My husband and I spent 10 days over the Christmas holiday at this property. The beach is absolutely gorgeous - the staff amazingly accomodating - the property itself very nice, but definitely in need of an upgrade. The rooms/suites were very large, but the kitchen was not equipped as well as advertised. This might prove a challenge for anyone really planning to cook and eat in for most of their stay. The restaurants/room service are very pricey and I would not rate the food served much above a C. When you place a room service order for two eggs over easy, you get just that, two lonely cold eggs on a large plate. I rarely complain, but I do feel that The Crane has some work to do in the areas involving food - both what is available to order at the resort and what is offered up as a "fully equipped kitchen" in the rentals.
The resort is on a beautiful bluff overlooking the ocean. The beach is accessable by elevator or stairs. The beach is just breathtaking. So beautiful. Our stay overlapped the very busy holiday season and we did notice that once the resort filled up so did everything else - including the beach and pool (as one would expect). I would say the beach was the most crowded.....but so beautiful - you hardly notice that you are surrounded by so many others. The pool is very large and has nice shaded areas and places for family to gather.
We rented a car for a couple of days to explore and purchase groceries. You really would not need a car and we probably would not rent one again if we returned.
The property has a small grocery store and a small ice cream/sweet shop. There are three restaurants - all which require reservations - and a bar. There is also a bar/restaurant overlooking the pool and ocean - this was our favorite place to eat while visiting....but as I said....food was not our favorite part of this visit.
All in all, the best part of our stay at The Crane was the view, the beach and the staff.
One last piece of advice - not all of the buildings have the same view - especially on the first floor (suites with large attached pool) and some of the suites are time shares or rentals. We arrived late (midnight) our first night and were asked to change rooms the next day because the suite we had settled into was rented to someone else by "the owner". This actually worked out well for us as the building had no working air conditioning. You definitely need air conditioning in Barbados in December! Our second suite did have working air conditioning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Regatta Hotels, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Splendia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline, Jetsetter, Otel, Agoda and Venere so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish