My boyfriend and I stayed at Badia a Coltibuono for 2 nights and absolutely LOVED it! The grounds are beautiful and setting picturesque. It was amazing to think we were staying in an 800 year old building, and that we got to sleep in the monks' rooms! So at the same time, while the setting was beautiful, the rooms were fairly rudimentary and smallish, although we didn't feel like they were missing anything. The amenities in the bathroom smelled amazing (made with olive oil), so I very much enjoyed that bit as well! The place is quite isolated so you literally didn't hear anything at night, which made for a relaxing deep sleep. The air was cool and crisp when we went, so it was nice to sleep with the windows open. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful, and I agree with one of the other reviewers about the fact they could also serve it out in the gardens to make it perfect (instead of the breakfast room, which was still very pretty). Nevertheless the setup of the breakfast made it easy to get to know the other travelers there, and share stories and tips from their travels. Make sure to try the restaurant on site, which had delicious and unique Tuscan dishes, as well as book a wine tasting tour, which also gives you a history of the place. We did ours at 5pm, then got ready for dinner on site.
Last but not least, the service at Badia a Coltibuono was amazing, and they went out of their way to assist us when we needed it.
One tip I would recommend if you are planning on staying there -use a GPS! It's not the easiest place to find, although as you get closer you start to see the signs for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Badia a Coltibuono is the first wine resort in Chianti, opening it's doors to travellers and visitors who want to share a truly unique experience. Here it is possible to encounter the magic of a venue, to observe the slow yet intense rhythm of a 1000 year old abbey and farm and to sleep in history. Guests can rest and relax in the magnificent italian style garden or, during the summer months, around the large open-air swimming pool. At 650 metres above sea level summers are temeprate and the villa naturally cool in the evenings. 800 Hectares of forests, crisscrossed with walking or mountain biking paths provide for a pristine natural backdrop., Facilities for house guests include internet point and 10% reduction on all meals taken at our restaurant, or enrolment in a day cooking class. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Badia a Coltibuono reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Badia a Coltibuono Hotel Gaiole In Chianti
- Badia a Coltibuono Italy/Gaiole In Chianti, Tuscany