My wife and I traveled to the Crane from 6/5 - 6/9 to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. I checked the TripAdvisor site frequently prior to our trip to get a feeling for what it would be like. I tried to break down the main resort details below.
Check-in: Was a breeze. We were greeted at our taxi by an associate from the hotel. He took our bags and escorted us into the lobby. He offered us a rum punch (um, YES!), which is a great way to get the vacation started. There was no wait at the front desk and the checked us in promptly. We arrived about 2.5 hours before check-in, yet our room was already ready.
Room: Someone from guest services escorted us to our room, providing details about Barbados and the Crane along the way. We were placed in Building 5 (which I requested). Quite simply, the room was phenomenal. 1 BR/2BA ocean view. You'd pay about double this price in a large US city, and without a view of the ocean.
THE SOUND: I'm not sure what combination of animals awaken at night here, if they are crickets or tree frogs, or what, but they are LOUD. I can't imagine what it would be like in a garden view room. By our last night, we couldn't take it anymore and had to shut the windows and turn on the AC.
General Store: The store has a nice selection of items. Is it more expensive than a store at home - yes. But you are paying for convenience and nothing so ridiculous I wouldn't expect to pay for on a vacation.
Beach - the sand of the beach is to die for. There is a reason that beach is consistently ranked in the top 25 for the best in the world. Very little sea debris and the chairs and umbrellas are usually being setup by 6:30am. We were only approached one time to buy a coconut our entire stay. The waves are fairly strong.
Food Allergies: My wife has food allergies and I must say we were pleasantly surprised at how well the Crane handled them. My wife was "red-flagged", meaning each time we went to a new restaurant, the servers were immediately aware. Servers at D'Onofrio's, L'Azure, and even the Carriage House were incredible, namely Dale and Shelly.
Restaurants: We did not try Zen due to the above mentioned food allergies, but D'Onofrio's and L'Azure were fantastic. I'd seen mixed reviews about D'Onofrio's, but we thought it was fantastic. We like our Italian food, and found everything we ordered to be quite tasty. We ordered a pizza to go one evening for our departure day, and even the next day it was fantastic!
Bar 1887 - great selection of outdoor seating to sit back and relax. There was a musician playing most weekday nights, which served as great background.
Guest Services - we had pre-booked a sunset catamaran cruise for our 15 year anniversary day. When we went to guest services the evening before, the mentioned the likelihood of it being cancelled was high because they only had 4 people. The only thing I would have liked would to have had more notice or even when we booked to say they often cancel since it is low season. Guest Services was very helpful in organizing the taxi's to go to Oistens for the Friday Fish Fry
On other side note, we had a blast at the Barbados Turf Club. If you are there when the horses are running, I would recommend it. Our taxi driver, Michael (26-251-7125) was fantastic! I would recommend getting a grandstand seat ($20 BDS) as the seating options arel imited otherwise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Regatta Hotels, Expedia, Tingo, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish