“Decent Curry” 3 of 5 stars

Description: Telephone 01384 373703
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Decent Curry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very decent curry house. Food is not amazing, but it is not bad, always very consistent. The price reflects this. Service can however be varied. One or two of the waiters are very entertaining and have a good laugh with the customers. Others are not helpful and make no effort to interact with the customers.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dudley, United Kingdom
“Poor at best!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My self and my wife visited the red Forte Friday gone, after receiving mixed reviews from my friends and I must say we are a little spoiled for choice in the black country for Balti houses and i would consider us as a race of Black Country Folk to have a pretty good understanding of what is and isn't a good curry!

This is our second visit to this establishment and unfortunately very possibly our last.

Don't get me wrong this place seems to get consistently good reviews so i ask myself the question either the majority of the Red Forte faithful have no idea what good food is or the Red Forte was just having an off day, based on the evidence i would have to choose the latter.

When we arrived we were seated immediately as we had pre-booked so no issues there, however in all fairness most of the curry houses in the Black country operate a walk in policy and it is rare you actually need to book, so no surprises really.

We sat down and were given a few minutes to make up our mind and were brought poppadoms and dips fairly quickly, unfortunately that's were it all started to go wrong. For those that don't know what mint sauce, mango chutney and chilli sauce should taste like, it should minty, sweet and sticky, and spicy respectively, non of which applied in this case. I could only describe it as thin watery and flavourless, they had clearly tried to water it down to make it go a far as possible however this completely defeats the object, if we can't taste what were eating then there is not much point in eating it in my opinion. poppadoms were good, you can't really get a poppadom wrong I suppose.

Starters:
We ordered Nargis kebab for my wife and a lamb chops(s) for me to start, which to be fair came quickly but when I asked why at my previous visit I received three lamb chops and this time only two, the waiter replied they were bigger now with more meat on, which was clearly not the case, they were burnt on edges and were mostly bone, in addition my wife's Nargis kebab was cool not piping hot which for an eggs and meat dish is pretty dam important. To me £3.95 for two small boney lamb chops does not represent good value for money, they were also served with yet another jug of the tasteless so called mint sauce to add salt to the wounds.

Mains:
I ordered a dish from the specials menu something called "ALHABADI" and my wife had the so called healthy option "Roti Wrap". My main was described on the menu as a medium spiced sauce with chicken lamb and King Prawn. I kind of expected the description to match the dish, this yet again was not the case, when it came it had clearly been laced with more of the terrible red food colouring which i am sure i have read somewhere it is not that good for you in large amounts, it had two-three small pieces of lamb, the same amount of chicken and 1 king prawn!! yes only 1. further more I found it quite comical when the waiter had to actually single it out on the plate whilst he served it to me, when i said why only one prawn his comment was " The gaffer is getting tight lately" i thought to myself I will remember that the next time i decide to go out and spend £30- £40 on a balti. My wifes main was at least hot this time but lacked flavour and finesse, my sauce was far too sweet and again just too Red for it ever to represent anything edible (clearly not natural). So far we weren't impressed, can you tell lol?

Sides:
The only saving grace were the naan bread and the rice which were both very light fluffy and tasty, the portions again just about adequate so no major issues there.

Deserts:
We didn't bother, the menu was a typical collection of frozen deserts such as ice creams and coconut flavoured stuff, all in all whoefully uninspiring.

Customer service:
In my opinion the Red Forte staff are quite efficient at serving food but that's were it ends, they are either very unhappy or massively underpaid and over worked as i cannot work out why every single one of them has a long face and to crack a smile would seem physically impossible. just so they know this is what a smile looks like guys :-)

As soon as our mains were done with we swiftly asked for the bill and exited the premises.
I cannot understand for the life of me or understand why our dining experience was so bad and yet there are so many good reviews, maybe i was just unlucky.
I have since spoken to numerous people since our visit all who have said this place is not what it used to be, and unfortunately i could not recommend a visit here to anyone.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Extensive menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Visited with friends recently and had a super evening. The menu is extensive and the chefs seem willing to adapt any dish to suit individual taste. The food was good but not outstanding.
Behind the restaurant is a large carpark and banter with our waiter left us chuckling.
Like many baltis, it is not licensed but you are welcome to take the drink of your choice.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best in Wollaston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Been going here pretty much ever since it opened and it's still maintaining a pretty high level of food and service. Probably a bit more expensive than the restaurants in Lye but food is excellent and service and decor pretty good as well. Out of the 4 places in Wollaston this is definatly my favourite. Wide range of specials available along with the usuals makes this an excellent choice and worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

High quality varied menu. Better for a. group booking rather than couple - we have done both and it can be very noisy.

Visited April 2012