My husband and I cannot say enough good things about Badia a Coltibuono! We stayed here for 3 nights in between a very busy Florence and Rome trip. It was the perfect 3 nights of rest and relaxation in one of the most beautiful and unique settings we have ever seen. The surrounding hills reminded us very much of the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, which we love very much. But they are different and have that beautiful Tuscan scenery all around. The grounds of the property are amazing. We sat in the courtyard drinking wine many late afternoons and after dinner. We always felt like we had the place to ourselves. The garden was so beautiful and we can't believe that was the view from our room! Our beds were comfortable and the room was a nice size. There is no air conditioning and while I was a bit concerned with that since we were staying in late August, it ended up being no problem at all. The hills are much cooler than the city and the breeze in our window at night was perfect. It was so peaceful and silent at night that we got excellent sleep here! We spent one day hiking in the surrounding property, which was beautiful but a somewhat strenous hike. We saw wild boar tusk and a bone of a leg and a wallowing pool where they sometimes lay and were a bit concerned we would see a live one but it ended up being fine! We ate in the restaurant all three nights we stayed and it was some of the very best food we had in all of our 2 week vacation in Italy. The Tuscan bread soup was one of the best things I have ever had. We also swam in the pool one afternoon and it was very refreshing and maintained well. We took a wine tour with Francesca and found it to be informative and the wine there is fantastic. We loved the Chianti Classico Riserva 2008 and ordered some to be shipped back home to us. The abbey itself was a fascinating place to stay in. We loved the history of the area and the story of the property. We ventured into 2 nearby towns that were not far and easy to drive to. The breakfast was from 8-10 and I wish it had been a bit longer because we wanted to sleep in here. However it was good. It was a buffet with all kinds of different choices that were good and satisfying. The server will also make you a cappuccino as well. I wish we had been able to stay one or two more nights! We would absolutely stay here again and would recommend this to anyone. We couldn't believe we were actually staying here the entire time we were here because it was so amazing and something you only see on TV or read about!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Badia a Coltibuono is the first wine resort in Chianti, opening it's doors to travellers and visitors who want to share a truly unique experience. Here it is possible to encounter the magic of a venue, to observe the slow yet intense rhythm of a 1000 year old abbey and farm and to sleep in history. Guests can rest and relax in the magnificent italian style garden or, during the summer months, around the large open-air swimming pool. At 650 metres above sea level summers are temeprate and the villa naturally cool in the evenings. 800 Hectares of forests, crisscrossed with walking or mountain biking paths provide for a pristine natural backdrop., Facilities for house guests include internet point and 10% reduction on all meals taken at our restaurant, or enrolment in a day cooking class. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Badia a Coltibuono reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Badia a Coltibuono Hotel Gaiole In Chianti
- Badia a Coltibuono Italy/Gaiole In Chianti, Tuscany