“Above average option on the South Coast of Barbados” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Splish, Splash...Bonus!
Smyrna, Georgia, USA
“Above average option on the South Coast of Barbados”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The hotel grounds, restaurants, shops, beach, rooms etc... are nice! However, the service and attention to detail has some significant room for improvement. The location is a bit inconvenient if you plan to travel in/near Bridgetown often - as it's a nearly 30 min drive from the resort w/ traffic in the morning/afternoons. The rooms were nicely laid out and appealing to the eye, however, our room had a couple minor housekeeping/cleaning items issues and the A/C in our suite didn't cool the room enough - and it there was a slow response and a lot of confusion amongst the maintenance staff regarding addressing the issue (although we were eventually compensated with a resort credit for the inconvenience). The food at the poolside restaurant was good, offering grilled chicken & fish, but the Italian restaurant left a lot to be desired. We didn't visit the Japanese/Thai restaurant and the L'Azure restaurant breakfast buffet was average - as there wasn't a great variety of options compared to other hotels we've stayed at in Barbados.The scenery here is great though and the beach is semi-private. I'd recommend staying here for those looking for a more secluded resort experience in Barbados as this resort isn't near a lot of the nightlife, shopping and restaurant options that the West Coast and Bridgetown-area resorts offer.

Room Tip: Ask for/pay for the upgrade to the 28ft infinity edge oceanfront pool! You won't be sorry....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
CraneOM, Operations Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Harg82,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. It definitely sounds as though you enjoyed many of The Crane’s amenities and services.

Perhaps the most alluring aspect of The Crane is its removed location on the island’s South East coast which allows our guests to experience the ultimate in relaxation. Our more adventurous guests are always delighted to discover that exciting night spots such as Oistins and St. Lawrence Gap are only 10 and 15 minutes away respectively.

Despite the minor inconveniences you experienced, we are glad you had an enjoyable time with us overall and hope to welcome you back soon.

1,469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Bidford-on-Avon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was so excited to be staying here and was looking forward to checking into our Deluxe Penthouse with Pool. My Husband arrived earlier than my son and myself and checked in so when we got there we went straight to the room and I was so disappointed.
Our room was at the end of the block and out of the majority of the window all we saw was a building site! I went onto the balcony to go up the stairs to the top deck and there was a strip of algea where the rain water had been running from the stairs. We did have a sea view from the top. I could'nt face seeing the building site for the duration of my stay so we asked to change room.
It took a while but we did get a new room it didn't have a sea view, but at least I wasn't seeing the building work! However the washing machine and dryer were not connected in the room so reception said they would launder our washing free - thank you. But the room was dirty. Upstairs the pool wasn't clean, there were beer bottle tops on the terrace floor, deflated balloons and streamers, plastic cutlery on the roof of the room below. We did phone reception someone came and put the filter in the pool on and cleaned the bottle tops away but the balloons and streamers and things were left.
My husband went to see the manager the next morning - he saw the guest relations manager who sat texting on his phone when my husband was talking to him! He didn't appear to care.
I made a major mistake when booking this hotel - normally I wouldn't pay up front, we did then - you have no come back. This is not a hotel it is a time share property on a lovely beach.
Having said that the swimming pool area is nice but the hotel wasn't any where near full so not sure if it was full how good it would be. The service at the pool wasn't good infact one day the waitress took our order and then disappeared we didn't see her again, we went to the bar and no one knew where she had gone!
The penthouse is a good size and the bed was comfy, though our room was over looking the staff car park and there appeared to be a party! the first night that went on well in to the early hours of the morning keeping us awake - again the management didn't care! No apology when my husband mentioned it, said he'd look in to it but we heard no more.
The restaurants were good quality and not as expensive as I thought they might be. I really enjoyed the L'Azure. The food at Zen was very tasty but I couldn't get over the waitress calling me 'Baby' constantly. D’Onofrio’s Trattoria had nice pizzas but a few items we wanted were not available.
There is an onsite shop but it seems to be the place for hotel workers to go and chat each other up!

Customer Service is none existent at this hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel - No!
Would I stay here again - NO!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear delacourt,

Please allow me to sincerely apologise for what was a gross departure from our established standards. I assure you that a thorough investigation has been undertaken into each of the incidents described and stringent measures have been put in place to ensure nothing of the sort occurs again in future.

While we understand your reluctance to recommend or return to The Crane in light of your unfortunate experiences with us, we do hope that you will return to our beautiful island to experience more of what it has to offer.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited this property back when the pools were almost complete but not completely done. it only had one restaurant at the time and (very scary) wooden stairs led you down to the beach front. This was back in January 2007. We still enjoyed the property then so we could only imagine would the finished product would be in Sept 2013.

We were invited to join a few friends to the property for a birthday and vacation. Our friend chose this property based upon our recommendation and rave reviews. We were set up for 7 full days to take in ALL it had to offer that was experienced before and things new!

THE AVERAGE/BAD: We went during low-season. This is the islands so we were able to have the property without a lot of consumers taking up the services and crowded pools/beaches. This was a good thing, but as well the service lacked spunk. The bars closed early when we arrived and a lot of the attendants werent to be found. House-keeping was average - not bad. The garden view room A/C unit was extremely loud, but if you like white-noise (like we do) it wasnt so bad. The bed was so-so on the comfort level. The tub/jacuzzi is NOT self-cleaning. it needs to be cleaned. Hot water is best in the early morning as afternoon/late-evening "hot" water was warm even when running all hot water... but it's the caribbean so who really needs "hot" water. again, not a "bad" thing but something you should expect and remember, we went during the low season.

THE GOOD: Because it wasnt at full capacity, you get to really talk to the locals and natives who work there. they're SUPER nice and willing to accommodate you to no end if they can. The pools are awesomely designed and fantastic lighting! the beach is great, a fantastic pink touch, soft, and plenty of chairs (be careful because the water can be tricky). the natural sounds of the ocean crashing against the cliff, the breeze, and the sounds of nature ("frogs serenading") are super relaxing! it's short walks to the restaurants. and cab rides are very quick to the airport so minimal time is needed to get there at check-out. You could have a super model photo shoot on this property around the pool area. I will say the rooms need some upkeep/upgrades, but overall it's a great property. There's free international calling and the free wifi even reaches the beach!

OVERALL - I say if you get to this property between the low and high season, you'll get the best this property has to offer. The Crane definitely feeds off it's customers energy and vibe. what you give to it is what the property and its people give back to you. i will say this is a better property if management can give it's employees some energy and vigor even during its low season. There's so much more this property can do, yet it's still a class-act!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear tonyshelton,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we are thrilled you chose to stay with us yet again. During our low season, I am sure that you would appreciate that it makes good business sense to scale back operations, however, please be assured that this in no way impairs our service delivery capabilities.

We apologise for the minor inconvenience you experienced during stay. But I am very pleased that these did not diminish your overall enjoyment of the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back – the 3rd time is a charm!

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Must try cheesecake from village cafe, best i have ever had!!!!! overall excellent stay. Great views. Great beach. Great food. Great staff. Extra Large luxurious rooms. No complaints. Tips ... There really are no bad rooms. If you don't have an ocean view you look into gardens with coy ponds and cute bridges and beautiful landscaping. The staff are well trained and I loved the rum punch reception. If you want Sunday brunch book far in advance, only regret of the trip is I thought I cld just show up and get brunch w/o reservation. Food is that good that its booked solid for weeks in advance I'm told.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear smc08,

It sounds like you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us and we could not agree with you more – “there really are no bad rooms” at The Crane!

We were sorry to learn that you did not have the opportunity to experience L’Azure’s Gospel Breakfast. We always encourage our guests to make their reservations early in order to avoid disappointment as this experience is popular with both visitors and locals alike.

Thank you for this rave review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We experienced the luxury of The Crane resort in June 2012 and it's been on my top ten list ever since. I loved how peaceful it was there with no roaring disco or rowdy club to interrupt the evening. A beautiful lounge bar with a piano and singer was all that was needed to end the day. Beach was lovely and workers were there every morning to rake up the seaweed the surf rolled in. The "beach boys" were friendly and polite and when I said "no thank you they left me alone. It was a perfect 2 week relax and read vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneOM, Operations Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear LauraLeB,

We were thrilled to learn that The Crane has made the list of your “top 10” best resort experiences. It sounds like The Crane may have been designed with you in mind – our quiet ambiance is perfect for those who desire quiet “relax and read” vacations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more.

Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Crane is a fantastic resort. I am a Barbadian and since my first stay here in 2005, I have returned every year for a "staycation" it is GREAT! The service is EXCELLENT. The ambiance is GREAT, the food is GREAT, the view is FANTASTIC and the property is gorgeous. I always base my judgement of service not just on how great everyone is when things are going good but how they respond if and when things are not going so good and I can tell you that even if there is a problem or issue the staff is very accommodating and bend over backwards to make sure that your stay with them is great! Love it Love it Love it and would recommend it to any and everyone - Visitors and Locals alike! No more time to write I am here at the Crane now and about to hit the beach so you know I must really be happy and satisfied to take time WHILE I AM HERE to write this review! This is for all of you who make my stay here a pleasure - CHERYL and all the other front desk staff as well as DAMIAN in housekeeping, The SECURITY Team and all the other staff members of the Crane, keep up the good work guys!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sonia M,

We definitely appreciate you taking time during your stay to post this rave review. We always extend a warm “Crane welcome” to our fellow Barbadians and it has been our pleasure to host you over the years.

I passed on your comments to Cheryl, Damian and the gentlemen in Security, who were all excited to learn that they contributed to yet another fantastic “staycation.”

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here one night and it's beautiful. The historic element of the hotel being around since the 1800's was pretty cool. We stayed in one of the newer units with a/c which I would recommend. It was one bedroom oceanfront. The views are to die for. The room was very spacious was massive balcony/outside seating. The kitchen was a little older but still stocked with everything you would need and everything else was nice and fresh. The grounds are gorgeous just walking around, looking at the water, beach, pools and view. There is a little village with a couple restaurants, bar, ice cream shop, and some sopping for jewelry, gifts, groceries, and clothes. You really don't need to leave the property. We were fine utilizing everything there and not even leaving the resort for 2 days. We had lunch at the beautiful restaurant on the cliff overlooking the beach and it was great. The Thai place that night wasn't that great. Room service for breakfast was good. Staff is very nice and helpful. The 1880 bar was fun and the bartenders were very nice. Great spot for a romantic getaway or family vacation but more secluded and not an action spot if you're looking for night life right there. You're a cab ride away though.

Room Tip: I'm sure the historic part of the hotel is gorgeous but when I saw the no a/c and ocean breezes...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jen75206,

Thank you for this fantastic review – you have aptly captured almost everything that is alluring about The Crane. With a world-class array of amenities and services only steps away from your suite, why would anyone ever need to leave?

We look forward to welcoming you back soon – next time, for a longer stay.

Operations Manager

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!