My wife and I stayed with some friends at The Crane for two nights this November because it was recommended by many both local to Barbados or from where we're traveling in Canada. Their advice was spot on, here's our quick review:
Check-in: A breeze. We had our room keys within minutes and were rum-punched up (super good) immediately.
Pools: Absolutely lovely. There are 5+ pools located on multiple levels of the grounds. The bedding beside the pools was selectively placed with adequate amounts of shade and sun (for whatever your looking). Some of the pools also had spectacular views of the ocean. There were no swim-up-bars, but the restaurant beside the top pool was close enough to provide any libations.
Grounds: The grounds are nothing short of gorgeous. The mix of new-style architected buildings plus old-style made the feel of the resort quite nice. The large (20+ person) whirlpool in the midst of the open four walled structure overlooking the ocean ... wow! We also really enjoyed the "town-like" feel of the buildings where the restaurants and open air bar are located. The bar was great, but very quiet and could have used a bit more room or livelier music to draw in people. Even a pool table, dart board or another form of entertainment was something we chatted about while enjoying a glass of wine.
Restaurants: L'Azure was fabulous, the food outstanding, and the view even better. Zen was excellent, but coming from a Sushi-laden location we call home, the prices caused minor heartattacks. It's definitely worth trying as the food quality is amazing.
Beach: The beach is beautiful. Although it's a public beach, access to it isn't just a quick park and a stroll for the locals so it's typically more of a tourist beach for the resort. An elevator ride or quick jaunt down the stairs and you arrive at a white sand, fairly quiet beach. The waves on this south east coast of the island can get a little rough so be prepared to go to battle if you hop in for a quick dip. My wife lost a bathing suit (R.I.P.) to a rogue wave that frantically had me pulling up her bottoms and doing the "uh what do I do" cover up of her top before a second rogue indulged us with a greeting. Suggest you get the rum punch drinks out of fresh fruit on the beach. They're quite strong, but very, very tasty!
Room: We stayed in a ground level room (2 bedroom) a bit further back from the beach that included a secluded plunge pool and whirlpool, plus outdoor gazebo area. We made use of it during both days of our stay and enjoyed the stars at night. Truly relaxing over a bottle of champagne! The living room and bed room both opened up to the outdoors and made for a great fresh air feel. The second bedroom included two single beds and absolutely no decor whatsoever. We felt that a little odd. The suite included a full kitchen/dining area as well, which was quite convenient.
Note, the mosquitos here are a real pain in the butt, so bring bug repellant en masse. That would probably be our biggest gripe about the resort to be honest.
Would we go back? Yes. We'd try a beach-front, ground level 1 or 2 bedroom with pool for our next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jetsetter, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish