We recently organized a wedding party at Borgo del Grillo, and had approximately 60 of our guests (and ourselves) stay there. We booked the whole place over two days (the weekend) in May/June, right before the medium season started, as per the owners' preference. Our experience was mixed, at best.
The bad: the owner, Serena.
- Despite the time of year (late May/early June), the weather was cold and DURING the wedding party, the owner informed us that she would charge us a very hefty fee (several hundred Euros) to cover the heating costs. Neither she nor her sister, Alessandra (the other owner), had ever mentioned the possibility of extra charges before. On the contrary, a sign in each room clearly states that all charges are included in the fee paid for guests' stay.
- We got over the annoyance (and later paid), and celebrated into the night in the Borgo's indoor party room. The Borgo being in a remote location, we did not think the music would be an issue. In fact, when we were planning the event, we had asked the owners whether there was a time by which we would need to end our party -- the owners had answered that there was none. Nevertheless, again in the middle of our celebrations, the owner barged in to tell us in a very unpleasant way to turn the music off. We had to negotiate with the owner (on our wedding night!!!!) to be able to continue our celebration, as per our prior agreement.
- A similar incident had already happened on Friday night during a smaller dinner we organized.
- A few hours before our wedding, Serena the owner, instructed us to remove an elevated wooden dance floor we had paid a lot of money to have placed on the grass, as she worried it would ruin her lawn -- the fact that her sister, Alessandra, the co-owner, had previously allowed us to install a dance floor made no difference to her.
- The apartments took forever to warm up, and the hot water did not properly work in all apartments.
- The owner, Serena, was not present when our guests started arriving and checking in. When she finally did arrive, she made a stink because she urgently wanted to record everyone's information (which we ended up doing for her, because she was so unpleasant about it). When people checked out, she was slow, and according to several guests, also rude.
Such bad manners, dishonesty, and lack of professionalism were shocking to us given that we were getting married, and had booked the WHOLE place during a period when the Borgo would have had very little activity.
- The location and views are stunning.
- The apartments are spacious and tastefully decorated.
- The custodians who live at the Borgo are very nice and helpful.
Conclusion: wait for the Borgo's management to change, and then plan a nice long vacation there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Borgo del Grillo is an ancent stone made build divided in comfortable farmhouses furnished with: satelite TV, wifi internet, B&B serviceGuest aminities: free parking, tennis court, bocce court, childrens playgrand, barbecues, heated swiming-pool, breathtaking views of the d'Orcia valley ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Borgo del Grillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Borgo Del Grillo Sarteano, Italy - Tuscany