“A Good Place To Stay In Porthmadog” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Sportsman Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 High Street, Porthmadog LL49 9HB, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Porthmadog
Minehead, United Kingdom
“A Good Place To Stay In Porthmadog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I've just spent the last week in Porthmadog to ride on the now fully opened Welsh Highland Railway.

I stayed in the Royal Sportsman Hotel for four nights on a room only basis.

I found the staff very helpful the premises was very clean and inviting and the public rooms very comfortable.

My room was very comfortable was well furnished heated and the bed was extremely comfortable, the only slight downer was the WC/shower which was a little dated but I understand from the manager that all the single rooms are having these new units installed

I'd definitely return but I would go on a tariff which includes Breakfast.

Nice to go to a characterful hotel

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend. Excellent value for money and wonderful food.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This was my first time at the Royal Sportsman but I feel it won't be the last.

On first sight you'd be forgiven for thinking the building has a 'public house' style of appearance but don't let that fool you. Its a well established hotel with a very strong history.

Its location was ideal for visiting the local area. The room was warm and delightful and very generous in space. If I had any reservation at all it was that the pillows were a little unforgiving but that it very much a personal experience. Overall we were impressed by the cleanliness and the decor although in fairness the room had recently been renovated; as had other parts of the hotel.

The Food at the Royal Sportsman was impressively good. Its creativity and its presentation was as good as its taste. Portions were generous (if a little over generous for my modest needs) and service was very good indeed. We really felt we got value for money in our experience and have no hesitation in commending it others. If I could improve the experience, I would perhaps dim the dining room lights and perhaps use more colourful table candles to enhance the atmosphere but overall I was delighted to eat there.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I booked 2 nights at this hotel for our 10th anniversary and it was a wonderful stay. I am a fan of Austen novels and this hotel took me back to that era. I am not saying the hotel is outdated, it has all the modern facilities you would need, what I mean is... it has still managed to keep many of the old characteristics which enabled me to easily visualise horse drawn carriages stopping at this roadside inn, and card gemes being played in the lounge area.

I booked the hotel through a wowcher deal which included a dinner allowance for both nights and free continental breakfact. On the night we arrived, we got slightly late and the kitchen has closed. But the chef kindly prepared some sandwiches for us which were more than adeqaute to fill us.

We visited Portmerion which was lovely and had dinner from the specials menu on the 2nd night. We also got a free bottle of wine since both of us ordered 3 courses and were pleasantly surprised when the bill was still very low.

I could not enjoy my dinner as much as I would have liked as I was coming down with a bug (which I have caught BEFORE coming to the hotel), so plan to go again in the summer to enjoy the wonderful food and the lovely atmosphere.

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

After a long journey we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of our 'deal' hotel. A warm friendly welcome, check in thorough and simple. Room cosy and comfortable, very clean with a good size en suite. The food was excellent, proceeded by a drink in the lounge complete with log fire. All staff were very good, polite, courteous and happy to oblige - with good local walking knowledge. A good size boiler room for drying wet walkwear was superb. A lovely break, highly recommended this hotel

St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We thought this hotel was lovely. It was very clean considering they allow dogs, not a dog hair in sight. WE was able to eat our meals in the bar with the dog or eat in the dining room without the our dog. The bar was lovely and warm with a warming open fire, which is what we needed as it was cold. Food was excellent would recommend it to anyone. The staff were nice and welcoming. We got lots of info from them on where to go and found some lovely walks which we never been on when visited before. We will be going again.

south wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just returned from a weekend here. There was nothing to fault. We paid a little extra for a larger ground floor room which was very good. The food was excellent and the service very friendly and efficient

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Sportsman Hotel? Share your experiences!