“Very interesting… in a creepy way.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Casa Grande Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Grande Airport Hotel
Oldbury, Barbados   |
Nebraska
“Very interesting… in a creepy way.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at another resort in Barbados for our honeymoon, but our flight was cancelled and we were recommended this hotel for a fairly affordable stay and it had a pool and restaurant. We should have known it was be a memorable stay when our taxi driver laughed and told his buddies he was taking us to "Casa Grande."

When we arrived things seemed quiet for mid afternoon at such a large hotel, 200-300+ rooms plus four banquet halls. The room was only US $80, but when we got in it smelled so strong of mildew we couldn't believe it. At first I just figured it needed to be aired out, but there was some type of smell coming from the floor drains in the bathroom.

The furnishings and decor seemed nice enough, although fairly mismatched and confused. The bed was hard as a sheet of ply wood. They do have some rather interesting and impressive showers with radios and massage nozzles built in, but the hot water lasts about five minutes so that feature is short lived.

We made our way down to the pool deck just to get some sun and many of the deck chairs were broken or broke when we sat on them… let me just state that my wife and I are not yetis, I weigh 155 lbs. To try to salvave the afternoon I got us some drinks from the poolside bar, and at no surprise at this point there was no carbonation in our vodka tonic or our rum and coke. So we stuck with beer.

Much like some of these other reviews, we saw only two other couples that were staying there at the time. This is where the creepy part comes in. When you walk around this hotel, it's huge. We thought it was the off-season for the hotel, but we're starting to realize that this place is probably either hanging on by a thread or more like just a legitimate front for some not-so-legitimate business that we did not see going on.

Probably the only thing that was a positive is that their food, although not amazing, was not terrible… but fairly overprice. We paid about US $17 for a BLT sandwich and fries.

We were luckier than another reviewer that had their money stolen. We at least fortunate enough to see some creepiness coming and locked our valuables in the safe in our room.

Our friendly, but rather unorthodox send off was the same guy that was running the front desk and checked us out just straight up left the desk and gave us a ride to the airport. Guess he wasn't expecting a rush?

One last super weird thing… there is a giant abandoned playground at the hotel that my wife and I found as we were walking around, but get this… it's on the freaking roof! I'm attaching a photo.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Based upon the other reviews, this hotel seems to be the one of choice when flights are cancelled. We got stuck at this place after Air Jamaica cancelled our flight.

The room smelled of must and mildew and who knows what else. Judging by the grime on the mirrors, tub, sink and floors, it had not been cleaned very recently. I had to clean out the sink before I would even use it!

At breakfast, my coffee (instant, by the way) had some weird hair/debris in it, so that was the end of my breakfast appetite.

It seemed like the people on our flight were the only people at the hotel, although the place seems huge.

I could not wait to get out of that place so I could go sit in the airport and wait for my flight. What a way to end what had otherwise been a fabulous trip.

Upon my return home I looked through the hotel's website and was amazed that it claims to be a new hotel. New owners maybe, but this place is falling apart with peeling paint, dirty lobby and rooms, and pool that was filled with leaves and other debris.

I don't usually write reviews but this place was so bad, I had to warn other people!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Too many things to choose from
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Saint Philip Parish hotels

Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

I was on a layover due to flight cancellation. Upon arriving to the hotel the staff were very disorganized, didn't know how to use the computers to book us in. The rooms were filled with the smell of mold. The walls outside the room were covered in green mold. My room was covered in water from the AC.

The food they had for us for dinner was chicken that was dry and flavorless and the beef was tough and tasteless. Breakfast was a row of boxed cereal and make your own toast. Not a piece of fruit in site. The juice was not real juice but Sunny D or Tang. I looked around to find a table and 3 of the 6 tables I looked at the coffee cups (that were turned over as they were fresh) had lipstick of at least one per table.

Over all it was a very disappointing stay and a very sad way to end my trip of celebrating my 40th birthday.

The one good thing was I got to stay one more day on this beautiful Island.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

We were laid over in Barbados for a day and Air Canada put us at the Casa Grande. We were the only guests at the hotel. Upon arrival it took the front desk staff about 15 minutes per guest to book them into the room using the computer. It was almost like they didn't have any experience with the software program.

Finally got to my room. It was extremely moldy smelling. My friend had the room beside me, which had the same must smell, but not quite as strong. We were assuming that it may have been from a leak which we noticed outside my room. The rooms were beautiful and looked over their centre pool area. The bathrooms are equipped with modern jacuzzi-style with built-in water massage systems. This was quite impressive. The meal that was provided on behalf of Air Canada was even worse that what you get on the airplane. In the morning, I got to the what looked like a cafeteria, a bit late, and was only able to get a coffee. Nothing else was even available, even if I had paid for it.

Overall my stay would have been acceptable except for the fact that when I went to the airport the next morning I opened my passport wallet only to find that ALL my Barbados money that I kept for my next trip had been stolen. The rooms had keyless entry and my doors were locked at all times. I had been out the evening before and my friend and I stayed by the pool in the morning before we departed the hotel. With the keyless entry, I can't see how anyone except for hotel staff could enter the rooms. My friend also mentioned to me before I noticed my money was missing that she thought someone had been in her room as her TV was turned off and she had left the room with it on. As we were the only guests in the hotel, and we were leaving at 11:00 a.m. by bus to take us ALL to the airport, there is no reason for anyone to be in our rooms before we checked out.

I called the hotel from the Airport and I sent a letter to Air Canada, and nothing was done. The amount that was stolen was equivalent to approximately $150 Cdn. I would never stay at this hotel again because I could never believe that it wasn' t the staff that entered my room.

It's really too bad. This hotel has a lot of potential. I would have preferred that Air Canada had permitted us to go back to the hotel we stayed in before our stayover. My hotel was only 2 star hotel where there was no security per say, and I felt very safe and have never had anything stolen from my room.

• Liked — Rooms and pool were beautiful
  • Disliked — Moldy smell in my room, theft
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casa Grande Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!