We just returned from a 4-night stay in a private garden suite. The grounds and the hotel were beautiful, and the staff was generally very nice.
Pros: (1) The pool complex was beautiful, well maintained, and with more than adequate seating. (2) The beach itself was beautiful with well-maintained grounds and a convenient bar. There were no public restrooms on the beach, however, requiring a lengthy trip up several flights of steps up to the resort. (3) Zen Restaurant was excellent - for those who enjoy Thai and sushi I would highly recommend it. (4) We had a private pool and jacuzzi off of our room, although the jacuzzi wasn't working. (5) The staff was very friendly and, with one exception, very acccommodating. (6) The grounds were well-maintained and the exercise area was large with a great deal of equipment. (7) We had no problems with the air conditioning in our suite - in fact, our rooms became a bit chilly when left on overnight. (8) The views were beautiful from the main grounds toward the ocean, and the views from the main restaurants overlooked the ocean with fantastic sights. (9) Taxis were readily available with no wait.
Cons: (1) Our suite had a significant mosquito problem, due largely to housekeeping propping the door open to the outside while cleaning our suite. (2) The service at the pool was poor, with no waiters and a towel stand that was closed/empty more than open. (3) The concierge service was fine in person but absolutely unreachable by phone - the phones would ring unanswered, then go into voicemail that was reported as full. (4) The breakfast buffet was ok, but not at the level of most resorts (other than in price). (5) There is no good location for walking - the grounds have limited walkways for exercise, and leaving the grounds to exercise lead you to narrow roads with no shoulder. (6) Portions of the resort are a bit dated and tired.
Barbados is not easy to get to from the US, and while the Crane Resort is certainly beautiful, it's a bit below the standards of many more accessible and modern resorts in the Caribbean. If you're into more rustic and old-fashioned resorts than we are, this would be a great destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jetsetter, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels, BookIt.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish