I've just spent a week at the Crane Resort with my mother (80) and aunt (62). I was looking for a place where I could take these two wonderful women; a safe, stress-free, guaranteed good-weather place, a place to decompress after what had been an emotionally stressful year.
I was directed to the Crane by a trusted source, and I wasn't disappointed.
Our first night was in a simple one bedroom suite in the Park residences. The suite was beautiful, but our move on the second night to a one-bedroom, ocean-view with plunge pool was a very, very good move. (#515)
I cannot stress this highly enough. I wouldn't go back to the Crane if it was just to one of the Park residences. They were "fine", but ... it was utterly fantastic to be able to walk straight into our unit (without having to use an elevator) and enjoy the sound of the surf crashing below us, and dips throughout the day into our private pool, with an unimpeded view of the Atlantic ocean.
N.B. The next time I go - and I WILL go again - I wouldn't book a transfer through Expedia, I would just walk right out of the airport and hail a cab. Faster, and cheaper. You can trust the cabs.
The General Store in the "the village" was fine for wine, bread, peanut butter, orange juice, milk, etc. - i.e. "essentials" - that sustained us through the morning and lunch meals. We loved having our own kitchen, and our white wine conversations on the patio at cocktail hour. I know that other guests use a grocery store off-site (an easy $20 cab ride if you negotiate with a driver who will drive you there and wait while you shop and then bring you home), but I was happy to pay the "premium" at the village store, and not have to worry about ferrying around aging passengers. They have a good assortment of crackers and cheese, and will order meat if you want to do more engaged cooking.
I thought the food at the restaurants - especially D'Onofrio's - was fantastic, and the staff were wonderful. Very accommodating, very patient, and knowledgeable. I'm a foodie - and the meals there were wonderful, especially their thin-crust pizzas and the arugula salad.
The beach is spectacular. REALLY spectacular. Clean. Stress-free. The beach chairs are comfortable, and there is shade under every umbrella. Talk to the staff, secure a beach chair, and lie back and enjoy an unparallelled view.
Our suite was beautiful. SO much storage room. Marble counter tops. Beautiful showers. Comfortable beds. Great linens. And our view from the "oceanview suite" was unparallelled.
My previous "hot-weather" trips have been to Bonaire, Mexico, Belize, Nicaragua, Argentina, etc. Because my "aging coterie" was so happy in our suite at the Crane, we didn't explore any of the many options available (aside from my one day off, snorkeling), so I'm embarrassed to say that we didn't "learn" anything about this fascinating country. However, my experience with my mother and aunt was unabashedly wonderful.
We will return. And I can hardly wait.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- The Crane Residential Hotel
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.