We visited this property back when the pools were almost complete but not completely done. it only had one restaurant at the time and (very scary) wooden stairs led you down to the beach front. This was back in January 2007. We still enjoyed the property then so we could only imagine would the finished product would be in Sept 2013.
We were invited to join a few friends to the property for a birthday and vacation. Our friend chose this property based upon our recommendation and rave reviews. We were set up for 7 full days to take in ALL it had to offer that was experienced before and things new!
THE AVERAGE/BAD: We went during low-season. This is the islands so we were able to have the property without a lot of consumers taking up the services and crowded pools/beaches. This was a good thing, but as well the service lacked spunk. The bars closed early when we arrived and a lot of the attendants werent to be found. House-keeping was average - not bad. The garden view room A/C unit was extremely loud, but if you like white-noise (like we do) it wasnt so bad. The bed was so-so on the comfort level. The tub/jacuzzi is NOT self-cleaning. it needs to be cleaned. Hot water is best in the early morning as afternoon/late-evening "hot" water was warm even when running all hot water... but it's the caribbean so who really needs "hot" water. again, not a "bad" thing but something you should expect and remember, we went during the low season.
THE GOOD: Because it wasnt at full capacity, you get to really talk to the locals and natives who work there. they're SUPER nice and willing to accommodate you to no end if they can. The pools are awesomely designed and fantastic lighting! the beach is great, a fantastic pink touch, soft, and plenty of chairs (be careful because the water can be tricky). the natural sounds of the ocean crashing against the cliff, the breeze, and the sounds of nature ("frogs serenading") are super relaxing! it's short walks to the restaurants. and cab rides are very quick to the airport so minimal time is needed to get there at check-out. You could have a super model photo shoot on this property around the pool area. I will say the rooms need some upkeep/upgrades, but overall it's a great property. There's free international calling and the free wifi even reaches the beach!
OVERALL - I say if you get to this property between the low and high season, you'll get the best this property has to offer. The Crane definitely feeds off it's customers energy and vibe. what you give to it is what the property and its people give back to you. i will say this is a better property if management can give it's employees some energy and vigor even during its low season. There's so much more this property can do, yet it's still a class-act!
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- The Crane Residential Hotel
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Regatta Hotels, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.