“The ever pleasing Crane” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Splash
London, United Kingdom
“The ever pleasing Crane”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

It was the 2nd time for my husband and I. We went in 2010 and it was probably the most luxurious holiday I'd been on and we agreed that when we came back to Barbados this was the place to stay. We had to fly out for a wedding this year and this time we had our 11 month old baby.

We stayed in the junior suite in 2010 which was more than enough for a couple, we had a massive bedroom leading off to a balcony on one side and to a "dining room" on the other end. It's still part of the room but carved out so almost seperately. The junior suites have a small kitchen with fridge, microwave and stove and everyday coffee/tea/sweetners are replaced. The bathroom is absolutely massive with 2 basins and a jet tub, massive shower (comfortably fitted 2) and a huge wardrobe. It was just beautiful and we had a view of the gardens in front and tennis court/other rooms and partial view of the sea in the lounge area.

Our stay this year was in a 1 bedroom plunge pool room. Absolutely amazing and the baby loved it as he started walking so had lots of room to explore. Coming in you have a bathroom straight in front of you which is equipped with a shower & toilet, next you enter the kitchen which is also fitted with a washing machine and dryer. This is then followed by a huge dining room and lounge, room again was big and fitted with a cot (at our request) and the same size bathroom as the junior suite including another toilet.

Our holiday was absolutely brilliant again - baby loved the beach and pools and the best thing is I didn't have to leave our room as we had our own plunge pool.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, everything has been spot on both times and I would recomment trying out the Asian restuarant - book in advance as it's a popular haunt for tourists on the island.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the pools are generally quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CraneOM, Operations Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Mandy69187,

Thank you for taking the time to post this comprehensive review of our suites! As you may be aware, each suite was specially designed to rival our breathtaking views and we are thrilled that you continue to enjoy each category.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your high recommendation and we look forward to welcoming your family again soon.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

we vacation 4 weeks a year or more, stay only at 5 star resorts, this is now my favorite. the people at Barbados go out of their way to be friendly. the people at the Crane were the best of any resort, Paul the owner should be proud. the pools, the rooms, the beach, the grounds are fabulous.
I had a accident, and the beach staff, and resort manger went over and beyond to help me. If your thinking of investing in vacation weeks at the crane make sure you ask for tristan, no pressure, informative, smart, and as all the crane people she will go way out of her way to please you. The food, we went to all the restaurants, all tops better then off resort restaurants. Felt like we were in a quaint village,where every one was like family. cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: studios do not face ocean, first floor has plunge pools, end units have soaking pools. all facing oc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear blair l,

Thank you for this rave review. It was a pleasure to welcome you and we are thrilled to have now topped your list of favourites! I assure you that it was absolutely no trouble at all to assist you following your accident.

I also passed on your comments to Tristan, who was delighted by your special mention. She certainly is a shining example of the typical Crane employee – warm, knowledgeable and helpful.

We all hope you are doing well and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wakefield, West Yorks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Came here on a work paid reward trip with 20 colleagues. Beautiful resort, outstanding beach, innovative pools and my suite with a plunge pool was excellent. The staff are extremely friendly and professional, we were looked after very well indeed.

All meals we had in the restaurant were great, and the choir singing at breakfast on the Sunday was a lovely touch.

Only drawback is that the location is quite a drive from many of the restaurants and clubs we were booked into, but for pure relaxation and luxury it cannot be beaten.

I am convinced I will return, next time with my wife and family!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Buster2004,

Thank you for this wonderful review. I could not have said it any better – for pure luxury and relaxation, The Crane simply can not be beaten! We are thrilled you were able to mix business with pleasure.

Many of our guests find that the allure of The Crane lies in its removed location on the island’s South East coast. They are even more thrilled when they discover that popular night spots such as Oistins and St. Lawrence Gap are only 10 and 15 minutes away respectively.

We look forward to welcoming back you and your family some day soon.

Smyrna, Georgia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The hotel grounds, restaurants, shops, beach, rooms etc... are nice! However, the service and attention to detail has some significant room for improvement. The location is a bit inconvenient if you plan to travel in/near Bridgetown often - as it's a nearly 30 min drive from the resort w/ traffic in the morning/afternoons. The rooms were nicely laid out and appealing to the eye, however, our room had a couple minor housekeeping/cleaning items issues and the A/C in our suite didn't cool the room enough - and it there was a slow response and a lot of confusion amongst the maintenance staff regarding addressing the issue (although we were eventually compensated with a resort credit for the inconvenience). The food at the poolside restaurant was good, offering grilled chicken & fish, but the Italian restaurant left a lot to be desired. We didn't visit the Japanese/Thai restaurant and the L'Azure restaurant breakfast buffet was average - as there wasn't a great variety of options compared to other hotels we've stayed at in Barbados.The scenery here is great though and the beach is semi-private. I'd recommend staying here for those looking for a more secluded resort experience in Barbados as this resort isn't near a lot of the nightlife, shopping and restaurant options that the West Coast and Bridgetown-area resorts offer.

Room Tip: Ask for/pay for the upgrade to the 28ft infinity edge oceanfront pool! You won't be sorry....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Harg82,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. It definitely sounds as though you enjoyed many of The Crane’s amenities and services.

Perhaps the most alluring aspect of The Crane is its removed location on the island’s South East coast which allows our guests to experience the ultimate in relaxation. Our more adventurous guests are always delighted to discover that exciting night spots such as Oistins and St. Lawrence Gap are only 10 and 15 minutes away respectively.

Despite the minor inconveniences you experienced, we are glad you had an enjoyable time with us overall and hope to welcome you back soon.

Bidford-on-Avon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was so excited to be staying here and was looking forward to checking into our Deluxe Penthouse with Pool. My Husband arrived earlier than my son and myself and checked in so when we got there we went straight to the room and I was so disappointed.
Our room was at the end of the block and out of the majority of the window all we saw was a building site! I went onto the balcony to go up the stairs to the top deck and there was a strip of algea where the rain water had been running from the stairs. We did have a sea view from the top. I could'nt face seeing the building site for the duration of my stay so we asked to change room.
It took a while but we did get a new room it didn't have a sea view, but at least I wasn't seeing the building work! However the washing machine and dryer were not connected in the room so reception said they would launder our washing free - thank you. But the room was dirty. Upstairs the pool wasn't clean, there were beer bottle tops on the terrace floor, deflated balloons and streamers, plastic cutlery on the roof of the room below. We did phone reception someone came and put the filter in the pool on and cleaned the bottle tops away but the balloons and streamers and things were left.
My husband went to see the manager the next morning - he saw the guest relations manager who sat texting on his phone when my husband was talking to him! He didn't appear to care.
I made a major mistake when booking this hotel - normally I wouldn't pay up front, we did then - you have no come back. This is not a hotel it is a time share property on a lovely beach.
Having said that the swimming pool area is nice but the hotel wasn't any where near full so not sure if it was full how good it would be. The service at the pool wasn't good infact one day the waitress took our order and then disappeared we didn't see her again, we went to the bar and no one knew where she had gone!
The penthouse is a good size and the bed was comfy, though our room was over looking the staff car park and there appeared to be a party! the first night that went on well in to the early hours of the morning keeping us awake - again the management didn't care! No apology when my husband mentioned it, said he'd look in to it but we heard no more.
The restaurants were good quality and not as expensive as I thought they might be. I really enjoyed the L'Azure. The food at Zen was very tasty but I couldn't get over the waitress calling me 'Baby' constantly. D’Onofrio’s Trattoria had nice pizzas but a few items we wanted were not available.
There is an onsite shop but it seems to be the place for hotel workers to go and chat each other up!

Customer Service is none existent at this hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel - No!
Would I stay here again - NO!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear delacourt,

Please allow me to sincerely apologise for what was a gross departure from our established standards. I assure you that a thorough investigation has been undertaken into each of the incidents described and stringent measures have been put in place to ensure nothing of the sort occurs again in future.

While we understand your reluctance to recommend or return to The Crane in light of your unfortunate experiences with us, we do hope that you will return to our beautiful island to experience more of what it has to offer.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited this property back when the pools were almost complete but not completely done. it only had one restaurant at the time and (very scary) wooden stairs led you down to the beach front. This was back in January 2007. We still enjoyed the property then so we could only imagine would the finished product would be in Sept 2013.

We were invited to join a few friends to the property for a birthday and vacation. Our friend chose this property based upon our recommendation and rave reviews. We were set up for 7 full days to take in ALL it had to offer that was experienced before and things new!

THE AVERAGE/BAD: We went during low-season. This is the islands so we were able to have the property without a lot of consumers taking up the services and crowded pools/beaches. This was a good thing, but as well the service lacked spunk. The bars closed early when we arrived and a lot of the attendants werent to be found. House-keeping was average - not bad. The garden view room A/C unit was extremely loud, but if you like white-noise (like we do) it wasnt so bad. The bed was so-so on the comfort level. The tub/jacuzzi is NOT self-cleaning. it needs to be cleaned. Hot water is best in the early morning as afternoon/late-evening "hot" water was warm even when running all hot water... but it's the caribbean so who really needs "hot" water. again, not a "bad" thing but something you should expect and remember, we went during the low season.

THE GOOD: Because it wasnt at full capacity, you get to really talk to the locals and natives who work there. they're SUPER nice and willing to accommodate you to no end if they can. The pools are awesomely designed and fantastic lighting! the beach is great, a fantastic pink touch, soft, and plenty of chairs (be careful because the water can be tricky). the natural sounds of the ocean crashing against the cliff, the breeze, and the sounds of nature ("frogs serenading") are super relaxing! it's short walks to the restaurants. and cab rides are very quick to the airport so minimal time is needed to get there at check-out. You could have a super model photo shoot on this property around the pool area. I will say the rooms need some upkeep/upgrades, but overall it's a great property. There's free international calling and the free wifi even reaches the beach!

OVERALL - I say if you get to this property between the low and high season, you'll get the best this property has to offer. The Crane definitely feeds off it's customers energy and vibe. what you give to it is what the property and its people give back to you. i will say this is a better property if management can give it's employees some energy and vigor even during its low season. There's so much more this property can do, yet it's still a class-act!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear tonyshelton,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we are thrilled you chose to stay with us yet again. During our low season, I am sure that you would appreciate that it makes good business sense to scale back operations, however, please be assured that this in no way impairs our service delivery capabilities.

We apologise for the minor inconvenience you experienced during stay. But I am very pleased that these did not diminish your overall enjoyment of the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back – the 3rd time is a charm!

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Must try cheesecake from village cafe, best i have ever had!!!!! overall excellent stay. Great views. Great beach. Great food. Great staff. Extra Large luxurious rooms. No complaints. Tips ... There really are no bad rooms. If you don't have an ocean view you look into gardens with coy ponds and cute bridges and beautiful landscaping. The staff are well trained and I loved the rum punch reception. If you want Sunday brunch book far in advance, only regret of the trip is I thought I cld just show up and get brunch w/o reservation. Food is that good that its booked solid for weeks in advance I'm told.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear smc08,

It sounds like you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us and we could not agree with you more – “there really are no bad rooms” at The Crane!

We were sorry to learn that you did not have the opportunity to experience L’Azure’s Gospel Breakfast. We always encourage our guests to make their reservations early in order to avoid disappointment as this experience is popular with both visitors and locals alike.

Thank you for this rave review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Operations Manager

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!