food for the rest of Cuba , so supply is plentiful. We were invited to help ourselves to the huge hands of banannas hanging in the dining room, and plenty of fresh juices.
On the first day, I spent lunchtime with a group of local musicians singing as many Beatles songs as we could remember. Although Vinales has a sleepy, realaxed feel to it, there are various activities. The daily "hop on, hop off" bus is very good value. A trip to the caves was good fun too, and we also went horse riding in the valley. Johania and her staff have a variety of contacts and suggestions for activities, and there are plenty of local taxi drivers, too.
If you want to go swimming, check out the 3 hotels - they all have great views of the valley- for about 6 CUKS you can spend the day at the pool and most of the 6CUKS is redeemable against snacks and drinks at the hotel bar.
We went to the town square for a fiesta , and the Case de Trova several times to hear live bands and to dance. We were treated with great warmth and traditional Cuban hospitality. Highly reccommended!

Room Tip: For a good room, just ask !!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Located away from the main road of the town, we had this tranquil wooden cabin in the centre of the plot between the main houses of the hosts, not very large but clean and comfortable. Complete with ensuite shower and air-conditioning. The shower head was a bit quirky - I guess it's a small-scale electric instant water heater, which didn't feel very secure and safe but indeed worked. Water pressure from shower was a bit weak but nevertheless was not too big a problem. There is a rather spartan roof terrace over the main house - I had a couple of nights looking at the starry skies and setting camera up for sky pictures here - treasurable moments for a city dweller.

The dinner is definitely the highlight of staying in this casa as Obel is a chef at a local hotel restaurant! One of the best meals we have had in Cuba. I definitely recommend trying the lobster! Breakfasts are generous portions of fruits, fried eggs, bread and coffee. It was Ana's birthday and they shared the birthday cake with us. How warm and friendly!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

You have to know that this house is not on the first position only because other houses have more place to host people (3 or more rooms) so they can have more good reviews. This house only have ONE HOUSE... I was in Havana in another very good house, but... this house is another category: best mojito and best cookers. The house is 5 minutes walking from the "city center", and there you can go on the top and see the Valley. The house is very clean and private.
I recommend to go there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

What a lovely family. They were so kind and welcoming. We only stayed one night but had a great time. Yoly and Obel also cooked us a gorgeous meal in the evening and was by far the best meal we had in the whole of Cuba. The kids were great and we think our British sweets went down a treat as the youngest at one point had 3 in her mouth and we introduced her to the delights of Sherbet Dip dabs..
We also spent the day with their brother in law who took us out on a horse riding tour, farmer visit and tobacco factory visit. He was amazing and we really enjoyed it, plus his English was brilliant.
Stay with these guys they are fantastic....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Casa Obel. The cabin is comfortable and clean with air conditioning, hot water and ventilation. The room can easily sleep 3 people. My host came to pick me up at the bus station. She fixed me the best mojito I had in my entire stay. She also hooked me up with a great horse tour guide who showed me the Vinales Valley. I loved the lady's food. She fixed me a great lobster for dinner. She was also nice enough to charge me half-price because I was by myself. I would def recommend this casa and I would def stay there next time I return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

I think like a few other travelers here, we first tried booking with Villa Cristal... They were booked for our requested dates and suggested a number of alternatives including Obel y Yoly's. I picked this casa because of the pictures - the cabana looked very welcoming and I liked that the family had three little girls. We were traveling with our two year old and thought that maybe they would play together. Our two-night stay here ended up being my favourite memory from our two-week vacation. The hosts were wonderful, and their little girls took care of our girl by playing with her and even teaching her a Spanish song. The food was great and so were the mojitos. We enjoyed all the animals that wondered into the yard; they kept our little girl busy. The cabana is clean and the beds big and comfortable. Obel told us he built the place with his friend, which is really impressive. The location is also fantastic - maybe a seven minute walk to the town square, where you can enjoy live music every night. We have already recommended this casa to other travelers we met in the latter part of our Cuba trip and we recommend it here too!

• Stayed May 2012
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We spent 3 days here recently. The cabin is comfortable and the food is great, but it is this family that makes the experience rich. Yoli is wonderfully warm and always willing to speak slowly enough to be understood. The three girls are full of life, curious and lovely. When we arrived Obel had just slaughtered a pig and was making chicarones in a hugh cauldron behind the cabin. The house is located on the outskirts of the town, across the road from tabacco field, yet it is only a three minute walk the to town center. Yoli was very helpful in arranging trips in the area (to Cayo Jutia, caves as well as horseback and hiking).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Casa La Cabana Obel & Yoly? Share your experiences!