“Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!!.....Even Nipton didnt like it!” 1 of 5 stars

Westminster Hotel
11-12 East Parade, Rhyl LL18 3AH, Wales   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Rhyl
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!!.....Even Nipton didnt like it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very poor indeed. This Hotel is in need of a facelift, it is extremely tired, dated and needs a good clean. We had a room with a view which was only visable when the windows were open because of the two inches of filth on the windows. Quilt cover with a fag burn, and a mattress with the springs embedded in your back all night. Carpet and décor that hadn't been changed since the war (1914). The full Welsh breakfast was a source of entertainment though, not sure what was Welsh about it unless it is traditional to serve cold beans, one sausage, one piece of dried up bacon an egg and some cold toast. The bar prices are extortionate which is why it was always empty apart from Saturday when there was a comedian entertaining about 10 OAP's of which 6 were asleep. The staff were friendly and the location is good although Rhyl is not somewhere I would be going back too.

Room Tip: Don't bother with it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here for long weekend with coach trip, first impressions the room was very well presented, very clean, the bed was very comfortable and linen fresh. I asked reception the next morning if I could have extra pillows and decaf coffee and sure enough when we came back from our trip these had been left. Meals were served with a smile & very prompt, although you had several choices I asked for a jacket potatoes instead of chips with my salad for one of the evening meals and again this was no trouble. I have a lot of dietary problems and am somewhat restricted to what I can eat but there was always something for me to have. I had read some of the reviews and was a little concerned but the hotel was fine, yes it does need a paint job (Carol the owner know this) and I expect in time she will do so, but all in all a very good stay. I work in the profession myself and I know that you can't please all of the people all of the time but we try!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
broadstairs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here for long weekend on coach trip which included some train journeys. Large hotel and coped well with two coaches. Hotel is tired and needs updating. However, saying that staff were great, rooms spacious and very clean. Bed was comfy. Cooked breakfast, limited choice but ok.
At the end of the day you get way you pay for and if you want a budget holiday and a good base, it fits the bill perfectly. Would I stay there again.....taking all into account I would!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and ask for a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Friendly welcome , room basic but clean. Sea front room lovely ,the curtains don't obliterate totally the street lighting . Popular with more elder guests. A very comprehensive guide to the hotel adds to the whole package. Recommended

• Stayed September 2013
gravesend kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel is sadly in need of an update although the the room was a fair size not much thought had gone in to the comfort, The seating was of a dining type so that watching the incorrectly placed Television was tiring and wasn't helped that you had to watch siceways when resting on the bed.
Bathroom was served by a Macerator which was noisy so if someone got up in the night it most certainly woke up the partner, although signs indicated very hot water you had to wait some considerable time before it became warm. Definatly requires refurbishment

Food service was very prompt and the happy Liverpudlian who dealt with with us was excellent, quality was however basic

I am not sure how they could charge the specified room rate plus the cost of food, they must rely on coach parties to operate successfully

Bar drinks were quite expensive
Good points the staff were ver welcoming and friendly and the location is convenient for all of the Welsh Attractions

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a premier room as there is no A/C in the basic room and a decent bathroom
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Farnborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This place looks rough from outside ,and gets a whole lot rougher inside... the ground floor is ok clearly having had a spruce up recently, although poorly finished. On to the lift - this will hold just 2 persons, not good with a coachload , many of whom are not able bodied. On to the bedroom, along a carpet that once was red, now almost black with dirt. The floor above was the same. The room itself was smelling strongly of (I think) dog. Of the three windows , one was secured shut with two pieces of wood screwed into it, one was partially opened but if touched would fall fully open - they are sash windows- so was not adjustable. The third, bathroom window was wedged open with a piece of four by two. In the heatwave this was not good. Bath and plumbing were old and decrepit, with dirt and insect life appearing each morning (blowing in or falling from the rotting woodwork of the window frames?).
The bed linen was ok, BUT I have never experienced such a din as produced by the local seagulls, this would quieten down after 11 pm, but resume and louder still at 5am. This banshee wailing and screeching was made worse by the family of 4 gulls living out side of our windows on the flat roof. This was littered with chicken bones evidently from the local KFC. I should add that others on our coach commented that no alarm clock was needed- just a sleeping draught.
Food was just about ok but served promptly by the staff.
Entertainment was provided, weak to ok in our view.
The situation of this place is actually good, opposite the esplanade and an aquarium, both recently completed BUT the town itself is very very run down and dingy - there really is nothing to make you go out having seen the state of it.
Does 1 star seem harsh - well read on. We handed our room key to reception in the morning, and on returning from the day's excursion the key was not there- we had probably lost it, we were told. After a search we asked the reception to check all of their keys held - still not found. Later that night approx. 1 am, a man opened our room door, switched on the light , and apologised, explaining that he was given this key! So next morning a word with the manageress produced an unconvincing explanation about a resident asking for a change of room (to ours? Really?) and being given our key. An apology? No. A free drink? No. A Shrug of the shoulders and (I quote) "What was the night porter thinking". And there was nothing she could do to prevent it happening again, other than "having a word". Yes.
This place will not improve under such management. Avoid .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Well, what can I say........This two night stay was on a kGB Deal and I suppose you have to take the bad with the good, don't you? When we arrived they straight away want you to pay for any extras you may have booked i.e. my standard seaview room which at time of booking I was asked would I like a standard for extra, or pay extra,extra for a top seaview room, I asked at time of booking what is the difference and told basically the top seaview rooms are decorated regularly and standard have re-done bathrooms but not bedrooms, however they are all fine. I had a standard seaview, which is round the corner from the sea and has a good view of the car park (multistorey) also! the bathroom had been re-done recently though. They have limited parking which is fine, as the carpark is cheap and close but you have to remember to go out at 8am, to put a ticket on and when you have kids you have to lug all your bags round from car park to hotel.
The staff were freindly and helpful but what is all this with pay as you go? I have always payed my bill at the end of my stay, I don't like this paying as you go along. The room was ok a few bits fallen off things but ok, it was the state of the doors to the rooms that worried me a bit as they all looked like they had been used as a punch bag!
The breakfast was fine but they could not seem to get our table right as it was set for two and I had payed for my son and a baby. It is such a shame, I am sure that at some stage in it's life it was a beautiful busy hotel but they are clearly struggling. Would I go back there? no never, infact I would only return to Rhyl if i was driving through.

Room Tip: Well do not have a standard seaview!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!