We had an extremely disappointing stay at the Crane. While we are not the type of people to complain, it ‘s hard to swallow spending thousands of dollars on a trip for our anniversary, only to not enjoy ourselves. We were most disappointed with the quality of food, however there were a few other contributing factors.
We woke up one morning to find a large, dead cockroach on our kitchen floor. We went down to the pool hoping this would be cleaned up by room service. However when we returned, the bed was made and the dead cockroach was still lying on the kitchen floor. My husband had to clean it up, and needless to say I was afraid to use the kitchen after that.
The coffee maker took what seemed like hours to brew one cup of coffee! In addition, the regular coffee wasn’t refilled daily in the room.
Upon our arrival we signed up for the shuttle to Bridgetown, which we were told came to the resort every Thursday for $10 BD per person. We anxiously waited for Thursday only to receive a call 45 minutes before we were supposed to be picked up telling us the shuttle was cancelled because there weren’t enough people. Had we known this shuttle wasn’t definite, we would have gone earlier in the week on an overcast day. Regardless, we ended up paying $60 BD for a taxi.
My husband purchased a $19 BD box of Oreos at the general store which were so stale you could bend them in half and they didn't break.
A vendor at the craft fair Wednesday evening was rude to us because we did not want to buy anything from him.
The food at the Carriage House was moderate at best. After trying to eat there twice, we refrained from going back. We ate at Zen one time and what we ordered was okay, but nothing special. We had a few decent meals at D’Onofrios.
We attempted to eat at L’Azure three times. The first time was for lunch. We patiently waited about an hour for our food, and our orders didn’t even come out correct. The second time was on a Monday for breakfast. We were told the breakfast buffet was only served on Sundays, which was good because we only wanted something small, not the buffet. Well it was Monday and the buffet was being served. My jaw dropped when we got our bill for $97.66 BD. The third time we went to L’Azure was for dinner our final night at the resort. Even though the restaurant was not crowded, we again patiently waited 45 minutes for our food. When it came out, my salmon was completely raw inside. The manager came over and apologized and removed the salmon from our bill. My husband’s $82 BD steak was paper thin and completely well done, even though he had ordered it medium. His vegetables were undercooked, and he wasn’t even able to eat his baked potato. We ended up going to the ice cream shop for dinner.
We were continuously disappointed on our trip, and would never recommend this resort, nor would we ever consider returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels, Orbitz, BookIt.com, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish