“Loved this place!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Summer Splash
Odessa, Texas
“Loved this place!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

This was my first trip to Barbados and loved it! There were a few complaints I had but the location and resort itself made up for it. It was worth the money spent.
We stayed on the top floor with an ocean view and I can't say enough about the room, all I could ask for, including a washer and dryer to do laundry before coming home and a jacuzzi in the roof. I was in awe when I walked in the room. Not once did we have to use the AC, the breeze from the ocean was enough to keep us cool, even at night...and the best part was there were no mosquitos or flies in the room at any given time. We had dishes and an ice maker so that made it even easier. The cleaning was done daily while we were at the beach and our place was very clean every day, I couldn't even feel a grain of sand walking barefoot on the tile floors when they were done.
My only gripe was the distance to everything, the general store, the shops, and the beach but the walkways are so nice with all the scenery, it made up for it. Do not expect any service while at the pools, I hated to get up and go find a drink, so most of the time I took my own water. the drinks there were pretty small with little ice for everything,even a soda. I almost went and bought an ice chest to load up on ice and drinks to go lounge by the pool and beach.
The pools and beach were great! We had problems with the elevator down to the beach almost daily,but they were working on it. The beach was never too crowded so that was good as well. Some locals would come and try to sell us drugs nearly every day when we got there but we politely ran then off. Marijuana and a coconut drink are just not my idea of a vacation,neither is cocaine.
The people are most certainly the friendliest and it is good to greet them, they all greet you back! This is the island lifestyle I assume and just be patient. Stores and restaurants do not open early, even though the sun is out after 4:30 a.m.. Room service was closed early a few nights and the bar closed at 10 p.m.. I had to get used to their opening hours, we can get almost anything at anytime in the U.S. but not here. I am just glad I didn't have a medical emergency! I did read response times may take up to two hours and EMS personnel are not allowed to give treatment, just take you to the hospital. Scary thought!
The resort is good size and very scenic. Very friendly people are always happy to help you. The food is good, not great in my opinion, and somewhat expensive,but it IS a resort. Tostitos chips with a jar of queso were $17 US at the general store so we just went to the restaurant for a snack and paid about the same price. I really was not impressed with the food, just the hot pepper sauce.
On this trip we only toured with Cool Runnings Catamaran tours to swim with the turtles, this was a must do for me and it was worth the $90. A camera is a must and an underwater camera is even better. I only took a small DRY PAK for my I.D. and money and a mesh bag for my snorkel gear and underwater camera. You should borrow a towel from the resort to take with you though, snorkel gear is provided but no towels.
It was an overall great trip, I hope to return soon, but to rent a room with a plunge pool instead. Take a camera and plenty of sunblock lotion!!!

Room Tip: A room with a plunge pool is better!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We have just returned for a week's stay at the Crane Resort. A week is not long enough. It is an amazing and enchanting place. The restaurants are some of the best on the island and the people who work at the Crane ARE the best (Kerrie, Errol, Shaquille, Anthony, jason and everyone). We loved every minute and everyone we met. We took tours that were arranged and rearranged by the staff. We also took our own excursions by foot and by bus off the resort. Barbados is very lovely and very safe to travel around. While we enjoyed all the restaurants at the Crane (L'Azure, Donofrios, Carriage House), we also enjoyed walking to two local restaurants, Crane Palms and Cudders. It was just an overall amazing experience that we hope to repeat!

FRances and George

Room Tip: Get a plunge pool! Only costs a little more.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Dear millsnet,

We are really pleased that your time at The Crane was one of your “best vacations ever”. The location, the wonderfully manicured grounds and the spectacular views of the resort combine to create the perfect get-away for anyone looking for peace and privacy, while enjoying “big city” conveniences.

Barbadians are genuinely friendly people, and the employees here combine that warm nature with a dedication to ensuring that guests have a truly enjoyable and memorable time. Everyone you mentioned by name was delighted to hear that you had described them as “the best”.

Thank you for you review and for your description of the property as an “enchanting place”. We hope that you will return again, maybe this time for a bit longer than a week.

South Plainfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The Crane resort was a wonderful place to relax and renew! The ocean views are breathtaking, the property is more beautiful than the pictures on their website, and my 2 spa treatments were unforgettable. Beach chairs & chairs by the pool are a plenty! The manager at the SPA was a ray of sunshine! I traveled with two girlfriends & we enjoyed our days of nothingness by the many pools & beach. Several restaurants on property offer many choices of cuisine that’s pretty tasty and the market has other food options if you would prefer to eat in your condo style room instead of a restaurant. Service can be slow at time by American standards, but being on ‘island time’ means slowing down and enjoying the wait! We were in building #8 & the ‘garden’ views not so great. The extra price for ocean views would have been worth it. It’s obvious that the property is under construction but the beautiful landscape made up for the ‘under construction’. Despite the lack of view, the room looked just like the pictures with a HUGE beautiful bathroom, spacious bedroom/living room & great kitchen area. Our major complaint: the air conditioning! The first night we arrived it wasn’t working & then after it was working it was unable to cool the room below 25 C (77 F). However; without complaining to staff, we received a $100 credit on our room for the lack of air conditioning. That’s customer service! Happy hour was also a treat with two for one drinks nightly! If you’re looking to party & for night life, this is not the place….but if you’re looking for a beautiful place to relax & escape the rush of daily life…THE CRANE is the answer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear gingeranne,

Thank you for your review. Your last sentence truly described the atmosphere here at The Crane: “a beautiful place to relax & escape the rush of daily life”.

You are not the first guest to be surprised at the fact that the resort looks even more spectacular in real life than it does in our promotional photos – which I think you'll agree are amazing. We offer spectacular views of the unspoilt southeast coast, spacious rooms with a simple yet elegant décor, and Crane Beach – famous for its wonderful stretch of soft, pink sand. Then, there are our beautiful pools, world class restaurants and Serenity Spa, which is definitely a new favourite for long-time Crane visitors. Kennifer, the Wellness Manager was delighted to hear your description of her.

We apologise for the disruption in the AC service to your building while you were and we thank you for your patience and understanding. The problem was rectified quickly, and as you noted, guests were readily compensated. You will be pleased to note that our back-up system is being installed to avoid such problems in future.

We are delighted to know that you and your friends enjoyed the different culinary experiences which The Crane offers. Whether it is taking in the views of the Ocean and the pool complex while dining at the Carriage House, or experiencing the wonderful sushi menu at Zen, guests are sure to find something to fit their cravings. And for those who love to cook, the kitchens in our rooms have all the appliances needed to create a delicious meal, and The General Store has the ingredients!

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience with us at The Crane. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

We just returned from a one week stay at The Crane. It is a beautiful resort in a wonderful setting. We will definitely return.

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath garden condo in the Residences in the Park section. The condo had a large garden in the back with a pool, jacuzzi, lounge chairs, and a gazebo with a dining set under it. The condo had a living room with a sofa bed, a dining room with six chairs, and a complete kitchen. A washer and dryer were also included. The only problems we had with the room were many mosquitos, the air conditioning did not always work well, and the jacuzzi did not work. We did not know until our next to the last day that you could ask for mosquito netting and mosquito repellant devices for the room. When we found out about this service we called and it was immediately addressed with apologies. The air conditioning issues were also always addressed immediately. The jacuzzi not working was the only issue not addressed. We were finally told that the jacuzzi came on with a timer at 4pm daily which was not true.

The service throughout the resort was friendly and efficient. We ate at Zen, L'Azure, and The Carriage House and received great service at all three. Dewayne, our waiter at L'Azure, and Jason, our waiter/host at the Carriage House, were especially friendly and went above and beyond with service. Service at the bar was also excellent and all bartenders were friendly and nice.

The pools and the beach were awesome. They are well-maintained and very relaxing. Our son used the gym and said it was fine.

We used Glory Tours while we were in Barbados as basically a private driving service. They picked us up and took us back to the airport; took us to St Nicholas Abbey , The Round House for lunch, and on a tour of the Eastern Coast,; took us to dinners at Champers, Scarlet, and Luna; and took us to Bridgetown shopping and to Mt Gay Rum Factory. Our drivers were Quamie and Calvin and both were very good and knowledgeable. They were very flexible with us when we would make changes to our plans.

Things we liked the best: the condo, the pools, the beach, the food

Things we liked the least: the many mosquito bites , which were not the fault of the resort but more information we acquired this time will help avoid the issue next time

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear randy794,

We are delighted that you and your family had an enjoyable time with us at The Crane. The ground floor suite in the Park Residences where you stayed, is a wonderful choice for families because of the private garden. Children can play safely in the pool while the adults can choose where to sit and supervise: from the loungers in the sun, from the shade of the patio, from the shaded gazebo, or from the separate jacuzzi.

The jacuzzis in the park are operated on two cycles, 10AM to 12PM and 4PM to 10PM. If your jacuzzi did not come on automatically at that time, it must have been a problem specific to that one. We really are sorry that we did not know this while you were here, but will ensure that you can enjoy this feature in full when you return.

Mosquitoes multiply in Barbados when it rains heavily so we have implemented anti-mosquito fogging around the resort on an increased schedule. However, we have noted your suggestions and will start advertising our anti-mosquito devices more clearly in rooms and at Front Desk.

The staff at The Crane take extra pride in the service provided. We are committed to ensuring that guests have a truly wonderful stay with us so we were all delighted that you experienced the warmth of The Crane.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

First a caveat...I did not stay at The Crane over night. I had lunch at The Crane. I had dinner at the Crane's top restaurant called Zen. (Ranked the #1 restaurant in Barbados by the local magazine. Those who have dined at "The Cliff" or "Cafe Luna" might argue with that rating but few will dispute that it is in the top 5 in Barbados.) I walked around the village several times. (It is the cutest little village.) I spent an afternoon on the beach. I talked several times for many hours with the salespeople about purchasing a timeshare. The sales staff was charming. The restaurant service was excellent and restaurant views of the Caribbean were jaw droppingly spectacular…a true visual feast. And after two days of looking at the rooms, pools, grounds, buildings and interacting with various staff I came to the following conclusion: This is heaven on earth for an unfathomabIy reasonable price…A true dream come true for me. All dreamers know that there is nothing more rewarding than a dream being fulfilled. A dream coming to full fruition. I suppose there may be a more relaxing place somewhere but I don't plan on flying all over the globe to find it. The Crane exceeds all of my expectations...which I consider to be quite high. If I find another place that exceeds my expectations...great...I will visit it too. But will I stop going to the Crane just because another place is beautiful too??? I seriously doubt it! I can concieve of a place different than the Crane, I cannot conceive of a place superior to the Crane. It is literally heaven on earth and some buildings are still in construction. The Crane is visually fascinating while easy on the dollar. I cannot wait until all of the construction and the spa are finished. If it is awesome now, what will it be like by the summer of 2012 when construction is complete. Miraculous. Nothing on Earth that I have ever seen manifests God’s glory like The Crane….except for Beyonce’ in concert…maybe…probably not!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Residential Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
Dear paradisefound5,

We often say that The Crane is “at the intersection of heaven and earth”, so your comments on the resort were quite heart warming. Your words were very poetic and exemplified the simple yet elegant tropical retreat that is The Crane.

The Crane is located on the unspoilt Southeast coast of Barbados, set on one of the world’s finest beaches making it an ideal spot to truly escape and relax. The Village, the choice of four restaurants, the traditional yet luxurious accommodations and the amazing pool complex are just a few of the features which make each vacation truly memorable.

It is indeed a pleasure to know that you fell in love with the property without formally staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back so you can fully enjoy all that The Crane has to offer.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

The resort is amazing, so tranquil! Everyone there is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are nice but we learned our lesson that it's better to upgrade to an ocean view suite. Mostly because the air conditioning at the resort is minimal so it would be more comfortable having the ocean breeze coming in the room. MUST DO: The Crane Spa is wonderful- Kennifer and the ladies are amazing! Best Spa ever! Also MUST DO: Cool Runnings Snorkeling with Turtles!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Lolakel_11,

Thank you for your lovely review and for describing Serenity Spa as the “Best Spa ever”. Kennifer and her team were thrilled when they read your comments.

All of the rooms at The Crane are spacious, with luxurious and simple yet elegant decor. However, as you mentioned, the Ocean View rooms get maximum benefit from the cooling trade winds and spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean from the comfort of their balconies. We are currently installing the new AC system to enhance the chilling power for those guests who prefer lower temperatures.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will return to the resort soon for a little rest and relaxation.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

The Crane keeps getting better and better! We always look forward to seeing what new amenities are in store for us. We noticed a big improvement in the service at the restaurants this year. Units can vary but any issues we had were taken care of quickly. The setting is so spectacular that it makes everything else insignificant! The food at Zen continues to be some of the best on the island. Just got back and already counting the days until we return!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear jpetz63,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is truly a pleasure to know that you are already counting down the days until you return.

The Crane is committed to ensuring that each guest has a wonderful time with us. This has led to the development of The Village and a number of changes including the extension of dining hours at The Carriage House. However, central to The Crane’s success is the warm, attentive nature of the staff. Employees engage in continuous training and we thank you for recognising our dedication to customer satisfaction.

Zen continues to be a favourite with both visitors and locals and we are delighted that you continue to enjoy the restaurant. Our goal for 2011 is to maintain our #1 Zagat Rating for Food in Barbados – which would be three years in a row! L’Azure is set to be reopened by the end of summer and we invite you to come and experience the renovations and the new menu.

We’re looking forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Michael Phillips

Been to The Crane Residential Resort? Share your experiences!