“Birthday Stay at the Crane” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay with us in 2015!
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Birthday Stay at the Crane”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I live in Barbados and each year I try to take advantage of this beautiful island and stay at a different hotel each year. This year I decided to spend a weekend at the beautiful Crane Resort to celebrate my boyfriend's 30th birthday. ( we checked in on 28th April 2012)

Boy were we blown away...we checked in around noon to take advantage of the pools (which were not crowed) after that we had lunch at the Carriage House where we were seated poolside and ate in our swim attire, the backdrop of the property was stunning, the food was simply delicious and the staff were extremely friendly.

After lunch we headed on over to our room where we encountered a few problems, the first one was that our luggage had not been delivered to our room as yet, which was a little bothersome due to the fact that we were still in damp clothing and wanted to change. After calling frontdesk it was later brought to our room, we then realized they placed someone else info and room number on our luggage tags . But the beauty of our room took our minds off the little mix up.

As I read in other reviews, the water in the bathroom does not get hot, at all, I don't know if that was as a result of the floor we were staying on (Junior Garden View Suite on the 3rd floor)

We also spent some time in the Village, did a little shopping there and also paid a visit to the Crane beach via the glass elevator. I totally forgot I was in my home land, the Crane has so much to do and see, it was absolutely breathtaking.

Unfortunately upon returning to our room we realized our door was open, we knew that we had closed and locked it but after further investigation we realized our door could not be locked unless we used the inside latch to lock it.

We were a little unsettled by this but nothing was missing and all was in its place, when I called front desk the phone went unanswered. So we just got dress & made our way to dinner because we were running late and did not want to lose our reservation.

Dinner was incredibly delicious, we dinned at D’Onofrio which offers the best Italian pasta ever and the wine was excellent. The setting reminded me of an old romance movie.. my boyfriend said it was "perfect". The staff sang happy birthday to him and treated him to dessert. They truly went above and beyond.

The minor issues we had did not in anyway dampened our paradise experience.
The Crane will now be a yearly tradition for our :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear NikitaConi,

Thank you for taking the time post this review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your residence category – Junior Garden View Suite – which offers the same luxurious finishes of our other residences but in a more intimate setting.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed your D’Onofrio’s experience. The staff always goes above and beyond to ensure that diners leave with fantastic memories. They were all delighted by your special mention.

We do apologise for the minor inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We understand that these can really take away from a guest’s overall experience and we appreciated you bringing them to our attention so we could rectify them.

It is always our pleasure to welcome local guests to The Crane. We are thrilled that you will adjust your annual routine slightly so we can have the pleasure of welcoming you again… maybe this time in the Park Residences with a pool!

Michael Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I had a great time at the crane. The staff are very friendly and happy to help. When we arrived there was a cocktail party and a great vibe. We had an awesome penthouse at the top of the building it had a great view and awesome features.
Thanks Crane

Room Tip: Choose your room wisely. Don't pay too much for a room, and choose and book through a travel age...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Nikhil S,

We are pleased that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us at The Crane. The Manager’s Cocktail party on Monday evenings really does have a “great vibe” and allows our guests to get to know the Management team and each other in a casual setting.

Thank you for posting this great review! We look forward to welcoming you again.

Sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed at The Crane in April for 1 week and were very much looking forward to our visit…. expectations were high. How could they not be? It’s “The Crane”… that’s why you stay there – right? Future guests beware!!! While we very much liked/enjoyed our Garden View room with roof top garden/plunge pool, the service we received was far from “unparalleled” as promised on their website.

In anticipation of our late check-in we e-mailed guest services in advance to have a few groceries from The General Store delivered to our room (their website even suggests advanced delivery if you have late check-in: In Room Dining> Pre-Arrival Stocking). We received an email containing the grocery list, made our selections, e-mailed the list back, and were told it would be forwarded to the General Store. We arrived in our room to find the few items NOT delivered. And past 11:00 at night, as you would expect, everything is closed (the groceries were delivered the next day, AFTER we had already gone grocery shopping). After settling in on night one, we realized the AC in the bedroom was not working. A quick call to the front desk assured us someone would be sent up. We fell asleep waiting for the person. The next day we (in person) asked the front desk to have someone fix the AC. We were told it would be looked at. We were out all day…did not get back to the room until after 9:00pm. AC was not fixed – and no sign that anyone had been in to look at it. Called to the front desk, I was told the AC tech was gone for the day but someone else would be sent up. 60+ minutes later still no one. Called again, was told the AC tech was gone and there was nothing he could do. I asked why I was told an hour ago someone was going to come up then – he didn’t know…but would send security up to look at it. At least this time someone actually came. I could tell the gentleman did not want to be there as he had no idea what to do. And I don’t blame him. He assured me he would make a note at the front desk and it would be addressed first thing in the morning. 10:30 the next morning…no AC tech…not even a courtesy call. Went down to the front desk, didn’t bother to mention my issue, and asked for the general manager. After a brief wait, Michael Phillips sat down with me. I explained our interactions with the front desk and mentioned I didn’t understand why his staff was telling me they were going to do something and then NOT doing it (multiple times). He agreed that our request was straightforward and that our frustration was justified. Within the hour, the AC was being worked on. And we received a fruit plate/bottle of wine for our trouble. If this is how a simple request is handled, it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. While we appreciate Mr. Phillips attention to the matter, it’s unfortunate he has to baby sit his staff…you wouldn’t expect that at The Crane.

It’s no surprise that we had another interaction with the front desk that should have gone differently. Upon check-in we were given room and towel keys, told about our spa treatments and given a sheet explaining our options for the 3 spa treatments that were included in our stay, along with a spa voucher (*note* verbal confirmation and 2 physical confirmations). We had no trouble booking our spa treatments (make sure you call early in your stay for booking – common sense). Upon checkout, while looking through our charges, the gal at the front desk noticed/mentioned we had not eaten breakfast. I asked Why? She said daily breakfast for us each was included in our package. You can imagine my surprise as this was the first I had heard of it. She said our package included the 3 spa treatments and daily breakfast. I said we were only told about the spa treatments…nothing was said or given to us for breakfast. She said the company we booked our trip through is responsible for telling us what our package includes (was booked on a flash sale website). I asked why were we told about the spa treatments then? She didn’t have an answer. I said fine…if she was simply going to delete/credit our breakfast costs, how about crediting us an average breakfast cost for two for a week toward our dinner charges (thinking a dollar is a dollar…what difference does it make?). She said “No…that’s not how it worked.” I at least expected her to discuss the matter with a manager. No…that was it. Truly, if The Crane was going to absorb the cost anyway, what difference does it make where they absorb it? I wasn’t asking for a comp of my entire bill or a ridiculous amount… only whatever it would have been. We just walked away.

Why is it that reasonable requests need to be fought for?

I understand mistakes/miscommunications happen. When they happen at a place like The Crane though, if their reputation means anything, reasonable request should be honored. Don’t miss the additional important fact: if we’d had daily breakfast, it would have added to our overall experience. Now instead it ends up being a major detractor.

After your stay you get an e-mail asking you to complete an on-line survey. Saying they would “appreciate learning about your stay…your business is important to them”. I filled it out April 27th with the above notes (along with our positives: excellent housekeeping staff, over all excellent dining experiences). Asking for a response back on the “breakfast being included” because I feel strongly the RIGHT THING TO DO is to credit a reasonable amount toward our final bill. I have yet to hear back.

The Crane has an amazing beach, great views and excellent accommodations. Unfortunately our experience with their front desk staff leaves me (and it should you) questioning the promised “unparalleled” service.

From reading other reviews, I know Mr. Phillips responds to each one. So I'm sure he'll apologize for our over all experience, tell me they're "working on XYZ" to improve and suggest a second chance for a superior experience. It would have been much easier to 'take care of us' the first time. I wonder how many people give a 'second chance' and what is done (besides written/verbal promises of improvement) to restore their confidence? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were at the Crane with all our family in March and were thrilled with everything. There were twelve of us which included four families, three with young children. There was something for everyone including great accomodations, good restaurant choices and lots of activities - some at the Crane and some around the Island. Since this was a special family trip we included photos from The Color Box Studio at the Crane. The two photographers were amazing and we came home with a cd of pictures and memories to last a lifetime. Steaks and treats from Cutters made it possible to have a special barbecue on our deck one of nights there.

Room Tip: The room depends on your needs and family interests. We actually had three different units which sat...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Sandra G,

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family to The Crane. We couldn’t agree with you more – The Crane certainly has something for everyone! Our spacious residences allow families to relax and unwind in comfort while there are a variety of restaurants with family friendly menus.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the recently opened Color Box Studio which offers an excellent opportunity to capture your Crane memories for posterity. We are looking forward to creating many more memories with you!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Where to start? Like most of us that have been to the Crane, we think not only of fabulous food, beautiful surroundings, the freshest air with lots of breezes to keep you away from needing air conditioning, but our first thoughts go to the incredible staff who go out of their way to make our stay top notch!
How many times have you stayed anywhere that you come home remembering names of so many because they absolutely made your vacation? Lunch, dinner, drinks at the Carriage House located next to the pools give you the chance to spend time with the ever wonderful Susan, Who knows everyone and keeps me laughing from the moment I arrive,Peter and Errol, who make the best drinks and always find time to make your day better, Rodney, who is so kind and thoughtful, and Gloria who quietly knows just what to suggest and my favorite cook, Sheronette! They all greet guests by name and are likely to know exactly what you want. Try the crab wraps for lunch, Sheronette's mahi mahi spiced to perfection and the seafood medley with sweet lobster for dinner.

And don't miss 1887, my favorite bar on the premises. Whether it is Kevin who makes a mean rum punch or mojito, Marlon who can match his skills, Oswald and Orwin with their charm and talent Carl and Tio mix masters, all of the staff at 1887 are fabulous. Thanks to the atmosphere created by Rodney who oversees it all, it makes the perfect meeting spot before and after dinner.

And dinner? What a treat! L'Azure has reopened and while watching and listening to the sea, enjoy a menu that just is outstanding. Whether it is the lobster, parrot fish, snapper or lamb, it will become a favorite. Don't miss the Gospel Sunday brunch and say hello to a great staff...Yvette, Wesley, Ivan and as always the charming Esther who does so much behind the scenes in the kitchen.

D'nofrios has the best Pasta and pizza and the warm smile of Peter Felix greeting you makes for many a great lunch and dinner spot.

And who would want to miss the best Thai and Japenese eating experiences at ZEN? The wine list alone is outstanding and everyone comes from all over the island to enjoy their sushi.

And each day while I head to the beach where I have a lunch at the new Coconut Grove grill which is great and start a day talking with fun and super efficient attendants Josh, Juan Carlos, and the boys, or head to the many pools where it never feels crowded, I know I will come back to a room that is clean, fresh and so well cared for because Jennifer has looked after us. She has been our room attendant for some time and is so good at what she does to make our experiences even better.

And take a look around at the Beautiful grounds, stop and chat with Sammy on his trike to see the most beautiful flowers being delivered or chat with Taylor, my friend of many years who always makes me feel at home.

I am already looking forward to returning next year, being greeted by Dennis, Bernise and Jennifer at the front desk. I count on their warm welcoming smiles and can't wait to return! DON'T MISS IT!!!

Room Tip: I love higher floor rooms where the breezes never stop. No need for air-conditioning, ever!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear CB2029,

You haven’t left anything for us to add! We are thrilled that you continue to enjoy all that The Crane has to offer over the years.

It seems as though you know each member of staff by name and I join with them in looking forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Room accommodations were perfect with massive floor plans and fully stocked and functional kitchens. Location was excellent as The Crane represents the only high quality hotel on the Atlantic/East Coast for those who enjoy real ocean waves. The drawback is that the hotel is a bit too far away from any nightlife. Ocean beach was stunning. Plenty of pool options for all ages, with gently sloping pools for the little ones. The Crane would benefit by having a Kids' Club for certain families, but we really enjoyed spending the time with our young children in a safe, fun environment. Guest services were tremendously helpful, while the broader staff were all very pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Many of the ground floor rooms have full-sized private swimming pools which is a great way for adult...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear PH1234_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review. The Crane’s location endears us to our guests who simply seek to unwind in undisturbed luxury. However, guests are always pleased to discover that the exciting nightlife offered by St. Lawrence Gap is only 25 minutes away. You’ll also be pleased to learn that a Kids’ Club is actually in our plans for future development.

It was our pleasure to welcome you and we look forward to your speedy return!

Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

As journalists for a popular cruise website, we are always looking for places where our readers can stay to extend their cruise vacations. We recently spent a wonderful night at The Crane in Barbados. The place is amazing! This is a property where you should book at least 3 to 5 nights. You never need to leave the property as they have everything within walking distance.

The rooms are actually residences with full kitchens, two bathrooms and even washer and dryers, making them perfect for families. With six swimming pools and a white sand beach, you never are far from the water.

If you are planning a trip to Barbados, check out The Crane.

Our complete review and video: http://www.cruisereport.com/crBlogDetail.aspx?id=1780

Room Tip: We did not see a bad room.
Dear Chris D,

Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review. We are thrilled you experienced a “wonderful night” with us enjoying our spacious residences in particular. The Crane is indeed perfect for families with a world famous beach and fantastic pools for the young (and the young-at-heart) to enjoy.

We hope to welcome you again for a longer stay!

Michael Philips

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!