This was my first trip to Barbados and loved it! There were a few complaints I had but the location and resort itself made up for it. It was worth the money spent.
We stayed on the top floor with an ocean view and I can't say enough about the room, all I could ask for, including a washer and dryer to do laundry before coming home and a jacuzzi in the roof. I was in awe when I walked in the room. Not once did we have to use the AC, the breeze from the ocean was enough to keep us cool, even at night...and the best part was there were no mosquitos or flies in the room at any given time. We had dishes and an ice maker so that made it even easier. The cleaning was done daily while we were at the beach and our place was very clean every day, I couldn't even feel a grain of sand walking barefoot on the tile floors when they were done.
My only gripe was the distance to everything, the general store, the shops, and the beach but the walkways are so nice with all the scenery, it made up for it. Do not expect any service while at the pools, I hated to get up and go find a drink, so most of the time I took my own water. the drinks there were pretty small with little ice for everything,even a soda. I almost went and bought an ice chest to load up on ice and drinks to go lounge by the pool and beach.
The pools and beach were great! We had problems with the elevator down to the beach almost daily,but they were working on it. The beach was never too crowded so that was good as well. Some locals would come and try to sell us drugs nearly every day when we got there but we politely ran then off. Marijuana and a coconut drink are just not my idea of a vacation,neither is cocaine.
The people are most certainly the friendliest and it is good to greet them, they all greet you back! This is the island lifestyle I assume and just be patient. Stores and restaurants do not open early, even though the sun is out after 4:30 a.m.. Room service was closed early a few nights and the bar closed at 10 p.m.. I had to get used to their opening hours, we can get almost anything at anytime in the U.S. but not here. I am just glad I didn't have a medical emergency! I did read response times may take up to two hours and EMS personnel are not allowed to give treatment, just take you to the hospital. Scary thought!
The resort is good size and very scenic. Very friendly people are always happy to help you. The food is good, not great in my opinion, and somewhat expensive,but it IS a resort. Tostitos chips with a jar of queso were $17 US at the general store so we just went to the restaurant for a snack and paid about the same price. I really was not impressed with the food, just the hot pepper sauce.
On this trip we only toured with Cool Runnings Catamaran tours to swim with the turtles, this was a must do for me and it was worth the $90. A camera is a must and an underwater camera is even better. I only took a small DRY PAK for my I.D. and money and a mesh bag for my snorkel gear and underwater camera. You should borrow a towel from the resort to take with you though, snorkel gear is provided but no towels.
It was an overall great trip, I hope to return soon, but to rent a room with a plunge pool instead. Take a camera and plenty of sunblock lotion!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched dramatically on the cliffs of Barbados' pristine south-east coast, The Crane Residential Resort, established since 1887, is the island's oldest operating hotel. Transformed into a world-class luxury resort, The Crane features ultra-spacious, fully appointed ocean-view one & two bedroom suites and three bedroom Penthouses, many with their own private plunge-pool. Facilities include the acclaimed Zen Restaurant serving classic Thai and Japanese cuisine and the consistently popular L'Azure Restaurant. The casual Carriage House Pool Side restaurant is another favourite along with D'Onofrio's Trattoria located in 'The Village' which offers duty free shopping, a General Store, Bar 1887 (with nightly live entertainment) and The Village Cafe. Last but not least is Crane Beach voted by Lifestyle's of The Rich and Famous as one of the Top Ten most beautiful beaches in the world, now with a fabulous Beach Grill! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels, Orbitz, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Residential Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Residential Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish