“Quality Guest House” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castleton House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mere
Castleton House
You added Castleton House to your Saves list
Castle Street, Mere BA12 6JE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Mere B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Quality Guest House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The bed was so comfortable, having a memory foam matterous and a light and airy duvet, it was like heaven. the room was well decorated and equipped with a fridge and even down to water bottles, not that they were needed. The Guest house is well situated just a minutes walk to the shops and public houses that do food. The power shower did seem rather noisy when working, It didn't matter to me but I did wonder if showering early it may disturb other guests. Breakfast was great, but for me I would have liked a few baked beans and proper toast. A very nice Guest House that I would love to stay in again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Hi Andy,
Thanks for writing us a review and it was great to meet you last week. Just to let you know the noisy shower issue is currently being sorted out and next time you come please just ask for beans with your breakfast. Oh yes toast is always available again please ask as I always just put out either the fresh bread or rolls.
Look forward to seeing you again, hopefully with your partner so you can both enjoy the comfortable bed. Thanks again for the review and best wishes, Gail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Castleton House is immaculate with beautiful furnishings in the centre of Mere. We stayed for two nights last week-end and had the most delicious cooked breakfast on both mornings, home made jams, marmalade, kippers served up as well as the full English Breakfast. Gail was most enthusiastic to ensure we made the best of our time in the area. There was plenty of local information and advice from Gail herself. Double bedroom was well appointed with an extremely comfortable bed, the en-suite bijou but adequate for a week-end away! Would not hesitate in recommending this beautiful B&B.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you Anita for writing this review for me. I so enjoyed meeting you both and was really touched to receive a letter saying how much you'd enjoyed your stay here. Hope the jams and marmalade are going down well.
Very much hope to see you both again when you're down this way.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Our stay was perfect in every way. We received a very warm welcome from Gail and Peter. We stayed in the twin room, which was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. A scenic walk in the village was recommended to us and we enjoyed the view of Mere and the surrounding countryside. We went to the Walnut tree pub in the village for dinner which had a good atmosphere and varied menu. The next morning we had a fantastic breakfast prepared by Gail, we both chose the scrambled egg and smoked salmon on toast - fantastic! We only stayed one night but wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and it was lovely meeting you both. I hope the photography day at Stourhead was all you hoped for and good luck with those medical applications.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Two double bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms in a beautiful house in Mere. We stayed there twice recently, on both occasions for several nights. The reasons for our visits were sad ones, my mother's funeral and then the sorting of her house, but we couldn't have been better looked after. Gail's breakfasts were wonderful, the beds perfect and I have to say, in response to the comments made by another reviewer about the shower, that I had a problem with it on the first visit but then mastered it effortlessly on my second, so it is probably just a knack. I would go back there like a shot.

Room Tip: Either room is perfect and there is a connecting corridor between them if you want to be able to tre...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thanks very much for writing this lovely review. I so enjoyed meeting you and some of your family and was only sorry that you were down here for such a sad occasion. Hopefully the dust is beginning to settle now and it won't be long before you have your daughter's wedding.

Perhaps meet again if you have call to come down again. Best wishes, Gail
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at the Castleton House for one night and were welcomed by Gail and her husband graciously. The room was lovely and clean; the bed very very comfortable; and the breakfast simply delicious. What a wonderful experience and super-nice people! :) Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It was great meeting you both and I hope the furniture you came down to collect looks lovely in your home. I wonder how your visit to Stonehenge went, I've yet to hear from someone who has visited the new 'Visitor Centre', something I must do myself soon.

with very best wishes, Gail
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Loved it! Very warm and picturesque! Must say it was idyllic. I don't remember the owner's name but she was very hospitable and she made it feel very homey. The town was adorable and we went across the street to the George inn for dinner and it was amazing. Will stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thanks for writing this review, I'm so pleased you felt so welcome here and that we might see you again. Best wishes, Gail
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Castleton House. Despite the reason for the trip being rather a sad one as we were attending a funeral, we found our stay to be relaxed and comfortable, a home from home, as well as great value for money. Gail is a great host, in a lovely house, working hard to make her guests feel welcome; she has also mastered the art of a perfect poached egg! We found the room (Twin) to be clean with everything that we needed along with little extras such as a small fridge with fresh milk, toiletries and great coffee. The only other comments would be that the beds were a little soft, but we appreciate that this is personal taste and an extra coaster to put drinks on to prevent damaging the furniture would be good. Although the hot water was plentiful, the shower was a little disappointing although these points would certainly not put us off from visiting again. Gail is a great source of knowledge of the local area, and can provide numerous maps and resources to enhance your stay; hopefully we will have an opportunity to test this knowledge out on our next visit.
Thankyou, Dawn and Tracey

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GailGarbut2t, Owner at Castleton House, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Hi Dawn and Tracey,

Thank you for taking the time to write me a nice 4 star review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate what you said about another coaster in the room and am off to buy a set now, and thank you too for your generous comments about my poached eggs, its taken a lot of practice and it's great to know they're appreciated. I'm sorry that you found the shower a little inadequate, we have a power shower in the double room and generally find that guests in the twin room enjoy the option of having a bath as well as a shower, however when it comes to updating the shower I will look into something more powerful.

I hope your drive home wasn't too long and stressful. All the best for 2014 and I'm sorry it started in a sad way for you.

Best wishes, Gail

Been to Castleton House? Share your experiences!