“Tired and grubby furnishings but friendly helpful staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Tarbert Hotel

You added The Tarbert Hotel to your Saves list
The Tarbert Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Harbour St. | Loch Fyne Argyll, Tarbert PA29 6UB , Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Tarbert
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Tired and grubby furnishings but friendly helpful staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We recently stayed for two nights and what lets this hotel down is the attention to detail.
The room was large but the sofa had a grubby cover and scatter cushions which were shabby. Also the tablecloth was disposable but left on in a dirty state. The shower had been refurbished but was broken. The drawer front fell off when it was opened! However the location is great and the staff very friendly and hard working. We did not try the food but the locals ate there. Had this hotel been a lot cheaper it might be forgiven some of its short comings.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newcastle-upon-tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Having read some of the other reviews here, I was expecting a tiny, dirty room and threadbare towels. In fact, my single room was a perfectly adequate size (small, but not London small) and was clean enough that I didn't notice anything. The towels weren't fluffy, but did the job! The hotel is slightly shabby and run-down and has lots of stairs, but that's true of nearly any small hotel, anywhere. Plenty of free parking in the public car-park along the harbourfront. The breakfast was fine; I didn't sample the restaurant but it seemed busy. The location was good, only 5 miles from the Kennacraig/Islay ferry. Just right for the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Convenient to the ferry to Jura and Islay. Reasonable room rates, clean, smallish room. Food was great, worth stopping by just for that. Very friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Ayrshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband, myself and my dog came to stay at The Tarbert Hotel for one night so I could attend an interview in the area. We stayed in a clean room with plenty of space, even enough room for a big dog to sleep with comfort! The bed was comfortable and there were tea and coffee making facilities available. The shower was good and there were plenty of clean towels. Overall we could not fault the cleanliness of the room. The service was good, the staff obviously work hard. The food and atmosphere were also good and if we are in the area we would call in again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
County Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I visited Tarbert for a wedding & having left it to the last minute to book a room was happy to get a upgraded to a double room for the price of a single.
The room although not massive was clean, the bed was very comfortable, the decor was neutral & seemed recently done and the breakfast was much better than the one l had on arrival at the cafe across the road !!
However - the bad points were a tiny sink in a (very) small toilet and the shower which was either hot or cold & seemed to consist of 4 very weak jets (took ages to rinse soap off!!) and also; which did make me laugh & was one of the highlights of the day - someone had written "[--] hole" in the dirt on the ceiling of the shower cubicle!!!!!!!!!!
(Room 7 if anyone from the hotel is reading !!)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Whilst travelling on business I was booked into this hotel, thankfully just for the one night.
The hotel looks shabby from the outside but lobby and bar area ere welcoming as were the staff upon arrival. Having to drag myself and my bag up two and a half flights of narrow stairs and open the door to my room to be faced will a wall, I must admit, my hopes fell. The room was so small that once my bag was in it, the floor space was just about taken up. The room was not welcoming and the sheets were ripped. The wardrobe top box door came off in your hands as the hinges had broken. There was no hairdryer no tea and coffee facilities and the worlds worst bathroom made me despair. I have not seen toiletries in sachets for years ...... It may have been cleaner than I thought (hoped) but it just had an air of despair which in the tiny space was all consuming.
The one light was the bar food which was tasty and filling. Oh, and the towels were threadbare, and that's a kind description.
I have stayed in alot of hotel over the last twenty years and I believe that this one is undergoing refurbishment. All I can stay that until that is completed, go for a meal but don't stay here, it's just not worth it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I just read through the other reviews and figured I must have stayed at some other hotel. Or maybe I'm just easily pleased. Let's cut to the chase. Tarbert is Tarbert not Monte Carlo - or even Glasgow. Externally the hotel is best described as "quaint and in need of some T.L.C." Fair enough... do you know where this place is?

We only stayed one night but here's what we found. Room was very spacious (big). Bathroom was recently refurbished, big (spacious) and clean with a huge bath tub. So the decor was a bit kitshy - but we are talking Tarbert here. I've submitted a photo or two of the room and view and I reckon you'll admit that it's a pretty decent hotel in a beautiful location. In terms of wining and dining, the bar down stairs is cosy and comfortable, while the breakfast we enjoyed was much the same as any other pub breaky we tried in the U.K. And, for what it's worth we thought the staff were very friendly. Again, maybe we are just easy to please, easy to get along with. And yes I'd go back there tomorrow.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tarbert Hotel? Share your experiences!