Just returned from The Crane where we stayed for 8 nights. Would highly recommend this hotel as location, service and food are all excellent. Wonderful views over the ocean from L'Azure Restaurant each morning with lovely breezes wafting through. We stayed in Building 5 to start with and had a garden view and an ocean view being on the corner, which was just amazing. However the bay window flooded every time it rained and we were stepping into puddles when we got out of bed. This was reported 3 times and they moved us after 2 nights to one of the owners suites in the Residences. Whilst this was considered an upgrade as it had its own pool and jacuzzi, the jacuzzi did not work and we were completely enclosed in by the garden wall. Nice for privacy but then you get eaten alive by the mosquito's (suffered 40 bites despite using DEET day and night) so the pool became useless to us as we could not go in the garden. I would have preferred another room of the same standard, junior suite in any of the other buildings. Plus the incessant noise contained within the garden area as we were surrounded on 3 sides by garden with an infinite number of Whistling Frogs going all night, we hardly ever slept.
All that said, we had a wonderful time, the hotel and grounds are superb with lots of places where you can be and have privacy. Pools are great also. Staff are all friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble wherever you were on site and this is always a good sign. Beach is wonderful but the lift was out of order down to the beach for 3 days and there was something like 60 steps to negotiate - fine if you are 20 something but not if you are over 60!! But it did not stop us going up and down.
Food was just fantastic in both L'Azure and D'Onofrios. Only crib I have with the Zen was that the half board meal plan was not available in there and was chargeable. The L'Azure had items on the menu that were additional, ie. Fillet Mignon or Lobster which would be expected so why could the Zen restaurant not apply the same principle? The restaurants are very expensive but as we were half board this time, I would recommend anyone planning to stay go with the half board option as you will find that you probably saved quite a good some of money as the food is superb, always presented beautifully, cooked to perfection and served with a smile, and you can eat Crab, Fillet or Lobster every night if you wish.
I am sure you will have a great time at The Crane, it is as good as all the other reviews say and more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Regatta Hotels, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Priceline, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish