“Consistently excellent but my moules on Saturday were historic (rip Michael)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The William Bray

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent but my moules on Saturday were historic (rip Michael)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have eaten at the WB many times. Only once have I had cause to make adverse comment, on a very slightly overdone steak, and only then because the rib eyes are usually so fantastic.The menu is short yet always interesting enough to make choosing deliciously difficult. The food pulls off the nifty trick of being always beautifully presented, yet unfussy. if you stick to the steaks and fish and chips you certainly won't be disappointed, but you're missing out on some inspired combinations. But to those mussels, a perfect example of excellent ingredients, simply cooked (without the cream - why do people do that!), just their own liquor, a merest splash of wine, a scraping of orange zest, couple of aromatics. Bliss.

Pricing is fair, reflecting the quality of the ingredients. The service is unfailingly charming and good humoured, I don't recall a time when we have had to wait longer than reasonable except twice when we were forewarned when we booked. It can sometimes seem a touch haphazard, but by some miracle, seems always to work. The bar staff taking food orders and payment can on occasional mean it takes a minute or two longer to get a pint than one might expect given the number of customers (but then I am a very impatient grumpy old man), but it's always a pint worth waiting for - if you like your beer light and very hoppy The Shere drop is consistently the best I have found anywhere.

If you are wont to judge a place by how many notches you have to let out your belt, there might be better choices for you. The dishes are not in any way miserly, but nor do they seek to mask lack of quality through sheer portion size, and if you are very hungry you'll need a couple of courses or three. But for consistently good interesting food, in a very pleasant environment, it takes some beating.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Weybridge
“Shouldn't have bothered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Having walked from Newlands Corner to Shere we were unsure of where to eat - The White Horse pub or try The William Bray. We decided on the latter and were very disappointed with the bar food ordered. This was a snack meal of Shere Drop Rarebit with soldiers. Despite the long wait for this it turned out to be a slice of bread toasted, but cold, cut into soldiers with a very small cup of a cream coloured thick sauce which was meant to be melted cheese with mustard. It was completely tasteless and unappetizing. A child's cheesy dipper would have been more exciting.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Twenty four hungry Ramblers were watered and fed with excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were 24 in our party. My husband and I had booked the table, seen the menu and ordered that morning. The young manager, whose name escapes me was more than helpful. He has a good supportive team to back him up. Not one person found fault in any of the food or service.
I believe two South Africans do the cooking. I eat out a lot and also travel extensively.
I enjoyed the best Asparagus' Risotto ever, perfect "Al dente"
I would really prefer the place was kept secret, too many people might spoil it for my next visit

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Oh dear, what a wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Went with friends before we were due to catch trains back to London. Food was lovely, ordered the mullet and my friends scallops were amazing but the service is appauling. Waiting 20 mins for the bill after asking three times for the bill. First they looked a little stunned when we asked for the bill, had to ask us three times what we had, myself and another person went to ask for the bill. It was like a comedy of errors. Once the manager had the bill in his hand, stopped to chat to some others, then when he finally made it to our table, instead of apologising for the delay, started to make excuses for the poor service. Poor form, loads of other great pubs nearby, don't bother. We missed our train and had to pay for another fare back to London.....

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Went for a birthday lunch,with family.this was our third visit and the most disappointing. No record of our booking, but fortunately not busy so shown to table straight away, service was very good but food disappointing.garlic chicken was very tender but linguine was almost solid on the plate, pork cutlet turned out to be a pork chop and fig and blackberry tart far too sweet,although the lime creme fraiche was nice and sharp.
Altogether disappointing,but hope this was just a one off as our first two visits were great.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere