“Great Hotel, Beautiful Beach, But a Little Secluded” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pre-Winter Sale
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel, Beautiful Beach, But a Little Secluded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Crane Hotel in Barbados in October 2012.

Pros: The hotel is beautiful and huge! The rooms are great, large and with all the amenitiies. We stayed in a garden room (one of the lower priced ones) and it was still excellent. The beach is beautiful and secluded so that hotel guests are pretty much the only people on it (minus a few locals selling coconuts drinks). Although the water is a little rough, it was not too much to handle. The food is good as well. We would highly recommend the japanese/thai restaurant. It requires reservations, but is definitly worth it. The hotel is very family and couple friendly. It has great pools too. The hotel has everything you could need. No need to venture out unless you are going on a catamaran cruise (which we highly recommend Cool Runnings!).

Cons: The location of the hotel is on the southeast side of the island. It is very secluded from night life, other restaurants, etc. Some excursions even charge more for picking you up at the crane. It can be a little pricey to stay here. However, it is much more expensive to stay on the south or west side of the island. We used priceline and got a really good deal. There are two places to eat breakfast most mornings. There is a buffet, which is very expensive and a little coffee shop that serves croissants. Be prepared for the service to be extremely slow at the restaurant. It wasnt a problem for us because we were in Barbados to relax, but it took us 2.5 hours one afternoon to be served lunch. As long as you are prepared, it is not too bad.

Overall, it was a great experience and we would definatly return. The seclusion is nice for a few days.

Room Tip: Any room is good. I'm not sure that the ocean view rooms are worth the money. You cant actually...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Cathy J,

Thank you for choosing The Crane for your Barbados holiday, we are happy that you enjoyed your luxuriously appointed residences as well as the beach and dining at the resort. Zen restaurant has been named ‘# 1 for food in Barbados’ and continues to deliver excellent cuisine at competitive prices.

Many of our guests visit The Crane to enjoy the peace, tranquility and relaxing atmosphere that the south east coast of the island offers. We are no more than 15 minutes away from south coast which offers numerous restaurants, attractions and shopping facilities; and a mere 30 minutes drive will get you to the capital Bridgetown for duty free shopping.

We apologize for the wait during lunch and I can assure you that this is a gross departure from our established service procedures.

We are extremely happy that you will return to the island and look forward to welcoming you on your next trip!

Warm regards,
Michael Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Visited this wonderul resort for a family member's wedding. Everything was perfect, from Keisha, to Roddy at the beach, HSKP, guest services, front desk clerks, spa attendants, duty free associates, everyone we encountered displayed utmost professionalism and genuine service. All members of the wedding party had a great time. The beach was never crowded and if you wanted it all to yourself you can go from 5:30am-7:00am at this time of the year and no more than 3 or 5 people can be seen beach. Even during peak times there is always some where on the resort to get some R&R without being disturbed and I couldnt' be happier that we picked this time of the year to visit. The food was also top notch!

Although the waters can be rough, I consider myself an intermediate swimmer and had no difficulties. On our final day, my father unfortunately got knocked over by a large wave and cut his head. The beach attendants/life guards were quick to spot my father and provided assistance. Since he was left in such good hands I continued to enjoy whatever time I had left in the beach and left him with the life guards. Guest services sent an onsite nurse to tend to my father after he arrived to his room and provided a late check out until we departed to the airport. He is doing just fine and despite the accident he along with everyone else thoroughly enjoyed their time at the Crane made possible by the amazing staff and atmosphere.

I've read some of the reviews prior to my arrival and thanks to the GM's tips to some people who just seems to be complainers, we kept our two bedroom suite windows closed and the AC was just fine (maybe not as powerful as I'm use to back in Canada, but you're in the Carribean! and from a fellow hotel manager I can fully appreciate the challenges that may arise with a building that was built over a century ago!) The other buildings that the wedding guests stayed in had no such issues, in fact some of the ladies complained the AC was too powerful overnight and had to use their blankets. Even if the AC was broken (it wasn't) in room 231A&B I would not have trade it for another room, the views were amazing!

Definitely geared towards families & couples but I wouldn't say it's not for singles either. We ventured off the resort and Guest services arranged shuttle to transport us to different areas of the island anywhere from 15min-30min. If you are travelling with a bunch of singles I would highly suggest the Crane and pay the extra $$ for transportation as none of the resorts offer what the Crane have in scenery.

You may want to have someone look into the single bedroom in 231 shower, it only had hot water but I didn't care nor did I report it (sorry), I just used the one in the adjoining living room as I was more concerned of not wasting any minute of my time complaining about anything.

Thumbs up to all the staff and I'll definitely be returning!

Room Tip: If you need air conditioning that you are use to at home, choose the newer buildings. If you can ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Paul W,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us for your family’s wedding celebrations. We have shared your lovely comments with all the staff you mentioned and it has certainly brought a smile to their faces.

We are happy to learn that your father has since recovered and is doing well. Many of our staff members are trained in CPR and someone is always on resort to assist should our guests find themselves in difficult situations.

We have since looked into the water issue in your room and are pleased to report that the Engineering team has handled this.

Once again, thank you for choosing The Crane Residential Resort for your Barbados holiday and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at The Crane for one week in November 2012. We booked a Garden Deluxe 1-Bedroom via expedia and got a very good deal. Our suite was enormous with a very large living room with kitchen, a large bedroom, two bath rooms and a a nice patio with access to a private roof terrace with a little pool and BBQ. Everything was beautifully furnished and well equipped.

The location is really special and quite dramatic. The resort is situated on top of a cliff with spectacular pools and nicely landscaped grounds, while the beach can be accessed by an elevator or stairs. The beach has been justifiably described as one of the most beautiful beaches on earth, however the surf was always very strong which makes it difficult to swim.

In the middle of the resort is Crane Village with nice restaurants and some shops. The Italian restaurant is picturesque and quite good. We also attended the Sunday Gospel Breakfast at L'Azur, the breakfast buffet was quite substantial and the view over the ocean simply breathtaking.
We can highly recommend Cutter's Deli for lunch, it is just a short walk away.

Service in general was very attentive and nice, however sometimes a little bit slow.

My favourite part was to roll one of the deck chairs close to the cliffs and enjoy the view, the sunset and the early evening from here.

The Crane is a perfect place to relax, calm down and simply to enjoy life.

Dear JohannVienna,

Thank you for your lovely comments, you certainly have not left much for us to add!

It seems to us that you had an opportunity to fully explore the resort and enjoyed the best of the sea, sun and dining.

Just one tip, on your next trip down to the beach, speak with one of the life guards about the low tide. Low tide offers the best swimming conditions for light frolicking in the surf.

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from our wedding at the Crane November 8th. We couldn't be more happy with the way the week went. Do not buy into any negative reviews The Crane is exceptional in every sense of the word. Every room from the garden views to the 28ft pool were amazing. We booked over 40 rooms and I saw all categories and they were all above par for hotel rooms. The entire staff from both keisha's the wedding planners to Rodney the bar manager, carl the bartender, all the front of house and back of house staff everyone was amazing. My new wife was on cloud 9 and the entire week was perfect. We did not want to leave and will be back every year. There is no other place to even consider for a destination wedding! Hands-down the best place in the Caribbean if not the world! russ and maria 11-8-12

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear 2locations,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are thrilled that The Crane proved to be “exceptional in every sense of the word.” It definitely sounds as though you and your guests had a thoroughly enjoyable destination wedding experience here with us at The Crane.

Each member of staff you mentioned was thrilled by your glowing review. It was their pleasure to ensure that that this special occasion was exceptionally memorable.

Don’t become strangers. We all hope to see you again soon – perhaps to celebrate your 1st anniversary!

Brookmans Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned from the magnificent Crane Resort. Only bad thing is having to come home. I really do not know what anybody could find to complain about. After 2-3 days of being there you can actually feel all the stresses of "normal" life just blowing away in the wind. To me The Crane is not just a place but a way of life. Ever time we go I feel like I am going home. There have been a few negative comments on Tripadvisor recently, however you really should try for yourself. We have been going there for 12 years and the amount of people that we meet that are there for the umpteenth time speaks volumes. Do not miss out by considering the negative points, instead treat yourself to a vacation at this unbelievable resort I guarantee you will not be sorry!

Room Tip: The higher up the building the better the breeze. You do not need the A/C
Dear Helene W,

Thank you for your encouraging words to prospective guests! The Crane experience certainly is one not be missed. From lounging by our multiple pools to dining in our world class restaurants, The Crane has something for everyone to enjoy.

We appreciate you taking the time to post this fantastic review and look forward to welcoming you back home.

Morrisville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I recently traveled to The Crane for our honeymoon! We had a 7 night stay at the resort and absolutely loved every minute of it! From our arrival for check-in to check-out, the staff were very friendly and helpful in all aspects of our stay. Check-in went very smoothly and it was as if they were expecting us and called us by name. The concierge offered us their signature Rum Punch while we were checking in and the drinks were ready for us the second we were done getting our room keys. The concierge helped us with our baggage and brought everything to the room for us while giving us a brief history of the resort during our short walk to our building. Once inside the room, everything was spotlessly clean, but the A/C was off so it was a little warm until we figured out how to turn the A/C on. The A/C is not very strong anyway but it cooled off the rooms enough along with the ceiling fans. My wife kept saying it was still a little too warm for her but I was pretty comfortable most of the time. The Caribbean style windows and doors opened up for a nice steady breeze but there are no screens or anything on them so mosquitos did get into our room. We did not keep any of the doors or windows open during our stay after that. We had a one bedroom suite with a kitchen and a rooftop deck with a swimming pool. The swimming pool and deck upstairs were the highlight of our accomodations. A romantic place to be for breakfast, lunch, dinner or champagne and star gazing were all enjoyed on the rooftop deck.
The grounds of the resort are in very great shape and beautiful. You can definitely tell landscapers work very hard and take pride in their work. The Crane Village has everything you would need so it is not necessary to leave the resort unless you want to go on island tours/adventures. There is a small grocery store with plenty of snacks, drinks and other food items that you would need for a vacation stay. There are four restaurants and one bar in the Village. There is Italian, American, Caribbean, and Japanese/Thai restaurants. Most are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but The Carriage House was only open for lunch I believe. Each restaurant had something on the menu for all people. My wife is a picky eater and she was able to find things on the menu that she would eat and she really enjoyed the food. i enjoyed the food as well and our favorite restaurant was the Italian place. We ate dinner there at least 3 times and loved it each time. The service is also great at the restaurants. There was also a pastry/ice cream shop as well. The cakes and ice cream were delicious and the pastries looked great as well. Need souvenirs to take home? They have a souvenir shop as well!
The views from some of the restaurants and the grounds themselves were very beautiful. The pools were surrounded by tropical vegetation including numerous palm trees and the poolside furniture and loungers looked very comfortable. My wife and I used our private rooftop pool so we did not swim in any of the public pools. All in all, it was a very great trip at a fantastic resort and we will definitely be vacationing there again!

Room Tip: It is worth it to spend a little more and get a room with a private pool! So relaxing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Jeff M,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! You haven’t left much for me to add. It definitely sounds as though you enjoyed an absolutely fantastic honeymoon with us here at The Crane.

We were disappointed to hear that your enjoyment of the cooling Trade winds which circulate our residences was cut short by mosquitoes. We do wish you had brought this to our attention as the Housekeeping department would have been delighted to spray your room as well as provide you with mosquito nets.

However, despite this minor inconvenience, we are thrilled you enjoyed all that The Crane has to offer. From the sweet treats offered in The Village Café to the cool dips in your private rooftop pool, The Crane has something for everyone to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more vacations to come!

Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Romantic, quiet and just absolutely stunning! The resort was perfect for our honeymoon and I can not say one negative thing about our experience. I loved the Thai / Sushi restaurant and it was perfect for me and my husband because he would be eating sushi while I ate Thai. Only words of caution: beware of the rum punch served on the beach.... They are strong!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear MIb356,

Thank you for taking the time to post this brief but fantastic review! We were delighted to learn that The Crane proved to be the perfect spot for your honeymoon. Zen Restaurant is Zagat rated “Barbados No. 1 for Food” and rightly so! Our team, led by Chef Thai Van Ly, creates exotic dishes nightly to the delight of our guests.

We do hope to welcome you again soon – perhaps to celebrate your 1st anniversary!

Michael Phillips

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!