I have a hard time deciding between a 3 and 4, given that I had a great time in Barbados. However, I don't attribute my great time to the Crane Resort, but rather being on an island, relaxing, etc. Let me break it down for you:
The beach is probably the biggest reason we decided to stay here. However, I was COMPLETELY disappointed. The beach is not quiet nor relaxing. There are local men walking up to you constantly asking you to buy drinks from them. These men are not affiliated with the hotel, and they serve the drinks in coconuts which they take back from you after you're done and REUSE for other people. There are NO waiters from the hotel on the beach. I swear I read that there was supposed to be, but we sat at the beach for a good 2 hours on 4 different days and there were no waiters.
To top this off, when my boyfriend got up and went to the hotel beach bar, a local sitting at the hotel beach bar asked him if he "liked to party" and told him he was "the pharmaceutical man" and could get whatever he wanted.
Additionally, one day when we were going to the beach, there was a policeman and a soldier holding a machine gun standing at the beach, right by the elevator. I was pretty alarmed by this so we immediately turned back to the hotel. We went to the hotel front desk to ask what happened, and the 4 girls that were standing there said they had no idea why the cop and soldier were there. One even giggled at me when we were asking them. They did not seem to care at all.
So, between the locals peddling to get us to buy nasty germ-filled drinks, locals trying to sell us drugs, and random policemen and soldiers holding machine guns, I would recommend opting for the pools!!
2) Glass Elevator to the Beach
Great concept if it worked. We tried the elevator on 5 different days and it never worked. We also had a view of the elevator from our balcony, and we saw people constantly having to take the stairs because the elevator NEVER worked for 5 straight days. For us it wasn't a big deal, but for elderly people or for people with young children, this is a huge problem.
There is staff EVERYWHERE. There is way more staff then guests. You would think this would mean there is great service, right? Wrong. The staff just congregates together, and then when you go up to, say, pay for something, it's as if you are interrupting their social gathering. One day we went to the pool bar to watch a soccer game, and when we walked in there was about 15 staff members in the bar, and no guests. One staff member asked us what we were doing there, were we football fans? As if we were crashing their party.
The restaurants are way over-priced. There are no regular restaurants, like sandwich shops, etc., so you are forced to eat at sit down restaurants and be subject to poor service. There is a mandatory 10% service charge added to all these bills, and I can see why. If it wasn't mandatory, who would tip on this service??
(TIP: Go to "Cutters of Barbados." It is right across the street, walking distance. Great, reasonable priced sandwiches!)
Let's be honest, the resort is super pretty. (I think this inflates the reviews on here, because it's such a beautiful location that no one notices that they are getting ripped off on food and bad service.) I have no complaints here. The pools were awesome and EMPTY, which was great. We had a private pool every day! The plants and everything are cool too. There are also tennis courts which are in pretty nice shape.
Our room was AWESOME. One BR ocean view, we had 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, W/D. It was really, really nice. TIP: There is no iPod dock.
Overall, I would not recommend this for people with children, as the beach is obviously sketchy. If you prefer to stay at pools rather than a beach, and if you are okay with the resort not being near anything else, then I'd say that this is a nice place to stay. Just bring a lot of extra cash for food, and be prepared to wait....
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- The Crane Residential Hotel
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Regatta Hotels, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.