“AVOID” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Rhyl
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This place looks rough from outside ,and gets a whole lot rougher inside... the ground floor is ok clearly having had a spruce up recently, although poorly finished. On to the lift - this will hold just 2 persons, not good with a coachload , many of whom are not able bodied. On to the bedroom, along a carpet that once was red, now almost black with dirt. The floor above was the same. The room itself was smelling strongly of (I think) dog. Of the three windows , one was secured shut with two pieces of wood screwed into it, one was partially opened but if touched would fall fully open - they are sash windows- so was not adjustable. The third, bathroom window was wedged open with a piece of four by two. In the heatwave this was not good. Bath and plumbing were old and decrepit, with dirt and insect life appearing each morning (blowing in or falling from the rotting woodwork of the window frames?).
The bed linen was ok, BUT I have never experienced such a din as produced by the local seagulls, this would quieten down after 11 pm, but resume and louder still at 5am. This banshee wailing and screeching was made worse by the family of 4 gulls living out side of our windows on the flat roof. This was littered with chicken bones evidently from the local KFC. I should add that others on our coach commented that no alarm clock was needed- just a sleeping draught.
Food was just about ok but served promptly by the staff.
Entertainment was provided, weak to ok in our view.
The situation of this place is actually good, opposite the esplanade and an aquarium, both recently completed BUT the town itself is very very run down and dingy - there really is nothing to make you go out having seen the state of it.
Does 1 star seem harsh - well read on. We handed our room key to reception in the morning, and on returning from the day's excursion the key was not there- we had probably lost it, we were told. After a search we asked the reception to check all of their keys held - still not found. Later that night approx. 1 am, a man opened our room door, switched on the light , and apologised, explaining that he was given this key! So next morning a word with the manageress produced an unconvincing explanation about a resident asking for a change of room (to ours? Really?) and being given our key. An apology? No. A free drink? No. A Shrug of the shoulders and (I quote) "What was the night porter thinking". And there was nothing she could do to prevent it happening again, other than "having a word". Yes.
This place will not improve under such management. Avoid .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Well, what can I say........This two night stay was on a kGB Deal and I suppose you have to take the bad with the good, don't you? When we arrived they straight away want you to pay for any extras you may have booked i.e. my standard seaview room which at time of booking I was asked would I like a standard for extra, or pay extra,extra for a top seaview room, I asked at time of booking what is the difference and told basically the top seaview rooms are decorated regularly and standard have re-done bathrooms but not bedrooms, however they are all fine. I had a standard seaview, which is round the corner from the sea and has a good view of the car park (multistorey) also! the bathroom had been re-done recently though. They have limited parking which is fine, as the carpark is cheap and close but you have to remember to go out at 8am, to put a ticket on and when you have kids you have to lug all your bags round from car park to hotel.
The staff were freindly and helpful but what is all this with pay as you go? I have always payed my bill at the end of my stay, I don't like this paying as you go along. The room was ok a few bits fallen off things but ok, it was the state of the doors to the rooms that worried me a bit as they all looked like they had been used as a punch bag!
The breakfast was fine but they could not seem to get our table right as it was set for two and I had payed for my son and a baby. It is such a shame, I am sure that at some stage in it's life it was a beautiful busy hotel but they are clearly struggling. Would I go back there? no never, infact I would only return to Rhyl if i was driving through.

Room Tip: Well do not have a standard seaview!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Blackburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a two night stay at this hotel -including breakfast. We found the hotel staff very friendly and welcoming. The food was very good. Drinks from the bar very expensive, but we was compensated with excellent entertainment. Our bedroom was adequate, clean, and the bed sheets crisp and fresh. All told we had a good break and we would definitely go back there

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We went to this Hotel in June on a coach tour trip in June. We took one look at the outside and our first thought was how run down it looked.Paint was peeling off and birds droppings were everywhere. But our room was o.k. although it did need refurbishing as did the hotel in general. The food was average but we still enjoyed our stay in Rhyl.The Hotel is right on the sea front so in excellent position.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at the hotel during a trip to Portmerion, and Welsh Steam Railways. The room I had was very comfortable, with new furnishings and bathroom, the bed was extremely comfortable. Had breakfast and evening meal and the meals were very good. All staff were very helpful and efficient.
Overall a fantastic break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just been on a three-night holiday, "Portmeirion and Welsh Mountain Steam" with Newmarket Holidays, based here. The bedroom was cold, and the proprietress refused us a heater (we went down later and got one from someone else). The room had a dingy, ripped and holey net curtain.The carpets on stairs and corridors were filthy. Almost all the food was tinned, frozen, and pre-processed. (Especially avoid the battered fish, and the watery custard!) That the breakfast wasn't bad is the only good thing I can say.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I've just spent five days on a coach holiday in Rhyl based at the Westminster. It's well situated on the sea front and close to the town centre, which must make it popular with families at the height of the summer season. To be perfectly honest it's not a five star establishment but you don't pay five star prices to stay there so I don't have a problem with that at all and I enjoyed my stay. It's clean and comfortable enough and the food, while fairly plain, is fine, with a vegetarian choice each night. It's difficult to please everyone and cauliflower cheese is a long way from being my favourite dish but it was okay and the breakfasts were lovely with plenty of choices...how do they get the porridge so creamy?!!

My room (a single) wasn't huge, though perfectly adequate for the purpose, and I struggled to open the window; it was a very warm day when we arrived so I reported my problem at reception and it was sorted for me with a minimum of fuss. The bathroom was actually a decent size for a single room plus the shower stall was a decent size and the hot water maintained a constant temperature, which hasn't always been the case in some hotels I've stayed in, so that was a nice bonus.

However, I think the biggest asset this hotel has are the staff. Everyone we came into contact with were unfailingly polite, warm and friendly, and always happy to help; they certainly made our stay even more enjoyable. The evening entertainment was great fun, especially if you like your music with a healthy dose of nostalgia, though I do understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Kris Kane provided us with the most variety, as well as plenty of humour, and audience participation was actively encouraged which made for a great evening for myself and the family members I was with.

So in summary it was one of the nicest hotels in terms of being welcoming that I've encountered on a coach holiday and I'd certainly be very happy to stay at the Westminster again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!