“Very good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Devere Venues Denham Grove

You added Devere Venues Denham Grove to your Saves list
Devere Venues Denham Grove
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tilehouse Lane, Denham UB9 5DG, England (Formerly Durdent Court)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denham
“Very good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here for a single night to attend a wedding and therefore did not spend an awful lot of time in the hotel. Booked despite some of the more negative reviews as it was so cheap comparative to other hotels in the area (£39.99 for a double - the least I've ever paid in the UK!).

For the price, it was better than I expected: clean and well laid out with nice outdoor bar area. The room itself was clean with a comfortable bed and a decent bathroom. Only complaint was that the TV in our room had terrible reception, particularly frustrating as we were trying to catch the Wimbledon Men's Final!

Additionally, opted out of breakfast (charged at £12.50 a head, felt this was a bit out of keeping with the cost of the room).

Otherwise, for this price, I'm not sure what people are complaining about! Good value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
conway_chris, Front of House Manager at Devere Venues Denham Grove, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Erasha,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of Denham Grove on TripAdvisor – we do appreciate all the feedback we receive.

It sounds like you had a great time during your stay with us, finding us good value for money and the hotel clean and tidy.

Our Breakfast price is actually £7.50 if booked in advance and really is well worth it as it includes both a full continental selection as well as a full English option.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Denham Grove in the near future.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Fife
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had a few nights here when visiting London recently and we were really impressed by the quality of the room and general décor of the place, the rooms were very small however with not enough hanging or drawer space. The hotel is very out of the way down a lethal single track road and speeding cars coming towards us almost ditched us more than once. When we found it we were delighted with the exterior of the place. The hotel has lovely well kept grounds, a pool with a Jacuzzi and sauna and a small fitness suite. The pool however let the hotel down as it was a bit grubby and we felt the tiles could do with a good scrub. The Jacuzzi had a similar problem as it smelt a bit odd/stale and we actually got straight back out of it and went back into the pool. While the hotel was clean, housekeeping was not great as towels were taken but not replaced, toilet rolls had to be asked for, lights didn't work as the bulbs were out and teabags/sugar/soap etc was not replaced. The restaurant also let the hotel down, having as many elevated tables with bar stools as normal low tables which meant on busy occasions we had to sit at one of these which was not comfortable or really where you want to sit and relax and have a meal. Service was really slow and they were focusing on catering for the groups that were in rather than for individual travellers/families. Business meetings and conferences seem to be what the hotel focuses on as these were in full swing during our stay there, this meant it got a bit noisy at night during the week due to all of the socialising and networking going on.
A nice touch are the coffee areas around the hotel where you can help yourself to a hot drink, biscuit or fruit throughout the day. The hotel also plays host to a group running children's swimming lessons for 21/2 hours after school every day. This meant a constant stream of mums with small children in the lounge areas, drinking free coffee and helping themselves to fruit and biscuits. We watched one mum blatantly put her hand into the biscuit basket and shovel the lot into her handbag!
All in all we would go back but only at the weekend and only if they had a special offer on as otherwise it would not be worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rickdekikkerfanclub,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of De Vere Venues Denham Grove with the TripAdvisor community.

It sounds like you had a mixed experience when you stayed with us. I must apologise for the poor standard of cleanliness you encountered around the hotel – this is not our normally high standard that both our guests set us and we set ourselves, the standards you describe are wholly unacceptable.

I have spoken at length to our Housekeeping Manager regarding your comments and extra training has been arranged for the team to ensure items are replaced correctly in your bedroom. While we clean our swimming pool and the surrounding area regularly, it is clear from your review that there were some issues when you visited and as such we have arranged for additional deep cleans to be carried out.

I am disappointed to learn that you were not offered a lower table, but we would of course made one available as soon as another party had finished dining. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the coffee stations that are dotted around the venue.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will consider staying with Denham Grove again in the future.

Rangiora, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here before flying out from Heathrow. In the country but close to the airport. Comfortable hotel in extensive grounds that was just what I needed before a long trip. Helpful receptionist, plenty of car parking, clean, quiet room, adequate ensuite, comfortable queen size bed, grounds were great for a lengthy walk. This hotel also had spa, swimming pool, gym, tennis court and restaurant. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try any of them but the menu looked very good. As well as the usual tea and coffee in room there was a room with free tea, coffee, fresh fruit, biscuits etc. Downside was a room on the first floor and no lift. I had a heavy suitcase but a staff member brought my case up to my room. I found the hotel a little difficult to find even with a GPS as the venue was in the country outside of Uxbridge, but well worth the challenge of finding it. This will be the place I would stay in at the end of the next trip to the UK when flying out of Heathrow.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty climbing stairs with luggage ask for a ground floor room or assistance.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear suemissen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at De Vere Venues Denham Grove.

I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and found the location peaceful as well as the staff friendly and polite. My apologies that we could not allocate you a more convenient room, but I am happy to hear that a member of the team was able to assist you with your suitcase.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope when you are next flying into or out of Heathrow airport that I can welcome you back to Denham Grove.

King regards,

Sunny Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We recently stayed here for a wedding that was in the Hotel and chose to stay as it was convenient - if it hadn't have been then perhaps we would have gone elsewhere.

This hotel very much leans towards the business/conference side of things (9.30am check out during the week!) Rooms were...ok. Fairly clean but in need of at least a re-paint, the walls are stained beyond belief and the fact that they only provide one cup and one set of towels for a room booked for 2 adults is pretty lazy.

I'd always been under the impression that De Vere prided itself on its functions, but even that was a little strange - one guest didn't make the wedding but as soon as they cottoned on to this, his food disappeared. Something tells me it probably won't be disappearing from the B&G's bill quite so quickly...! And the fact that the bar for the wedding was cash only. No Cards. No Room Charges. But they won't tell you this until you have been given your drink and they are staring at you waiting to pay. Awkward!

The other major factor was that despite having our PLEASE CLEAN MY ROOM sign on the door since lunchtime, our room was not cleaned when we popped back at 6.30pm! So we mentioned it to the function manager...it still wasn't done at 8.15pm. So we mentioned it to Reception and just asked for fresh towels...this still wasn't done at 10.30pm. In the end my husband waited in Reception for the towels - not really the service you expect anywhere. This was mentioned on checkout and they offered to not charge us for the breakfast we had paid to add on one night...it's still on our bill and paid for though. At that point we just wanted to get home.

One positive was the tea and coffee bars dotted around the Hotel, these are a nice touch but about the only one I can find sadly. Food in the bar was adequate although when you ask whether the pie comes with puff pastry or shortcrust pastry and the answer you get is 'Chef says its the thick type'...you do worry a little. Breakfast was fine, reasonably good choice but frozen bread was a little careless.

Although it's not the worst place we have stayed, we won't be rushing back here or to any other De Vere Hotel. It's fine for a base, just keep your expectations to a minimum.

Room Tip: We had a 'courtyard' room. If you have 99 or 100, they are behind the door with no numbers o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
conway_chris, Front of House Manager at Devere Venues Denham Grove, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear emzyc,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay at Denham Grove with the TripAdvisor community.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and my apologies that your bedroom was not serviced. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure a more thorough check is completed to ensure no bedrooms that require or ask for servicing are missed during the course of the day.

The bar outside our main function suite is as you point out operated on a cash only basis and we do display a sign outside the bar detailing this. I have spoken to our Food & Beverage Manager to ensure this sign is more clearly displayed and I have also discussed with him your comment regarding the way our food is described, so extra training can be arranged.

I have sent you a private message to understand more about your stay and also resolve the breakfast charge issue you mention in your review.

Thank you again for your review of Denham Grove and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hamilton Parish, Bermuda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

On arriving it was a pleasnat atmosphere and plenty of places to park your car. We pack one giant suitcase weighing 27kg and had a room on the first floor! No lift? You cannot be serous? had to lump it up and down those stairs... mmm. Not a great sign. Welcome to your room , room 68! Who said that? The carpet stain on the floor just inside the door. We went for dinner and ordered fish and chips and pie and mash. The mash was cold and the fish was cremated! What sort of chefs/cooks are they emplying here? The beer was good and so were the chips. heading back up and it was muggy with no air con and the Samsung 32" TV didn't work. 15 mins later depsite telling reception i wanted to see the apprentice the helper arrived after originally going to room 58! TV was swapped after I suggested it wasn't the batteries. OK so on to the room. Only 1 towel between the two of us, no complementary water and the pillows were rock hard with not a feather in sight. The hot tap was even on the wrong side. Now I am nit picking but because the room was very tired and in need of an overhaul you tend to look for those celing staines. Oh well it coul have been a good Heathrow stop off but my verdict is give it a miss. Next time I will book the Sofitel well in advance. And the cooks were at it again for breakfast. Everything was overcooked. Crazy stuff. Real orange juice would help too. Are you trying to attract business people or chavs here. Not for me however it could actually be lovely if they refurbished the rooms and got a proper chef in.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Darren L,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review of Denham Grove – we do appreciate all the feedback we receive.

I am disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay. With regards to some of the points you make, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment, but as I am sure you can imagine this does take time to complete. We do not advertise as having air conditioning, but do provide fans in the bedrooms as our weather does not often mean A/C is required! One of our passions at De Vere is creating fabulous food, but it sounds like on your visit, we did not deliver our normally high standard – if this had been brought to our attention we would have swapped it straight away to ensure you had an enjoyable dining experience.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us at Denham Grove and would prefer to stay elsewhere in the future. I have sent you a private message to gain more information about your experience.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend retreat with a group of singers. The hotel is set in lovely grounds and has a rural peacefulness to it. The staff were welcoming and helpful throughout even although they were dealing with a wedding as well as our group. The conference room we used was large and light with access to the outside and excellent audio facilities. The swimming pool is large enough to have a proper swim and there is a well equipped gym. The meals were all great. It's buffet style but a good range in the menu. We had to eat sitting on high stools which wasn't the most comfortable experience but there were other tables with proper chairs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
conway_chris, Front of House Manager at Devere Venues Denham Grove, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Jill C,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with Denham Grove – we do appreciate all the feedback we receive.

It was a pleasure to read that you had such an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us at Denham Grove, finding our location peaceful and our service to a very high standard. It sounds like the conference room was ideal for your weekend and it was nice to hear that the you enjoyed the good selection of food.

Thanks you again for your review and I hope you will consider Denham Grove in the future.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Tucked away down a leafy lane, a good place to stay if you're around North London and want somewhere reasonably priced. I had dinner in the restaurant, which was a hot and cold buffet... I should have ordered a bar meal instead, as the food had dried up a little. Pleasant grounds and bar area. Just like one of the previous reviews don't use the postcode in your SatNav, type in the Hotel name instead.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paul N,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of De Vere Venues Denham Grove with other members of TripAdvisor.

My apologies that you found the presentation of our food not to a good standard. I have passed these comments to our Head Chef to ensure the food we are displaying is always looking at its best. I am pleased to read that you found us good value.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to welcome you back to De Vere Venues Denham Grove in the future.

Front of House Manager

Been to Devere Venues Denham Grove? Share your experiences!