“Will come back with friends!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Splish, Splash...Bonus!
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Will come back with friends!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon during the week of Oct 21-28. WOW WOW WOW. I have been to many resorts and this tops my list!! The staff were over the top friendly both in the hotel and the restaurants!! The ladies at the activities desk made our trip over the top exciting. They set up scuba diving at Rogers Scuba Shack, Zip line and 4x4 tours, a night at Oystens (local dive) and a unforgettable tour with turtle swimming!!!

I will say that the spa ladies can at least fake a smile!! After the computer just "dropped" our booked spot early in the week, we had to re-book later in the week, which meant wearing tons more sunscreen all week to prohibit sunburn. My new wife and I were not happy- HOWEVER- the lady at the activities desk looked out for our interest. She rectified the situation, while acknowledging the issue, apologized and earned back our respect. Can’t say much for the spa personal!!! They discounted the massage and we left with a smile!! Nice recovery (Thanks to the tall, thin activities clerk- sorry I forgot your name) . The room was in great condition and the plunge pool cleaned 3 times during our visit!! We will be back with friends the next time we are on the island!! I am now a rum punch fan!!
Nice job!!

Room Tip: Stay in the garden on the top level. Cheaper and you can see the ocean from the top deck!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear PeachesPJD,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! It sounds like you had an enviable time overall with us at The Crane and we are thrilled to have made the top of your list.

We do apologise for your initially disappointing spa experience. I assure you that this is not a regular occurrence as our Spa ladies are usually quite friendly and accommodating. However, I’m thrilled Karimah was able to recover the experience for you and she was thrilled by your special mention!

Thank you for taking the time to post this great review. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to The Crane soon!

1,458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We arrived at the Crane on Christmas Day and were immediately greeted by friendly staff and equally friendly complimentary rum punches. Afterwards we were shown to our room: a gorgeous ocean view with two bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room and balcony that afforded a 180-degree view of the ocean. It was a stunning outlook; we spent long tracts of time that day and for the duration of our stay just gazing down at the turquoise waves that crashed against the rocks below. At night, the moon and stars lit up the sky and sea. The sight was breathtaking.

Scuba diving was my primary activity during my stay in Barbados, but Juanita at Guest Services helpfully booked me other activities that I could enjoy while I wasn't diving. And although I balked at her playful suggestion of ziplining, I did enjoy the island safari tour that took in stunning prospects of Bathsheba and Little Bay. Jefferson, my driver, provided excellent conversation and company as he drove me to and from Dive Barbados Blue each day. It was a genuine pleasure to meet those two, as well as the others at Guest Services.

Notable food mentions: the Thod Gratiem (jumbo prawns with hot pepper and chopped garlic) at Zen's was superb and the spicy seafood pasta at D'Onofrio's is a must to try if you dine there. Beverage-wise, the bartender at 1887 shook up some wonderfully refreshing drinks (and thank you for the complimentary rum punches on departure!).

The days and nights were full and passed by much too quickly. At the end of our stay, the New Year's Eve masquerade dinner and party provided us with many wonderful memories to start 2013.

The Crane is a beautiful and peaceful retreat, and I hope that my travels will take me back there one day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear tshadforth,

Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review! Your description of the view from your spacious suite has left very little for us to add! We couldn’t agree with you more – our suites enjoy ocean views that are beyond compare.

Juanita was delighted to learn that she contributed to your overall enjoyment of your Barbados stay. Her bubbly personality has made her the perfect addition to our Guest Services team.

We were especially thrilled to learn you enjoyed your dining experiences in our Zagat rated Zen and D’Onofrio’s. We would love to welcome you back to enjoy similar experiences in L’Azure and The Carriage House.

Don’t become strangers! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

North Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I and our 2 sons ages 9 and 11 have visited the Crane 3 times and are planning our 4th for March of this year. This resort is amazing - so beautiful and relaxing. Absolutely breathtaking. Pay no attention to any review that says this is an "awful hotel" - it is not to be believed. I will upload a few pictures from our trip. Maybe I could have found a dirty window if I looked for one (afterall there is some construction going on) - but the resort is breathtaking - why would I waste one minute lookng for a dirty window to photograph? Our experience has been that the resort employees are always friendly and attentive and the grounds are immacculate. The restaurants are very good and the prices are comparable to other restaurants on the island. We have tried them all and our experiences have ranged from good to excellent. The little market at the resort has very inexpensive fresh bake goods each day at a very reasonable price. The Restaurant at the top of the pool complex is also affordable and very good. We also LOVE to get food from a local restarant off grounds - the Crane Palms - great food for a very reasonable price. We have walked there to eat and we have had it delivered. I highly recommend it!! The resort is isolated from the busier parts of the island but we love this about the resort. We come here to unwind, relax and enjoy one another. We spend our days between the beach - jumping in the waves, boogy boarding, swimmin in the pools, using the fitness center and relaxing in our large one bedroom suite whcih is very comfortable and absolutely gorgeous. The resort is very secure and safe and our boys love to show off a little independence and walk by themselves to get an ice cream or a soda and a snack, or shop in one of the gift shops on the resort grounds.

If you are looking for lively night life with a spring break feel this resort is not for you. If you are looking for a place to completely unwind, rest, relax and rejuvenate while enjoying one of the most gorgeous beaches / resorts in the world, this is the place for you!!

I suspect that those that give this resort less than 4 stars either did not do their homework and were expecting to be in the middle of the happy hours and nightlife or they are people who are difficult to impossible to please.

All I know is we can't wait to come back - I can almost taste the delicous welcome rum punch already!! See you soon!

Room Tip: Splurge for oceanfront rooms - you won't be dissappointed!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bgold67,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your personal fantastic Crane memories. It is these experiences that we strive every day to deliver to each and every guest.

The Crane may have been designed with you mind. We definitely appeal to a specific type of traveller – one who values architectural history, secluded splendour, world-class amenities, fine restaurants and attentive service all in one place!

Thank you also for pointing out something we rarely highlight but perhaps should: the safety and security on resort. It is common and safe for our younger Crane guests to wander around the grounds freely. Parents take great comfort in knowing that Crane staff (not just security) will be watching out for them.

It has been our pleasure to welcome you over the years and we look forward to welcoming your family again in March – rum punch awaits!

newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were booked into The Crane for a couple of nights following a sailing trip around the Caribbean by our travel agent who had recommended it as it was near the airport. We arrived from a LIAT flight at around 730pm and immediately the place didnt feel right , it was unusually quiet for such a big hotel however we checked in to a very large 2 bed suite with a plunge pool and dumped our bags and went to eat at the restaurant which was "ok" , afterwards the one bar available had really poor live music and there were small children sat on the bar stools. I asked if threre was an adult bar and they said no just this one ( Im not against children but at 10pm I prefer a bit of adult conversation rather than a mini disco !) . I went to bed. Well tried to go to bed but the room was full of mosquitos , we had to get a can of spray from reception and do the room before we slept it was so full of them , the reception were quite prepared for that as the resort does have a mosquito issue after rain - in fact they fumigate the whole hotel twice a week ! In the morning we woke and saw the state of the room in the morning light it was filthy , and all the light fittings and door locks etc appeared to be corroded and some very broken. The ceiling lights were tied up out of the way which suggested they wee live and there were water marks on the ceilings near fittings. Rat traps all over the place and the windows were so dirty you couldnt see outside at all.
We decided to check out after just one night and the response from the Manager was pitiful - he wouldnt refund our pre payment for the next night nor did he offer any compensation but asked that we pay our dinner bill and extras. I showed him our photos from the room and he asked me to email them to him ! I respectfully suggested he went up to the room and had a good look himself. The Crane does have a beautiful beach thats for sure but the hotel is tired , dirty and poorly maintained - needs a full closure and refurb.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear NewcastleFilmmaker,

It appears that your initial impression of The Crane was not at all what you expected. Unfortunately, this indicates miscommunication between you and your travel agent as The Crane prides itself on its quiet, relaxing and family-friendly atmosphere. Spread over 40 acres, it is easy to understand why the resort would feel quiet despite being at 90% occupancy during the time of your stay.

Your review certainly recounts an appalling experience and on behalf of my entire team, I would like to extend to you my sincerest apologies. However, I do wish that you had given us the opportunity to salvage your experience. Instead, one of our Guest Relations Managers was informed by a third party of your dissatisfaction with the property. When approached by this Manager, you indicated that you wished to be checked out as soon as it could be facilitated.

As your booking was made via an independent travel company, any refunds would be subject to a full investigation of the matter by the resort. Then, only if deemed warranted, a refund would be made to the travel company, which would in turn reimburse you. Due to your abrupt departure, no formal investigation could be carried out and neither was there an opportunity for an amicable solution to be reached.

Your reluctance to return to The Crane is quite understandable in light of your experience of checking into an unprepared room. But, I wish to assure you that we have taken a look at each your experiences and have implemented solutions to avoid repetition.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our ninth visit to The Crane and it did not disappoint. We were in a lovely plunge pool unit in Building 5, which we had not been in before. The views were spectacular. Sabrina and Diana, our housekeepers are simply the best. They each did their best to make us feel comfortable and welcome. I must say that I sleep better there than I do at home. We leave the doors to the terrace open and fall aslep to the sound of the ocean.

We ate at each of the restaurants during this stay. We always enjoy our meals at Zen and this was no exception. While the food at L'Azure has improved (I had a wonderful sea bass with lentils), the service is still slow and uninspired. At Donofrio's the risotto with smoked salmon was simply wonderful, the pizza just okay. Waiple is a very effecient hostess and Cloethe attended to our every need and made us feel at home (they should have her train some of the wait staff at L'Azure). The Carriage House for lunch was great. Erroll and Susan always make us feel welcome. If I could have one additional service, it would be to have consistent food and beverage service at the pools. You tend to get so lazy lying by the pools that getting up just seems like too much effort! I do realize that we were not there during high season and they will likely change this when I visit again in February. Each morning my husband would go to the front desk to get the local paper and stop at the pasty/ice cream shop to bring me a croissant. The shop is a great addition.

Stephen at the front desk was very helpful. The paperwork process for checkout is rather lengthy and he did his best to make it as quick as possible and did it with a smile. James, who used to be at the front desk, now has a new job and could not have been more helpful when I asked for something. He went out of his way to find me at the pool to give me the answer. Overall, all of the staff are friendly and helpful. It is rare that you will pass a staff member walking along one of the many paths, who will not say hello.

Can't wait to go again.

Dear NYSbeachgirl,

It has been our pleasure to welcome you home to The Crane over the years. Each member of staff mentioned was thrilled to learn that they played a role in creating yet another fantastic Crane experience for you. James in particular, has been always been an asset to The Crane and is excelling in his latest role as Guest Relations Manager.

We are also pleased that you had enjoyable restaurant experiences overall and we have taken note of the areas that can be improved. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We look forward to your 10th visit!

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I just read a few poor ratings for the Crane and can't believe that it is the same resort that my wife and I have been visiting for fifteen years. In general, people need to do more research before they book a resort. Yes, the Crane is isolated from the hustle and bustle, but that is its lure to many of us. As to the level of service, we cannot agree at all with the negative comments here. We have travelled throughout the Caribbean region for the same number of years and have found the Crane and Barbados itself to be far superior to many resorts and islands as far as the willingness to please guests is concerned. Having read some of these reviews, I have to wonder how familiar some of these reviewers are of the southeastern Caribbean region in general.

In all honesty, we were disappointed on this trip with the quality of L'Azure in comparsison to its prices, which have increased substantially over the years, and we found better value at Carriage House for lunch and Donofrio's for dinner. Guests should also know that the Emerald City supermarket is only a 10 minute drive as the Crane general store is somewhat limited and beyond our budget. Our overall experience at the Crane, which is so very unique in location and atmosphere, was very pleasurable, and we will certainly return this year.

Room Tip: The Marine Villa was built in 1887. If you can't accept that fact, book a place in a newer buil...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear simon349,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to shed some light on what we believe to be most appealing about The Crane – our picturesque location away from the “hustle and bustle” and the warm genuinely friendly service.

We also appreciate your feedback about L’Azure. You’ll be pleased to know that we are actually in the process of introducing some new items to the L’Azure dinner menus which should improve the value for money significantly while maintaining the high quality you would expect in a fine dining establishment.

It has been our great pleasure to welcome you to The Crane over the last 15 years. Here’s to 15 more!

Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Crane Barbados.

It was our first time staying in Barbados, and the Crane did not Disappoint. Grounds were immaculate,
Beach pink sugar Sand, very clean.. the beauty is that the hotel is on a cliff, and 50 feet below, by Glass Elevator is the Beach.

We ventured off to explore Barbados, and for the shoppers, a must visit is Lime Grove in Holetown, (Cartier, Ralph lauren, Luis Vuitton,
etc, are all here.. You can have lunch, watch a movie, a spectacular spot.

Dinner Recommendations:

For the Italian Lovers (home made pasta, pizza , etc:
Visit: Il Tempio -- (we actually visited this place, as there was a write up about how Luciano pavarotti enjoyed this place.
Believe me, this place does not disappoint. We met the owners Anna & leo, from Bari, Italy, and amazing people. they
will make anything you want, even if its not on the Menu.

Caribbean:

Cliff Restaraunt.
it is a beautiful restaraunt, perched on a cliff, the food, the ambiance, its a spot, not to be missed.

Contempary Modern italian

Cin Cin

Contempary,elegant waterside dining,west coast at its best. Very romantic.

Excursions:
shopping Tour of Bridgetown, was not impressed, very crowded, and not much variety. I still recommend Lime Grove Complex in Holetown.

A must See:

We were recommended by Anna, at Il Tempio Restaraunt, not to leave barbados without visiting Sandy Lane Hotel & Golf Resort.
This place conjures up images of Serene style in an idyllic resort setting. a perfect location in Barbados overlooking the Caribbean Sea.
You can visit the place for drinks, or have dinner, we decided to have dinner, and were not disappointed.

Again a visit to Barbados is a different experience, Barbados, has a bit of everything, very different island.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are the best
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear anna1957562671,

It sounds as though you had a thoroughly enjoyable time during your Barbados trip! This little island certainly does have a lot to offer and it was our pleasure to welcome you to The Crane.

Unfortunately, its sounds as though you were caught in the annual Christmas shopping rush in Bridgetown, but it is usually a lot less crowded.

Thank you for posting this review and we trust you won’t become strangers! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Michael Phillips

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!