“Wonderful family run B&B” 5 of 5 stars

You added La Maison de Titty to your Saves list
La Maison de Titty
Via Legittimo, 38, 80063 Piano di Sorrento, Italy   |
North Vancouver, Canada
“Wonderful family run B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed for seven nights (cash only) at this wonderful place. Administration was very efficiently done by english speaking daughter of family, TT and run by delightful parents Rita and Mike who couldn't have been more helpful; cheery, very amicable, generous and kind. He spoke pretty good english and she was very chatty in Italian and charades. We were royally treated.
Our accommodations were independent of the main house. Bedroom and bathroom were roomy and very nicely decorated. The position of the toilet may be awkward for anyone with a disability. The other accommodation may have been configured better. Between these two rooms was a room with a good sized couch, wardrobe and drawers, two chairs, a short cupboard we used as a table as it was too cool to sit at the nice big table outside and a kitchenette that included a sink and fridge but the stove did not function so we could not make our bedtime tea we like. An electric kettle would have been good. They very kindly made us hot water when we asked but we hated to have to ask, especially at night. The only other thing was that the wall between our bedroom and the other guest bedroom was not at all sound proof so even a low voice was very easily heard.
Breakfast was out on the big beautifully laid out table under cover but again because of the poor weather we breakfasted most mornings inside their sweet house in their very nice kitchen. They made us a lovely breakfast each day often including their own eggs, herbs and homemade marmalade. They always treated us to wonderful fresh bread, delicious great big mugs of coffee with hot milk and orange juice. Rita encouraged us to picnic with the generous leftovers later in the day.
They were able to give us great advice of different types of restaurants in the area. We enjoyed nearby ‘Ristorante Betania’ for fabulous gourmet, ‘Il Ghiottone’ for excellent whole baked chicken, pizza and salad. In Sorrento town, ‘Da Francas’ for delicious pizza and good cheap wine/beer, ‘La Fenice’ for a little more upscale but reasonable and very good, the ‘Excelsior Hotel’ for gin and tonic on a beautiful patio with a stunning view of the Med and ‘Ritas’ for fabulous paninis and pastries.
Mike was happy to expertly drive us to the various bus, train and ferry stations. We pressed € on him. One day he drove us to attractive Positano then we caught the bus to Amalfi, a town not worth the trouble and in that we were a little pressed for time we wish now we had gone on to Ravello instead.
We had to literally fight our way on to the bus. Sometimes there are cops that control the long waiting lines but they had gone for ‘coffee’ when we were there. It was a horrible experience. Then the ride home to Sorrento was an even worse experience. We were in the stairwell to the middle doors and had to hang from the bars of the door opener to steady ourselves as the bus driver flew around the hairpin bends at record breaking speed. People were vomiting. My husband and I prayed out loud with other passengers and vowed to advise everybody to only board a coastal bus if you can get a seat. Apparently the drivers will always race this treacherous cliff road but as a passenger, make sure you are seated for the ride. In our opinion you are no safer in a car because you would not only be trying to avoid the precarious road's edge but also the maniacal buses!!!
We loved hanging in the pretty town of Sorrento and enjoyed our day in beautiful Capri especially as we took one of those great €20 four hour tours with the fellow at the ferry dock. This took us to Ana Capri too.
We highly recommend staying at this B&B even though we were not able to pay for our seven nights by credit card.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Let me preface by saying that we have never written a bad review. This place, which had received good reviews, was a disappointment from the first. We arrived at Piano di Sorrento by train. Our hosts had promised us, via email, to pick us up at the station. However, the phone at the station was broken, and when we borrowed the cell phone of a friendly passerby to call, no one answered. We walked steeply uphill with our luggage until we reached a pastry shop. The husband and wife owners felt sorry for us, as we had a considerable climb remaining, and the husband took us the remaining way in his car. Only to find no one there. We were exhausted, having flown the "red eye," and had to wait quite a while for anyone to arrive, actually sitting on the driveway. When one of the owners finally arrived (the daughter), she seemed to think the whole thing was rather funny. The father, Michele, wasn't at all friendly and accommodating, as mentioned in other reviews; in fact, he was a little "reprimanding," telling us not to use the air conditioning and otherwise not really around. He did drive us to Sorrento proper the day we left, but that might have only been because of the transportation strike that was going on at that time.
Our room was clean, I must say, but it was very noisy (a lot of city traffic: ambulances, motor scooters beeping, dogs barking) besides some country noises as well (roosters at 4am). In additon, there was some kind of partition above the door from our room into the next which was unreachable, but had been left open. We could hear every sound from next door (coughing all night by neighbors). Sounded like they were in our room, it was so close.
We accidentally left some articles of clothing behind and specifically mentioned where they would be... but when we contacted the hosts, they insisted that they were not there.
Non-attentive hosts.
Not a place we would visit again, or recommend.

Room Tip: Don't choose this place if you need a quiet spot to sleep
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Found the orchard garden surround to the room idyllic, with gorgeous views over the coast from high up on the hill. The room itself was comfortable enough and very clean, of modest size and furnishings.

Breakfast was served each morning in the courtyard garden area, a truly lovely setting. The owner was really very kind and clearly concerned with ensuring that I enjoyed my stay. She came and met me from the taxi and was clearly embarrassed and apologetic that the taxi driver had just charged me 28 EUR for a 7 minute journey from the port.

The hospitality continued as she extended the breakfast to my friend on one morning, who was staying in a nearby hotel (and did not charge for this). On a second occasion, my friend and a relative popped up to help me pack my suitcase and she served coffee and cakes to all three of us, again without adding any charge to my bill. The owner was personable, friendly and welcoming in a way that was obviously genuine and an absolute pleasure to find in a host.

This B&B would suit someone who is looking for a quiet and slightly unusual place to stay perfectly, as it is in marked contrast to the many of the large hotels within Sorrento. It's a little bit of a walk to get into town but do-able (and a girl travelling on her own might find it a tiny bit tucked away at night).

All in all, I thought that this B&B was a fantastic find and would heartily recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

The family is wonderful but don't book online. I made an internet reservation through after failing to reach them when I called by phone from Rome. The price was 30 euros a night, but when I plugged in my credit card it flashed 60 euros. I finally reached the b & b who said she hadn't received my reservation. She said to pay her 30 euros in cash when I arrived. But I called my credit card company who said the charge was pending. When I got to the hotel the place was far away from the coast and the restaurant nearby was closed.The rooms were damp, I couldn't work the TV and there was no wireless. Good for a budget traveler but It was definitely not worth the 60 euros she asked for when i went to leave. She said the booking company charges her a 25 per cent fee, but when I asked her why I was paying a 100 per cent mark up, she could not explain. Worse still, there was a sign on the door that said the maximum charge for a single traveler is 35 euros. But I paid 60. I would have spent the extra money in a nicer place closer to the coast. I suggested she warn people they will be charged this fee if they make an online reservation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Jena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

An excellent accommodation. From the moment I arrived Conchetta and here whole family gave me the feeling being member of their family and immediately I felt at home. A great hospitality, a lot of valuable tips for traveling & dining, the kind help of papa Michele who drove me to the ferry and train. On the other side absolutely not pushy, so I could be alone when I wanted it.

B&B situated in a quiet place outside the bustling center of Sorrento. Lovely garden with lemon & orange trees. Rooms are tasteful furnished, clean, big bathroom (for that kind of accommodation). Good breakfast. Restaurants not far away from B&B. Good public transportation nearby. Very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

From the moment we arrived the owner (father of the family) was very accommodating. He drove us to downtown Sorrento for shopping, the dock for the trip to Capri and the train station for Pompei. Can't say enough for the entire family's help and friendliness. Clean room and good breakfast. Narrow street to b&b, but there is a nearby parking lot and the owner will pick you up.

• Liked — Hospitaliy
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

Absolutely an excellent B&B with a great value for money.

I stayed there for 10 days on august, the place is very quiet and silent, in a small street of Piano di Sorrento from which you can reach in a few minutes the center of Sorrento. The location is central and strategic, if you have a car you can park inside the B&B, if you dont have a car you can move easily with public bus.

The B&B consists in a depandance of the main house, with 3 rooms very clean , well furnished, with air conditionated and a nice garden on the front, where you can be served a very big breakfast with tipical cakes.

The owners are very very kind, you can ask them for almost everything and they will solve your problem.

I know very well Sorrento and I have spent there my holidays since I was a child, I have been in a lot of hotels and B&B and I can surely say that La Maison De Titty is the best one considering the position, the price, the services included, the hospitality of the owners, the beauty of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Maison de Titty? Share your experiences!