“Anniversary Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Summer is Here!
SI NY
“Anniversary Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was our second trip to The Crane. We went in November 2012 for our 25th anniversary. Ee wanted to go to a special place. The Crane is a very special place. We love it there. We had a beautiful ocean front room. Thank you Mr. Korey Boyce for the upgrade, very grateful for that.

The grounds and views of the ocean are outstanding. Having breakfast at L'Azure while looking at the beautiful beach is breathtaking. As for the beach itself, it is outstanding. Beautiful pink sand and plenty of chairs with umbrellas. We were unable to go int o the ocean though. It was way to rough for us. Very few people actually went in. If you want a calm beach, go to Accra or Miami Beach, both wonderful.

We enjoyed all the restaurants, L'Azure and Zen our our favorites and both with gorgeous views of the beach.

The pool was great. As full as the resort was, you could always find a quiet place. I do agree with a prior post about the "towel cards". One towel per person and only if you have a card is a little silly for a 5 star resort in my opinion. We like one towel for the chair and one to dry off with, not possible with this system.

We found the staff to be extremely friendly, both times we were there in fact. Day or night if you walked past a staff member they would always have a smile and say hello. Housekeeping did a wonderful job everyday.

We are planning our next trip there as we speak.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear SITravellerSiNy,

Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary! It was Korey’s pleasure to do anything he could to ensure that you and your wife enjoyed such a momentous occasion with us. It definitely sounds like you had an enjoyable time overall.

On the days when the red flag is flying, we definitely advise swimmers to avoid the waves. However, Crane Beach is actually the safest swimming venue on the Atlantic side of the island. With a natural encircling coral reef that breaks the waves as well as a daily lifeguard presence, Crane Beach makes for an invigorating but safe swimming experience.

We implemented the towel card system as a control measure. However, we do appreciate your feedback and will be reviewing the system.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Michael Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at The Crane in Building 5. Although the unit was a bit older, it was very well maintained and extremely spacious for a studio. The bed was very comfortable, the veranda was lovely, and the bathroom huge! We didn't see one bug, but did have a small finch visit us everyday from the garden. The grounds are beautiful and the singing of tree frogs was a refreshing reminder that we were in the tropics. Although the pools were a bit murky they were a welcome relief from the hot sun. We found the beach to be gorgeous to look at but too rough to go in. We had a car which was perfect, because we got to see a lot of the island and went into Oistins for fish almost every evening. Such a wonderful island and a memorable vacation at The Crane. We would most definitely visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear trini152,

Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your Junior Garden View suite, which features many of the amenities of our larger suites but in a more intimate setting – perfect for couples!

We do apologise if our pools’ appearances were anything less than crystal clear. Please be assured that in addition to a daily cleaning rotation, our pools are subject to regularly scheduled deep cleanses. You’ll also be pleased to learn that Crane Beach is not only beautiful but is also the safest swimming venue on this side of the island. With a natural encircling coral reef that breaks the waves and a daily lifeguard presence, Crane Beach makes for a safe and exhilarating swimming experience.

Again, thank you for posting this review. We hope to welcome you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Whilst there is a touch of faulty towers about the restaurant lazure it's a super place to relax and unwind. Julie is a true gem, straight talking and incredibly helpful. If they upped their game on the service front they could be up there with the west coast hotels, although for the time being there is still quite a gap, no pun intended. The staff are really friendly, but the GM needs to focus on service levels.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PatG657,

I appreciate your vote of confidence and I wish to assure you that my entire Management team remains committed to improving and maintaining the service levels throughout the resort.

Julie was thrilled by your special mention! She is indeed a gem with her warm and affable personality that has won the hearts of many guests over the years.

We hope to welcome you back soon to enjoy even more of what The Crane and Barbados has to offer.

Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon during the week of Oct 21-28. WOW WOW WOW. I have been to many resorts and this tops my list!! The staff were over the top friendly both in the hotel and the restaurants!! The ladies at the activities desk made our trip over the top exciting. They set up scuba diving at Rogers Scuba Shack, Zip line and 4x4 tours, a night at Oystens (local dive) and a unforgettable tour with turtle swimming!!!

I will say that the spa ladies can at least fake a smile!! After the computer just "dropped" our booked spot early in the week, we had to re-book later in the week, which meant wearing tons more sunscreen all week to prohibit sunburn. My new wife and I were not happy- HOWEVER- the lady at the activities desk looked out for our interest. She rectified the situation, while acknowledging the issue, apologized and earned back our respect. Can’t say much for the spa personal!!! They discounted the massage and we left with a smile!! Nice recovery (Thanks to the tall, thin activities clerk- sorry I forgot your name) . The room was in great condition and the plunge pool cleaned 3 times during our visit!! We will be back with friends the next time we are on the island!! I am now a rum punch fan!!
Nice job!!

Room Tip: Stay in the garden on the top level. Cheaper and you can see the ocean from the top deck!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear PeachesPJD,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! It sounds like you had an enviable time overall with us at The Crane and we are thrilled to have made the top of your list.

We do apologise for your initially disappointing spa experience. I assure you that this is not a regular occurrence as our Spa ladies are usually quite friendly and accommodating. However, I’m thrilled Karimah was able to recover the experience for you and she was thrilled by your special mention!

Thank you for taking the time to post this great review. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to The Crane soon!

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We arrived at the Crane on Christmas Day and were immediately greeted by friendly staff and equally friendly complimentary rum punches. Afterwards we were shown to our room: a gorgeous ocean view with two bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room and balcony that afforded a 180-degree view of the ocean. It was a stunning outlook; we spent long tracts of time that day and for the duration of our stay just gazing down at the turquoise waves that crashed against the rocks below. At night, the moon and stars lit up the sky and sea. The sight was breathtaking.

Scuba diving was my primary activity during my stay in Barbados, but Juanita at Guest Services helpfully booked me other activities that I could enjoy while I wasn't diving. And although I balked at her playful suggestion of ziplining, I did enjoy the island safari tour that took in stunning prospects of Bathsheba and Little Bay. Jefferson, my driver, provided excellent conversation and company as he drove me to and from Dive Barbados Blue each day. It was a genuine pleasure to meet those two, as well as the others at Guest Services.

Notable food mentions: the Thod Gratiem (jumbo prawns with hot pepper and chopped garlic) at Zen's was superb and the spicy seafood pasta at D'Onofrio's is a must to try if you dine there. Beverage-wise, the bartender at 1887 shook up some wonderfully refreshing drinks (and thank you for the complimentary rum punches on departure!).

The days and nights were full and passed by much too quickly. At the end of our stay, the New Year's Eve masquerade dinner and party provided us with many wonderful memories to start 2013.

The Crane is a beautiful and peaceful retreat, and I hope that my travels will take me back there one day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear tshadforth,

Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review! Your description of the view from your spacious suite has left very little for us to add! We couldn’t agree with you more – our suites enjoy ocean views that are beyond compare.

Juanita was delighted to learn that she contributed to your overall enjoyment of your Barbados stay. Her bubbly personality has made her the perfect addition to our Guest Services team.

We were especially thrilled to learn you enjoyed your dining experiences in our Zagat rated Zen and D’Onofrio’s. We would love to welcome you back to enjoy similar experiences in L’Azure and The Carriage House.

Don’t become strangers! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

North Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I and our 2 sons ages 9 and 11 have visited the Crane 3 times and are planning our 4th for March of this year. This resort is amazing - so beautiful and relaxing. Absolutely breathtaking. Pay no attention to any review that says this is an "awful hotel" - it is not to be believed. I will upload a few pictures from our trip. Maybe I could have found a dirty window if I looked for one (afterall there is some construction going on) - but the resort is breathtaking - why would I waste one minute lookng for a dirty window to photograph? Our experience has been that the resort employees are always friendly and attentive and the grounds are immacculate. The restaurants are very good and the prices are comparable to other restaurants on the island. We have tried them all and our experiences have ranged from good to excellent. The little market at the resort has very inexpensive fresh bake goods each day at a very reasonable price. The Restaurant at the top of the pool complex is also affordable and very good. We also LOVE to get food from a local restarant off grounds - the Crane Palms - great food for a very reasonable price. We have walked there to eat and we have had it delivered. I highly recommend it!! The resort is isolated from the busier parts of the island but we love this about the resort. We come here to unwind, relax and enjoy one another. We spend our days between the beach - jumping in the waves, boogy boarding, swimmin in the pools, using the fitness center and relaxing in our large one bedroom suite whcih is very comfortable and absolutely gorgeous. The resort is very secure and safe and our boys love to show off a little independence and walk by themselves to get an ice cream or a soda and a snack, or shop in one of the gift shops on the resort grounds.

If you are looking for lively night life with a spring break feel this resort is not for you. If you are looking for a place to completely unwind, rest, relax and rejuvenate while enjoying one of the most gorgeous beaches / resorts in the world, this is the place for you!!

I suspect that those that give this resort less than 4 stars either did not do their homework and were expecting to be in the middle of the happy hours and nightlife or they are people who are difficult to impossible to please.

All I know is we can't wait to come back - I can almost taste the delicous welcome rum punch already!! See you soon!

Room Tip: Splurge for oceanfront rooms - you won't be dissappointed!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bgold67,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your personal fantastic Crane memories. It is these experiences that we strive every day to deliver to each and every guest.

The Crane may have been designed with you mind. We definitely appeal to a specific type of traveller – one who values architectural history, secluded splendour, world-class amenities, fine restaurants and attentive service all in one place!

Thank you also for pointing out something we rarely highlight but perhaps should: the safety and security on resort. It is common and safe for our younger Crane guests to wander around the grounds freely. Parents take great comfort in knowing that Crane staff (not just security) will be watching out for them.

It has been our pleasure to welcome you over the years and we look forward to welcoming your family again in March – rum punch awaits!

newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were booked into The Crane for a couple of nights following a sailing trip around the Caribbean by our travel agent who had recommended it as it was near the airport. We arrived from a LIAT flight at around 730pm and immediately the place didnt feel right , it was unusually quiet for such a big hotel however we checked in to a very large 2 bed suite with a plunge pool and dumped our bags and went to eat at the restaurant which was "ok" , afterwards the one bar available had really poor live music and there were small children sat on the bar stools. I asked if threre was an adult bar and they said no just this one ( Im not against children but at 10pm I prefer a bit of adult conversation rather than a mini disco !) . I went to bed. Well tried to go to bed but the room was full of mosquitos , we had to get a can of spray from reception and do the room before we slept it was so full of them , the reception were quite prepared for that as the resort does have a mosquito issue after rain - in fact they fumigate the whole hotel twice a week ! In the morning we woke and saw the state of the room in the morning light it was filthy , and all the light fittings and door locks etc appeared to be corroded and some very broken. The ceiling lights were tied up out of the way which suggested they wee live and there were water marks on the ceilings near fittings. Rat traps all over the place and the windows were so dirty you couldnt see outside at all.
We decided to check out after just one night and the response from the Manager was pitiful - he wouldnt refund our pre payment for the next night nor did he offer any compensation but asked that we pay our dinner bill and extras. I showed him our photos from the room and he asked me to email them to him ! I respectfully suggested he went up to the room and had a good look himself. The Crane does have a beautiful beach thats for sure but the hotel is tired , dirty and poorly maintained - needs a full closure and refurb.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear NewcastleFilmmaker,

It appears that your initial impression of The Crane was not at all what you expected. Unfortunately, this indicates miscommunication between you and your travel agent as The Crane prides itself on its quiet, relaxing and family-friendly atmosphere. Spread over 40 acres, it is easy to understand why the resort would feel quiet despite being at 90% occupancy during the time of your stay.

Your review certainly recounts an appalling experience and on behalf of my entire team, I would like to extend to you my sincerest apologies. However, I do wish that you had given us the opportunity to salvage your experience. Instead, one of our Guest Relations Managers was informed by a third party of your dissatisfaction with the property. When approached by this Manager, you indicated that you wished to be checked out as soon as it could be facilitated.

As your booking was made via an independent travel company, any refunds would be subject to a full investigation of the matter by the resort. Then, only if deemed warranted, a refund would be made to the travel company, which would in turn reimburse you. Due to your abrupt departure, no formal investigation could be carried out and neither was there an opportunity for an amicable solution to be reached.

Your reluctance to return to The Crane is quite understandable in light of your experience of checking into an unprepared room. But, I wish to assure you that we have taken a look at each your experiences and have implemented solutions to avoid repetition.

Michael Phillips

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!